advertisement

fo.q tape

I don't get what all the fuss is about. No one's harmed by OP having a bit of fun experimenting with the stuff. The levels of snark flying around really make this place uninviting sometimes.

@MarkieW before dismantling your TV, perhaps the crossovers in your speakers would be a better experiment?
I agree. There’s been a fair bit of bear-baiting towards the OP, though he hasn’t helped his cause any by the way he has responded to it.

Tangentially on topic and apologies in advance if this is too much ‘keeping it real’, but I have a few bits of lovely Croft kit which have a little bit of toroid transformer vibration hum which is exacerbated when the hammerite case is on. Case off = hum barely there, case on = yep can hear it. Will any of these damping miracle cures help with that?

I suspect the stuff used to damp vibrations in the metal panels of cars may work OK. As, probably will the sheets of stuff sold for people making loudspeakers. Similarly, if you plonk some carpet tile on top, and perhaps something like a ceramic tile onto that to hold it down... Chances are you can find something like thiswhich is cheaper and more effective. Visit the local DIY.

I realise I have made a mistake. With no experience of this product you all know better than someone who has actually tried it.

Erm... well, speaking from the (repeated) experience of using various wheezes to damp down audible vibrations my point is that the chances are that you and others can easily find something cheaper and better. e.g.s above.

MarkieW why not just drop it now. Folk here and elsewhere will have made their minds up by now whether to try this product or not.
It's going round in circles.

Where's the fun in that? Based on your average cable thread I reckon this is good for another 500+ posts...

p06w9djs.jpg

Tangentially on topic and apologies in advance if this is too much ‘keeping it real’, but I have a few bits of lovely Croft kit which have a little bit of toroid transformer vibration hum which is exacerbated when the hammerite case is on. Case off = hum barely there, case on = yep can hear it. Will any of these damping miracle cures help with that?
I had this problem with a CDP and applying some Dynamat stuff to the case, as Jim suggests, cut hum by around 50%.

But it still doesn't answer why every manufacturer of hifi is not doing this. It's not licences, or IPR or anything like that.

If it is so cheap, and generates so much improvement, then it's a no brainer to any industry, think of the revenue increase.
The same argument could be used for all mods. A number of manufacturers have selectively applied damping to components, eg. Arcam to DAC chips IIRC.

I think I tend to be sceptical because I have never read a post along the lines of ‘I spent £50 on sticky pads, put them on my capacitors and everything sounded truly horrible.’ Surely by the law of averages I should have by now? Or are all changes always for the better?
I've never read a post saying a replaced the 99p phono lead with a quality hifi version and the results were horrible. Maybe that's because it always improves things.

I suspect the stuff used to damp vibrations in the metal panels of cars may work OK. As, probably will the sheets of stuff sold for people making loudspeakers. Similarly, if you plonk some carpet tile on top, and perhaps something like a ceramic tile onto that to hold it down... Chances are you can find something like thiswhich is cheaper and more effective. Visit the local DIY.
There are differences of opinion about the damping materials used in loudspeakers, say. Russell K, for example, argue that damping creates a delay-release effect, which is audible in its effect on timing. So massy damping might not be the solution you’d expect, if it doesn’t convert all vibration to heat, but stores and releases some of it.

I tried some expensive silver (silver coated?) speaker wire in my bedroom system years ago and it sounded terrible. :D

On the other hand expectation bias makes every amp I put together sound better than the last one. Which is nice.

I tried some expensive silver (silver coated?) speaker wire in my bedroom system years ago and it sounded terrible. :D

No surprise there then. Silver-plated conductors in analogue cables invariably do. It's where silver's reputation for supposedly being bright or thin-sounding tends to come from. High quality pure silver cables tend not to sound like that at all.

Morning, thanks for the more level headed replies above. Good to see there are some slightly more sympathetic voices around. Yes, it was simply a thread about trying out something new that I found works well. I thought that it would be interesting to people who shared an interest in the same hobby as me, you live and learn though.

@gustav_errata - yep have considered that, but its not obvious on my speakers how to get inside them! I am however building some criton 1tdx's at the moment so that is obviously something I have already attended to in the build! Now does anyone know how to get the back off an LG TV? ;)

There are differences of opinion about the damping materials used in loudspeakers, say. Russell K, for example, argue that damping creates a delay-release effect, which is audible in its effect on timing. So massy damping might not be the solution you’d expect, if it doesn’t convert all vibration to heat, but stores and releases some of it.

Yes, it makes sense to experiment. But from experience this seems a simple and easy way to get satisfactory results if you want to reduce mechanical vibrations. And can use quite cheap materials. Carpet tile, sheets of squidgy 'rubber' sold for various purposes, etc.

Why wouldn't it work .
30 years ago Noel Keywood was dampening speaker capacitors with blue tack
Look at the effort Naim put into dealing with micro vibrations in circuit boards and connecting plugs

The 732 amp I designed has its mains transformer on a 'squidgy' mat. And another load of 'squidgy' on the lid of the box to dampen down and mechanical hum. I think it was material sold to dampen rattles in car panels or something like that. But too long ago to recall.

advertisement

Back