advertisement

Weird question (Naim related)

snaphappybob

pfm Member
When you look at the back of a NAP250 the speaker outputs are labelled left and right as you'd expect but is left and right from the listeners perspective, which I would expect or from the speakers perspective? I wired them up and when I moved the balance to the left, the balance moved to the right. Switched the cables over and thats fine just wondered whether this is (yet another) quirk of Naim equipment.

It’s a hangover from Naim making amps for pro / studio use with the speaker connections on the front, so the connection labelled left on your 250 (for the left speaker) is on the right from the listener’s perspective. If your amp is between the speakers, the cables should cross.

Note that the current Uniti range has finally abandoned this (un)convention.

Last edited:
It sort of makes sense when one looks on from back of the amp, as ch1 comes before ch2 and most of us read from left to right.

JV used to joke about being left vs. right challenged on the old Naim forum, and that this arraignment was easiest for him. Thankfully, he wasn't a rally driver before starting Naim.

Actually he was a racing driver beforehand, as anyone who had been overtaken by him on the back roads of Salisbury will attest.
I'm not sure if there was a joke in Craig B's post but rally drivers turn the opposite direction for the upcoming corner to get the car sliding first. Called a Scandinavian flick. :)

Reactions: MJS
The left and right speakers are always from how they look from the listeners perspective. I've never known this to ever be different with anyone.
The slight quirk comes with Naim amps which, although clearly labelled (Ch 1 Left and Ch 2 Right), when viewing the amp from the front, the left channel connections are on the right half of the amp (and vise-versa). It makes sense when you are looking at the back of the amp, as the left channel is then on the left, but when you're leaning over the top of the amp to make the connections (as many of us do) it's easy to get it wrong. Hope that helps!

Actually he was a racing driver beforehand, as anyone who had been overtaken by him on the back roads of Salisbury will attest.

Julian-Vereker-Winners-Circle.jpg

Reactions: MJS

advertisement

Back