advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

The latest, Rolling Blackouts C.F. - ‘Endless Rooms’ is excellent, not really heard of them before. If you like the Go Betweens I think you will like this, there are also some Fall inflections on some tracks.

Moderat: More D4ta. Have seen him live a while back; a good friend is pathological about this guys offerings. I find them hit or miss; some great tracks in the past. This album is my favorite with Drum Glow (need a big system to hear the full effects) & Neon Rats probably going to be a big club track.

The Monophonics album is actually better than I expected, I'm really liking it. Again, nothing ground breaking just good music. I have a vinyl copy to listen to if I ever get things up and running.

Moderat: More D4ta. Have seen him live a while back; a good friend is pathological about this guys offerings. I find them hit or miss; some great tracks in the past. This album is my favorite with Drum Glow (need a big system to hear the full effects) & Neon Rats probably going to be a big club track.

Loved III, and saw them on that tour. Hammersmith Odeon. We were in the balcony and the building shook at, I guess, <20Hz at times. Brilliant!

I’d missed this new release, listening now and promising, so thanks.

A lovely album, that floats beautifully from beginning to end. I’ve listed via Qobuz, and ordered the “dinked” vinyl which lands around 2036* I think.

*might be a bit sooner, but a bit of a wait nonetheless.

Definitely a departure from Goldie. Trip hop, jungle, garage, ambient and even squeezes something close to happy hardcore; keep on forgetting he's the grandmaster flash of all of these sub-genre's of dance. It was good enough that I purchased straightaway but I must admit putting away in the listen again corner sometime eventually. A buddy ask if I come across it and must admit its worth a listen.
Subjective: The Start of No regret

Crest by Bladee/Ecco2k.

(Since we're an audiophile forum ... Discogs says MP3 only, but Qobuz tech team investigated and said their files are genuine 16/44. I did some basic checks of purchased download: the file sizes look normal for 16/44 and spectrum goes to 22kHz, anyway.)

Last edited:
I was very much looking forward to this widescreen release showing up last week, Kuedo’s lush and soundtrack-y Infinite Window...

(...but streaming only for now as both vinyl and cd versions have just been put back another month, aarghh!!)

Interpol - The Other Side Of Make Believe

This isn't really working for me.

Great production from Flood. Guitars great, vocals great, Sam Fogarino's drumming really excellent.

In isolation, each song is good, but as an album, it never really kicks off. It has a woozy, almost stoner feel to it, instead of that focussed sound of old. It never really grabs you.

It's really great, but at the same time, not really great.

Disappointing.

Interpol - The Other Side Of Make Believe

Disappointing.

Not sure that was the point of the thread bor ;)

But, agreed, they've been treading water musically for some years now. I still buy their albums, but they just don't grab me anymore. The songs on this one generally sound too busy and messy. The guitar interplay sounds tired. There's one towards end of side one that is slow, and more spacious, and that works much better. I tried it again early after your post but not doing it for me either!

Anyway, now for someone to post about something they like :)

I know, I know, but if we want transparency you got to post the rough with the smooth.

I'll still give it another chance, but so far it just seems to lack energy.

advertisement

Back