advertisement

R2 Afternoon to Change.

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
I haven't listened to Radio 2 in the afternoon for years, but I tuned in today for a break from the usual opinionated political sleaze on the talky channels.

Steve Wright has been doing it for 24 years apparently. It does seem like it, because I remember driving home listening to it many years (and jobs) ago.

So today he announced he won't be doing it from September. Quite the coincidence since I've not listened recently and the announcement of the change is made.

Is it the end of an era?

My daughter has been leaving Radio 2 on for their young dog while they are out. I said it was cruel to do that!
We went around yesterday and Steve Wright was on and still being as annoying (and as unfunny) as if he was still on Radio 1
He is now 67 which is about 180 in DJ years

Many years ago on Usenet I was confused when a US member of a group I was in said that 'Steve Wright is really funny'. I thought she must be deranged, but it transpired that there are in fact two different Steve Wrights. In the UK we were landed with the totally unfunny one.

I could never work out how he came to be number three on this list:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57722068.amp

He was ok (sometimes) in the early 80s on Radio one, but is now we'll past his sell by date.

I prefer Radio X when I can access Dab, but unfortunately in my car I only have FM, so end up flicking the buttons frequently, and nearly always avoid R2 on my way home

Only 24 years? I would have said he’s been doing it for twice as long! I don’t mind him myself, but then again I only catch a few minutes of his show once in a blue moon.

He's the last Radio 2 jock on the old level big salaries, refused to accept a reduction when others did. Well he's made it all the way to retirement age on half a million a year plus a couple of ancillary hangers on in his programme.

24 years on Radio 2 afternoons I believe.
Radio 1 afternoons before that.., not sure how far back.

He briefly had a breakfast show with a farting milkman, but that was terrible.

Good Evening All,

I certainly won't miss him as R2 does appear to be a rest home for ex R1 DJ's.

I haven't really been able to listen to the breakfast show since TW ceased running it. I have no idea how the current talentless wonder who does the show currently has survived so long.

The question is who will be the replacement for the afternoon show. Any chance say somebody Lauren Laverne getting the gig???

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

I certainly won't miss him as R2 does appear to be a rest home for ex R1 DJ's.

I haven't really been able to listen to the breakfast show since TW ceased running it. I have no idea how the current talentless wonder who does the show currently has survived so long.

The question is who will be the replacement for the afternoon show. Any chance say somebody Lauren Laverne getting the gig???

Regards

Richard
I think they said Simon Mayo or one of the other 80s m ale DJs.

Also, there was apparently a gap between R1 and R2, sometime in the 90s. I was always amused by the fact that he spent 40 years playing the same songs to *the same people* for so bloody long. I never much liked him, but credit where it's due, plenty did, otherwise the BBC would have dumped him.

Scott Mills is replacing Wright he’s a million times better than SW who is terrible especially that singing or whatever shite he does to ruin a song at the end of the music think Tony Blackburn was having a dig at him last week when he said something like anyone who sings at the end of a song should be shot.

The next one to go should be that Zoe Ball who’s on in the morning she’s absolutely chronic .

Good Evening All (again),

I think Simon Mayo was a loss to R2. Scott Mills is OK though.

As for the Drive Time show host...........

Regards

Richard

Thank goodness!

Steve Wright "in the afternoon" was the reason I stopped listening to R2 on my way home from distant jobs after he replaced Johnny Walker.

I could never understand why they said that "Steve Wright in the afternoon" was covered by BBC copyright, who did they think would ever want to copy it!

advertisement

Back