advertisement

Lu's Thread

we had Petplan with Gin and Tonic, they were little help with Tonic's long term and ongoing illness until she was euthanised aged 21. They just excluded her condition and put up the premiums

Our insurance went from £11 a month 6 years ago for one dog, to £112 a month for two. I have cancelled it and now put the £100 a month away. I am sick of being ripped off, and the takeover of local vets by venture capitalists linked to pharmaceutical supply and pet insurance, creating monopolies in the whole supply chain, is disgusting.

Our insurance went from £11 a month 6 years ago for one dog, to £112 a month for two. I have cancelled it and now put the £100 a month away. I am sick of being ripped off, and the takeover of local vets by venture capitalists, linked to pharmaceutical supply and pet insurance, creating monopolies in the whole supply chain, is disgusting.

yes the link between vets, medicines, food and massive companies is terrible. There is a supply chain that restricts practice. Take Nestle they have massive shares in vet practices, and own pet food companies, and operate veterinary medicines companies

If she settles easy, then I'll go with Midge.

Partly because Midge - the JR terrier - was may favourite between 1968 and 1970.

Dogs, and horses to some extent, have been my friends for nearly sixty years. I guess that this little slightly unloved ratter is going to have great life with me. Terriers have all the mental acuity of a Welsh Collie, and have a real understanding of their carer. I hesitate to say owner, because terriers may well call you pack-leader, but they never stop challenging. I love that aspect. A pacific dog is more or less a bore ...

I don't think I have been so pent up for the change [to sharing my space] for forty years!

Saturday will see pictures of me and my kindly little dog roaming the Bromyard Downs ...

This is best week in my life since 1997, when I finally lost Fred the Collie. That was not a great week, but for twelve years each week was great.

Best wishes from George

never name a new pet after another that has departed. You are trying to recreate something long gone. A new pet is new, a new relationship something to look forward to.

The dog has its name already Luna, stick with it.

never name a new pet after another that has departed. You are trying to recreate something long gone. A new pet is new, a new relationship something to look forward to.

The dog has its name already Luna, stick with it.

Yeah, Luna is a great name George, trust me!

If anyone wants to do anything different about looking after a dog, I would recommend having a look at Support dogs. If youlive within an hours radius of Sheffield, you can either look after puppy for around 12 months or a dog while it gets trained before it goes to be placed with someone who needs some support.

We have looked after 5 labs so far who have all been at the placement stage. Our current dog, Russell, is not far off from graduating from "school". You help with the training and over the the last couple weeks Mrs H has been teaching him to take clothes out of a washing machine..... For dogs like Russell you look after them In the evenings and weekends, you are given bedding, toys and food.
Check out the Support dogs website if you are interested.

Most unfortunate pet name : Douch Bag AKA Baglet. Male friend moved in with his girlfriend into a apartment with two resident cats and three other women -nice old apartment -plenty of room. Douch Bay liked to wander -so first time he wasn't careful with the cat sally port/back door -out she went. Since he 'lost" the cat he was of course responsible for recovery. So he spent the evening periodically hanging off the back stairs yelling " Come Douch Bag -come baglet" . It took him a while to realize everybody was coming out to take a look at him -at first he thought -well I'm the new guy in the building they're just curious. Eventually -he realizes that yelling douch bag off the exposed back stairs is making him a matter of interest for everybody on the alley behind the apt building and he decides he's not feeling all that guilty about baglet's escape. They retrieved Douch Bag from the local animal shelter and paid her bail. Interesting that when this guy and his girl rented a bedroom from me -they only moved in with one cat and it wasn't Douch Bag ?

There used to be a thought that a dog's name should consist of two syllables, I am not sure if this is still the case.

Dave

There used to be a thought that a dog's name should consist of two syllables, I am not sure if this is still the case.
Dave
It makes sense to me, all our dogs have had two syllable names. Otherwise you stand to look like Father Jack yelling single word obscenities at a field and that’s not a good look. Having said that there’s a guy in our village who trains support dogs and they’re named for the person sponsoring them. He’s currently on Dave the Labrador and it doesn’t quite fit.

It makes sense to me, all our dogs have had two syllable names. Otherwise you stand to look like Father Jack yelling single word obscenities at a field and that’s not a good look. Having said that there’s a guy in our village who trains support dogs and they’re named for the person sponsoring them. He’s currently on Dave the Labrador and it doesn’t quite fit.

Agreed about support dogs and names, the daftest named support dog was Cando... Wendy is a another..... We looked after Dan, who is Dave's brother.

If she settles easy, then I'll go with Midge.

Partly because Midge - the JR terrier - was may favourite between 1968 and 1970.

Dogs, and horses to some extent, have been my friends for nearly sixty years. I guess that this little slightly unloved ratter is going to have great life with me. Terriers have all the mental acuity of a Welsh Collie, and have a real understanding of their carer. I hesitate to say owner, because terriers may well call you pack-leader, but they never stop challenging. I love that aspect. A pacific dog is more or less a bore ...

I don't think I have been so pent up for the change [to sharing my space] for forty years!

Saturday will see pictures of me and my kindly little dog roaming the Bromyard Downs ...

This is best week in my life since 1997, when I finally lost Fred the Collie. That was not a great week, but for twelve years each week was great.

Best wishes from George
Midge is a smashing name for a little dog.

I am sick of being ripped off, and the takeover of local vets by venture capitalists linked to pharmaceutical supply and pet insurance, creating monopolies in the whole supply chain, is disgusting.

This is happening in my country too.

She is here! Wimpered a bit, but not for long. Took here out for a walk, and let her off the lead. She is responsive, but then she decided to go deaf. She ran back to my door, thank goodness. Now she is tired out and chilling.

She is thoroughly investigating a new place, and sniffing everything, and coming to me for TLC!

She is such a jolly little dog. I am sure that she will settle fast. Clearly she enjoys playing and then quietening down for a quick sleep.

I am going to stick with Luna as a name. Part of who she is, even if she would have had a different name, if I had chosen ...

I tried to take some pictures, but they did not come out well. Lovely dark eyes and almost black coat will require good sunlight to get a fine picture, but I am hopeful for it to brighten up this afternoon!

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back