advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: IV VONC

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘The purpose of satire, it has rightly been said, is to strip away the veneer of comforting illusion and half-truth, and our job, as I see it, is to gently put it back again’ (Michael Flanders).

Nope. It means you have to engage with it to get the most from it. Like art.

I choose not to, as do you, but lack of investment of time on my part does not make it universally "crap". Were that to be the case, all opera, ballet and Impressionist painting would be "crap" also.

I think you might be slightly over-elevating Cold War Steve, but I'll go along with it.

The Tory Party has been taken over by Benny Hill, riddled with middle aged men who can’t control their impulse. They’re either in jail, awaiting trial, suspended from the Commons or have had the whip removed. What are they putting in the tea at the 1922 committee?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sing-myself-and-others?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That’s a killer opening line in a resignation letter “Last night I drank far too much”. It reads like it was written hastily for him by one of the other whips before being requested he sign it.

It also sounds like the first line of a Pink Floyd song.

The Pink Floyd track goes on:

‘Sitting in a club with so many fools’, which seems to be a good fit with the Carlton Club.

It doesn't float my boat either, too vitriolic, but it's not artless, it's no different from what Gilray was doing in the 18th century.
Yes, Gillray’s satire of the Prince Regent speared the same personal vices as Johnson- greed and recklessness- with very similar visual references.
Here’s one of his suppressed plates that has resonance today:

“John Bull Bombarding the Bum Boats” French rowing boats seen off with ‘farts and turds from his own bum’.

n3Fa3Jx.jpg

Yes, Gillray’s satire of the Prince Regent speared the same personal vices as Johnson- greed and recklessness- with very similar visual references.
Here’s one of his suppressed plates that has resonance today:

“John Bull Bombarding the Bum Boats” French rowing boats seen off with ‘farts and turds from his own bum’.

n3Fa3Jx.jpg

How things change. It's now "Tank-topped bum boats"?

I think you might be slightly over-elevating Cold War Steve, but I'll go along with it.

It's only with the benefit of time and retrospect can such judgements / comparisons be made. I think in time, he will be seen in the same light. You don't. Vive la difference.

I’d put money on CWS being looked back on with huge cultural relevance. He is far too good to be overlooked. Russ Jones’s The Week In Tory too. The best satire of this era by far IMHO. I don’t even bother watching things like HIGNFY, Mock The Week etc anymore, they are days or even weeks old by the time of broadcast, and seem pretty safe and dull now. I haven’t bought a newspaper this century. I’ve no idea why anyone does.

Nothing, but they don’t do made to measure IIRC, and the least you should expect of the leader of a G7 country is that his clothes fit him properly.

Some people could wear a bin liner and look great; others a Saville Row suit and look like they have just woken up in Woolies shop doorway ....

Some people could wear a bin liner and look great; others a Saville Row suit and look like they have just woken up in Woolies shop doorway ....

Certain body shapes, like mine, will always look like ten pounds of s**t poured into an eight pound bag, Saville Row or Matalan.

Just reading up on Chris Pincher and have to say he is a brave man. In 2017 he made "unwanted advances" on Alex Story, former Olympic rower and the heaviest man to row for Cambridge in the Boat Race, so at a guess he is 7ft tall and weights 130 kilos!

Just reading up on Chris Pincher and have to say he is a brave man. In 2017 he made "unwanted advances" on Alex Story, former Olympic rower and the heaviest man to row for Cambridge in the Boat Race, so at a guess he is 7ft tall and weights 130 kilos!

You've somewhat missed the real balance of power governing that incident.

I’d put money on CWS being looked back on with huge cultural relevance. He is far too good to be overlooked. Russ Jones’s The Week In Tory too. The best satire of this era by far IMHO. I don’t even bother watching things like HIGNFY, Mock The Week etc anymore, they are days or even weeks old by the time of broadcast, and seem pretty safe and dull now. I haven’t bought a newspaper this century. I’ve no idea why anyone does.
His description of Lawrence Fox is exquisite, “ an exhumed Regency orphanage worrier”.

One of Johnson’s tame oligarch backers, “Lord” Lebadev, has now teamed up with Saudi murderer and oppressive dictator Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (Byline Times).

Keep an eye out for when The Skewer comes back on R4. Not on at the mo, but the last episode is here for a taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back