advertisement

Conveyancing Fees

Thanks for the all the replies. Have signed nothing as yet. To give more detail the Wife was led to believe them putting on Zoopla would cost £300. No mention was made that they (the Solicitors, also being an Estate Agent) would send someone to take the photos, describe the property and do floor plans. We already had all these,for Sale signs displayed and the Home Report.
Almost two weeks passed between us asking them to put it on Zoopla ,hence depriving us of a much wider audience for that period.
A lady passing in her car saw the for sale sign and made an acceptable offer on the property about two hours after it finally appeared on Zoopla.
Hence we are being charged 1 &1/4 percent on the sale price for them effectively doing squat by their incompetence, no for sale signs, marketing and laughably advertising? for effectively two hours.
Another way larger company quoted me a figure of £1,250 plus vat for conveyancing on a 300K property.
The estimate is based on 250K and the small print suggests any extra 'unforeseen?' costs (at £160/hr) must be agreed to. So they may be looking for another cut on the £287 sale price along with another ridiculous Bill for winding up out late friends Estate?? Methinks speaking to my own Solicitor and the prospective buyer and telling these chancers to stick their quote where the Sun don't shine looks likely.
Must train as a Lawyer in the next Life:) Spent years 1000's of feet up or dangling over the North Sea before surpassing £160 /day before being crippled in accident put me in a desk job running multi million pound contracts and making a few Bob but 10% bonus on what I made a Multi National paid nothing remotely like 160 quid an hour? Makes you wonder!

Thanks for the all the replies. Have signed nothing as yet. To give more detail the Wife was led to believe them putting on Zoopla would cost £300. No mention was made that they (the Solicitors, also being an Estate Agent) would send someone to take the photos, describe the property and do floor plans. We already had all these,for Sale signs displayed and the Home Report.
Almost two weeks passed between us asking them to put it on Zoopla ,hence depriving us of a much wider audience for that period.
A lady passing in her car saw the for sale sign and made an acceptable offer on the property about two hours after it finally appeared on Zoopla.
Hence we are being charged 1 &1/4 percent on the sale price for them effectively doing squat by their incompetence, no for sale signs, marketing and laughably advertising? for effectively two hours.
Another way larger company quoted me a figure of £1,250 plus vat for conveyancing on a 300K property.
The estimate is based on 250K and the small print suggests any extra 'unforeseen?' costs (at £160/hr) must be agreed to. So they may be looking for another cut on the £287 sale price along with another ridiculous Bill for winding up out late friends Estate?? Methinks speaking to my own Solicitor and the prospective buyer and telling these chancers to stick their quote where the Sun don't shine looks likely.
Must train as a Lawyer in the next Life:) Spent years 1000's of feet up or dangling over the North Sea before surpassing £160 /day before being crippled in accident put me in a desk job running multi million pound contracts and making a few Bob but 10% bonus on what I made a Multi National paid nothing remotely like 160 quid an hour? Makes you wonder!

Sounds like the c u nt my wife had the unfortunate meeting with, £360 an hour to rip off a recently redundant shop assistant on minimum wage, you have to laugh.

I only paid him to get him to eff plus I believe in paying something for someone's expertise and he obviously had overheads, expensive office on Bath Street plus secretary but we really didn't have to pay a penny because he never provided a contract or a note of his charges in advance so he would have had a hard time taking that to court.

I've been self-employed for 32 years and if I've learned anything in that time it's that if 'customers' or 'clients' don't want to pay then they don't have to, taking anyone to court is a mug's game and costs way more than you are ever owed, it's a hard pill to swallow but you really are better off walking away cast iron contract or not.

Tell them to f u ck right off mate.

I sold our holiday pad in Cornwal this year for £390K. Our solicitor charged £997.20 incl VAT all in which was a fair price and thats on the SE coast.

DV

If you didn't sign anything all you need to do is make a reasonable offer to settle it. There's no way he'd be able to enforce that bill in court, even if he was stupid enough to try.

I sold our holiday pad in Cornwal this year for £390K. Our solicitor charged £997.20 incl VAT all in which was a fair price and thats on the SE coast.

DV

That’s cheap for (presumably) leasehold / share of freehold. The problem is that some conveyancing solicitors (or rather factories) will have up to 100 cases on their desk at once. Might be OK if it’s cookie cutter stuff but if anything bespoke is required, best of luck. As always, you pay your money and take your choice. Glad it worked out for you.

We have used the same solicitor getting on for 30 years (where has that time gone!!!). The lady works for a practice covering different legal areas but her speciality is conveyancing. We have used her for 3 property purchases and 3 sales over those years all very successful and reasonable value.

She also prodded Cornwall Council over the council tax banding of the holiday pad we were selling and have now received new statements going back over 15 years and a promise of a refund of over £5K! Nice. Looks like they over charged us for our sea views.

DV

advertisement

Back