advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we predicted exactly, unfortunately. The people who sold Brexit to the British were idiots. The British were fooled. A disaster.

Ah no, fools rush in were angels fear to thread. Patience is needed a project as good as this takes 50yrs to get a real feel for the long term impact. In other words JRM is advising to wait till after he leaves the world before judging.

Inflation now baked into the U.K. economy thanks to Brexit as the @rse falls out of the pound:

FT: “Trend hinges on departure from single market”-

HNiaokS.jpg

eA212Od.jpg

My goodness, hadn't noticed that. I checked the rates and the pound is down to 1.16 Swiss francs. Better get in my Amazon.uk orders quickly...

They were not idiots at all: they got what they wanted. Everyone else will pay the price.
Let us see how much damage a Govt can cause in 5 years. But it is 'OK because we can vote them out'.

"We" didn`t last time......
Nor the time before that, the time before that when the warning signs were clear, nor the time before that.

People were, and many still are, idiots.

For objectivity - the Euro also seems to be heading for parity with the dollar - 0.96 euro = 1 USD last time I looked.
Supposedly due to pending (or perhaps possibly even actual by the stage) increase rate rises by the Fed in the US.

For objectivity - the Euro also seems to be heading for parity with the dollar - 0.96 euro = 1 USD last time I looked.
Supposedly due to pending (or perhaps possibly even actual by the stage) increase rate rises by the Fed in the US.

I would add inflation to that. It is rampant everywhere so really can't be blamed on Brexit. What I would be concerned about if I lived in the UK is the FT item on exports. That and the difficulty to turn it around due to choking your options with your biggest market.

Yes, Patten certainly lacks the wisdom, sense of public service and honesty exemplified by your preferred EU opinion formers in the party.

7BUCYKA.jpg

just how low are you prepared to go?

Christ on a bike, you only have to look at them to know that Brexit was a bad idea.

Disappointing from Starmer. He is going after the 5-10% swing who just love a Brexit in the hope it gets him elected. I understand the despair often expressed here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0704/1308262-uk-labour/

Yes the Labour position is an inadequate response and a risible attempt to cover off a group that was never anywhere near his majority support and can only get smaller as more damage is done. There you have it in a nutshell, we are so fvcked. He doesn't have to 'reverse Brexit'. What is needed though are progressive future agreements and a more positive connection to the EU that limits or reverses some of the most absurd self harm.

The Brexit zealots are never going to vote for him. There are times when leadership means you have to admit the country has been directed badly and point to the consequences rather than pretend they are not happening, or that they could somehow 'happen better'.

Yes the Labour position is an inadequate response and a risible attempt to cover off a group that was never anywhere near his majority support and can only get smaller as more damage is done. There you have it in a nutshell, we are so fvcked. He doesn't have to 'reverse Brexit'. What is needed though are progressive future agreements and a more positive connection to the EU that limits or reverses some of the most absurd self harm.

The Brexit zealots are never going to vote for him. There are times when leadership means you have to admit the country has been directed badly and point to the consequences rather than pretend they are not happening, or that they could somehow 'happen better'.

I think (hope) that's what Labour is going to do (bold bit). Making the positive case for closer ties, small and gentle as they may be, is probably a wiser course to take politically at this time than actively leading on Brexit, as frustrating as that is to many. It will only re-ignite the culture wars (Boris's preferred 'strategy'), and a lot of voters have more immediate concerns on their minds - basic survival, the NHS, inflation, the moral free zone in No.10, etc. Also, Labour still need to build up credibility with the electorate (long Corbyn etc). 'Centering'/elevating - but not forgetting - Brexit in the political discourse will undermine that process IMO. Recent polling suggests a lot of people are beginning to wake-up to downside benefits of Brexit, a trend that could drip drip drip all the way into the next GE (especially if it is called this year). Labour should tap into, and encourage, that trend and continue to build on the local election wins by EU-friendly parties.

Disappointing from Starmer. He is going after the 5-10% swing who just love a Brexit in the hope it gets him elected. I understand the despair often expressed here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0704/1308262-uk-labour/
Do you notice something quite striking in the piece? Starmer talks about making the Northern Ireland Protocol work to “get a better deal for the British people”. He doesn’t even feel it necessary to refer once to the views of the democratic majority in Northern Ireland. It’s precisely the same cynical nonsense both be and Johnson are pulling on voters in Scotland where even if they pooled all the votes for both their parties, they still couldn’t meet the SNP’s majority.

Everything Johnson and Starmer do is strictly dictated by their appeal to voters within England. No one can vote for them in N.Ireland and virtually no one will vote for them in Scotland.

First time I went Switzerland there were 10 Swiss Francs to the Pound....

The following year 8....
When I bought my Rolex GMT-Master in December 1975, it cost me under $AU300, as there were then 3 Swiss francs to the Australian Dollar (yes! A GMT-Master cost 800 and something francs!). Now it's somewhere around 0.60 Swiss francs to the $AU.

Do you notice something quite striking in the piece? Starmer talks about making the Northern Ireland Protocol work to “get a better deal for the British people”. He doesn’t even feel it necessary to refer once to the views of the democratic majority in Northern Ireland. It’s precisely the same cynical nonsense both be and Johnson are pulling on voters in Scotland where even if they pooled all the votes for both their parties, they still couldn’t meet the SNP’s majority.

Everything Johnson and Starmer do is strictly dictated by their appeal to voters within England. No one can vote for them in N.Ireland and virtually no one will vote for them in Scotland.

Yes agree it is very obvious and if you point it out among Brexiteers it is regarded as trolling. Very similar to the approach against Mick Lynch by Boris, Tory MP's and the media.
It is clearly all about England not the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back