advertisement

New active speaker day! (AE1s), which DAC/Pre to pair?

lAmBoY

pfm Member
I am selling my quad Vena2 and S1's to go active in my home office rig. I have incoming today some acoustic energy AE1 actives, but the dac/pre market is awash with options. So much so that it is a hornets nest in the £500 and below area. I have read so much on ASR but it is bewildering, and I say that being a card carrying level11 tech wizard.

I will be going laptop USB in and XLR out to speakers exclusivley, it needs to have a volume knob, and as I use Tidal I would like MQA support although that isnt a game changer for me as I flip between Tidal and qobuz occasionaly.

Any recommendations? Any folks here own the AE1A's?

I’d be tempted to push your budget a bit and get an Audiolab MDac Plus. Cheaper DAC’s with vol control are often compromised. Or get a cheap preamp and a separate DAC.

Well many moons ago I owned the original Audiolab MDac, I am sure they have changed but the build quality was not great at the time. I will add to the possibles list, thanks.

Well many moons ago I owned the original Audiolab MDac, I am sure they have changed but the build quality was not great at the time. I will add to the possibles list, thanks.

Not heard that, I have a friend who has one along with a cd transport and really likes it.

I do like the pre-DAC concept though but I have a Weiss unit which is clearly over your budget.

You could use a Chord Mojo but it would be fiddly as it doesn’t have a proper manual style volume control.

Best DAC I have ever heard was actually built into my Hegel H160 amp....wish I'd never sold that beast. I am running a Gato amp/dac in my main rig now. I am expecting a £500ish dac/pre to outperform the gato, I will run a comparison eventually.

Topping D30 Pro? £360.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Y88Y8QV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Balanced outputs, USB In, volume pot on the front and a remote to boot.

If you put stock in such things - I know some don't - Amir at ASR rates it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d30pro-review-balanced-dac.20259/

Or the Gustard X16? £390.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08N46CHSH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Same story, plenty of inputs, balanced outputs, bluetooth (could be handy for an office/desktop system?). Amir also rates that one well too. It also has MQA*.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/gustard-x16-balanced-mqa-dac-review.17419/

*although why would you want this shite anyway..?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There's a bargain ifi Zen in the classifieds well below budget - has a balanced out (though not XLR, 4.4mm jack, you'd need to adapt), and is an MQA renderer (not decoder). No connection to seller, I fancy it myself but don't need another DAC!

Keep the Vena 2 and use the pre-amp out ;)

I don't think balanced outputs would make any significant difference in your preposed set up.

I don't know if the amps in the speakers are balanced (I doubt it )

ronnie

The Benchmark DAC2 is a bit too expensive. I will try the Vena as a comparison so maybe I will just grab a Loxjie D40 or a Gustard x16 from Amazon to pitch against. Easy to return if required.

Interesting thread. I've just bought a pair of AE1 Active's too and am looking at the same question!

Main requirement for me is a DAC that has:

- XLR outputs
- Headphone amp
- Switchable headphone/XLR from the front panel so I don't have to unplug my headphones to get sound to the AE1's (I'm too lazy to get off my chair to unplug them)
- Prefer ethernet connection on the DAC and Roon endpoint (trying to cut down on boxes)
- < £1k budget

Can I find anything remotely like this?? Not yet. The Matrix Audio look good but they don't have a switchable output from the front panel. The Loxjie D40 looks nice but doesn't have ethernet connection.

Interesting thread. I've just bought a pair of AE1 Active's too and am looking at the same question!

Main requirement for me is a DAC that has:

- XLR outputs
- Headphone amp
- Switchable headphone/XLR from the front panel so I don't have to unplug my headphones to get sound to the AE1's (I'm too lazy to get off my chair to unplug them)
- Prefer ethernet connection on the DAC and Roon endpoint (trying to cut down on boxes)
- < £1k budget

Can I find anything remotely like this?? Not yet. The Matrix Audio look good but they don't have a switchable output from the front panel. The Loxjie D40 looks nice but doesn't have ethernet connection.

How crucial is the ethernet?

With my Dynaudio Focus 110A actives I've long ago settled on a Benchmark DAC Pre/USB. Works great. Good headphone amp too, drives my Hd800 with ease. Lacks a remote though.

I'd recommend it and when/if it fails I'll move up to the Benchmark DAC2/3 with remote.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back