advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace Motor Question (on / off)

stephen_cowslip

pfm Member
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace and have it set up and singing beautifully.

I know you need to spin the platter to get the motor going but do you need to switch it off at the mains to power the motor down or does stopping the platter suffice?

I have the printed manual but I can't find anything in there to tell me one way or the other..

Cheers all

Stephen

You just start/stop the platter by hand.

Thanks for the reply.

The seller was adamant that you needed to turn it off at the mains to ensure the motor switches off, which didn't seem quite right to me.

So I'm OK to leave the TT switched on indefinitely and just start and stop the platter by hand. Sounds much more like it :)

Cheers

The owner was right, without a switch in between the plug and motor if left on the motor is 'powered up' all the time, it just doesn't have the necessary torque to start the platter spinning without manual assistance, having owned a Hyperspace many years ago and now a Dais, I would recommend the Wave Mechanic PSU, in the meantime I'd recommend switching it off at the socket when not in use.

The owner was right, without a switch in between the plug and motor if left on the motor is 'powered up' all the time, it just doesn't have the necessary torque to start the platter spinning without manual assistance, having owned a Hyperspace many years ago and now a Dais, I would recommend the Wave Mechanic PSU, in the meantime I'd recommend switching it off at the socket when not in use.

Thanks, Darren.

I was just reading another thread on this forum which came up in a Google search.

Apparently Tom Fletcher said you could leave it on, as he did with all of his decks but I would have to agree with you on this one, especially considering the age of the motor. Thread had mixed opinions.

I'll err on the side of caution.

You MUST turn off when not in use. You will burn out one of the coils if you leave it on.

The motor hasn't enough torque to start rotation from stop, but stays permanently energised if connected to the mains - touch the motor drive pulley - it shudders.

Tom Fletcher did not have to pay for new motors and probably didn't have any one motor for very long. No-one would ever dream of leaving a motor switched on that was stopped/stalled in any other application.

Even if it didn't harm the motor as per Vinny's post, purely from a mechanical sympathy point of view I'd have to turn it off.

Tom was absolutely adamant that you didn’t need to turn it off and that it didn’t harm the motor type he used at all even long term. I have to admit I did turn mine off when I had a Spacedeck as I turn everything on/off at my switched mains block anyway, but I heard the man himself say it was no issue and he’d be the one expected to fix any failures. It is a very, very low-torque motor.

PS If it was a real concern it would be very simple to stick an inline switch in the motor mains cable of the type one would use for a lamp or whatever, so certainly no need to buy some expensive PSU!

The stationary resistance of electric motors is just a few ohms, the impedance when moving is large.

The current draw when stationary/seized/stalled is WAY beyond design continuous rating.

I'd go with Vinny, Darren L and matt j on this. If leaving it on is controversial, turn it off. I only know the Wave Mechanic on my Dais and most certainly turn that off as the rubber belt is slipping on the spindle each time it's not actually turning the platter. I left the W.M. on one night and wasn't happy, though no apparent impairment occurred after a belt/spool clean.

Does the motor have its own built-in supply, then, for its need to be switched off at the mains? From the above posts, Tom Fletcher didn't actually say it was beneficial to keep the motor on.

Does the motor have its own built-in supply, then, for its need to be switched off at the mains? From the above posts, Tom Fletcher didn't actually say it was beneficial to keep the motor on.

The motor plugs straight into the mains, no switch in the circuit.

Thanks, Darren.

I was just reading another thread on this forum which came up in a Google search.

Apparently Tom Fletcher said you could leave it on, as he did with all of his decks but I would have to agree with you on this one, especially considering the age of the motor. Thread had mixed opinions.

I'll err on the side of caution.

Aye, after I'd owned the Hyperspace for a few years I needed to replace the motor, I had left it on all the time:rolleyes:, it wasn't either difficult or expensive to replace.

I’ve replaced a few of these motors for owners of these turntables. One was burnt out and the other two were noisy. I think because the motor chatters away when the platter is stationary the bearing sleeves can wear unevenly especially if the owner does not use the turntable for long periods. There’s no logical reason to leave one of these turntables powered up when not in use.

It would be so simple to put a switch similar to this (eBay) within easy reach of the motor pod should one wish.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve replaced a few of these motors for owners of these turntables. One was burnt out and the other two were noisy. I think because the motor chatters away when the platter is stationary the bearing sleeves can wear unevenly especially if the owner does not use the turntable for long periods. There’s no logical reason to leave one of these turntables powered up when not in use.
My spacedeck motor became noisier over time...... I began switching it off.

I think I'll stick with the power off...

Now I've got to think about whether to use a mat or not! Another contentious subject!

Was thinking no mat but now I've just used a carbon fibre brush to clean a record while spinning on the naked platter and I pressed too hard which caused the record to "stick" with the platter going underneath. Ooof.

It would be so simple to put a switch similar to this (eBay) within easy reach of the motor pod should one wish.
Exactly what I have. Saves crawling about unplugging at the mains. Put your finger on the pulley when the platter is stationary. You think it sensible to leave that throbbing 24/7?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
..........Now I've got to think about whether to use a mat or not! Another contentious subject!

Probably not so contentious with NAS decks - the principle of design is to make things so massive that the turntable runs quiet etc. That said, latest versions have what is called a carbon mat.

I have experimented and found nothing worth the hassle - as built is fine.

All the Notts turntables were designed to be used without mat. The clue is in the centre well for the record label and the fact that the mat appeared some years after the turntables. Tom introduced the mat with a "hey kid', for those who want a tone control". God bless Tom.

advertisement

Back