advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Got first symptoms 2 weeks ago, Mrs followed about 3 days later. Flu like symptoms followed by squirts then complete loss of taste and smell for about 3 or 4 days. General recovery but the last 5 days pretty lousy with a chest infection, probably weakness from asthma. On antibiotics so fingers crossed. Thankfully Mrs is doing fine.

All the best!

Our Hospital, like most others, has just reintroduced mask wearing and patient testing on admission 12 days after stopping both. Hardly a surprise!
TBF Hospitals were only following central Government mandate, ‘living with Covid’, by stopping both in the first place.

Bad news here too. Tested positive Thursday evening having felt cr4p with flu like symptoms all that day but with a negative morning test. Just feel washed out now, taste and smell gone, and defo attacks of the squirts!
Assuming was from the Rammstein gig last Sunday as at work (hospital) we all always have a mask on.

Had jab number five yesterday on the advice of my consultant.

It was my first Moderna one but no real side effects so far and nice to feel I have updated my protection in light of the latest Omicron wave.
Good but:
From The Guardian article above:
"The UK has only offered a limited group fourth doses, and even then, uptake looks poor. Even if we had good vaccination coverage, we have entered a period of diminishing returns. A study reported in the BMJ last week showed us that the protection gained from a fourth booster dose likely wanes even faster than previous boosters."

Get well soon @RoyleBlue

Smell up to 40% (?).
Used to fast walk an hour every other day and was on week 4 of couch to 5K. Did 20min slow walk yesterday and had to have a lie down.
Still having occasional coughing fits.
Still full of catarrh.
Swelling at injection sites has lessened as has arm and torso heat rash but still present.

No alcohol for three weekends!

I'm immune-suppressed and had my 5th vaccine (Pfizer) on June 10th and will more than likely have a 6th, along with the flu jab, some time in October. If I do get infected then I should, fingers crossed, be eligable for anti-viral treatment as I have a rheumatoid arthritis related lung condition too.........

I'm immune-suppressed and had my 5th vaccine (Pfizer) on June 10th and will more than likely have a 6th, along with the flu jab, some time in October. If I do get infected then I should, fingers crossed, be eligable for anti-viral treatment as I have a rheumatoid arthritis related lung condition too.........

Hopefully there will be approval for the new Moderna vaccine before the autumn - they'll likely be another wave after the summer holidays...

We never hear anything nowadays about vaccine rollout in the poorer nations

Thanks for the support folks. I think SWMBO did me a huge favour "ordering" me to ring the surgery. Ours is still mostly excellent even though I have to drive 4 miles e/w now.. I rang, they said a Dr would call, call received half hour later, drove to surgery, got prescription and referral for chest x-ray. The way my symptoms were going (almost passing out with each coughing fit) I'd have been in hospital by now. It's still pretty awful but the antibiotics seem to be winning.
The annoying thing is it was so silly, we've been careful for 2 years and missed it. I really thought we were some of the lucky ones who had natural immunity. We were invited to our godson's wedding in Cyprus. At our age (late 60s) we should have said no.

All the best to the latest pfm'ers to fall foul of the virus. Hope you all keep relatively well and come out the other side soon. Lots of people I know or know of have it right now. Keeping my head down as much as I can atm. Doesn't help when the majority of the general public seem to no longer give a shit and the government definitely doesn't.

I Tested positive yesterday.. I was on the clinically extremely vulnerable list, so I’m a bit concerned. I’ll just have to Strap in and ride the rollercoaster.

UK scientists warn of urgent need for action on vaccines to head off autumn Covid wave
Expert fear that new variants will emerge and stress the need to prepare the best drugs to combat it

"And while most experts said they expected the current wave – driven by the Omicron BA4 and BA5 variants of the virus – to peak in a few weeks, they also warned that it will inevitably be followed by another wave this autumn. “Our current planning assumptions are that we will see at least one wave [of Covid] in the autumn-winter period once we have got through the current wave that we’re in right now,” said Susan Hopkins, chief medical adviser at the UK Health Security Agency."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ion-on-vaccines-to-head-off-autumn-covid-wave

There really needs to be a vaccine that better limits infection but the foot has very much come off the accelerator regarding new research
Can't help but think it's going to need a nastier variant combined with waning immunity before anyone in a position of power starts listening again, makes you wonder why we all bothered in 2020/2021 if this is the way they are going to behave over it now.

advertisement

Back