advertisement

Naim Solstice vs LP12 Klimax

I think a lot of people with TTs are pretty settled with what they have. I am sure there are better options out there but I cannot be bothered. I have the money set aside for the latest Karousel/Kore but just haven’t got round to it yet, I may never bother.

I think a lot of people with TTs are pretty settled with what they have. I am sure there are better options out there but I cannot be bothered. I have the money set aside for the latest Karousel/Kore but just haven’t got round to it yet, I may never bother.

I have been on the LP12 wagon
Won't go there again
Not a criticism of the deck, I'm sure it sounds ace.

Should I start from scratch I'd never look at the Solstice solution though.
Even if money was no object.
It really looks odd, in reality being a Clearaudio.

Hi folks,
Has anyone made an audition both Naim Solstice and LP12 Klimax with the same hifi system?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-solstice-officially-unveiled.256617/page-55

A couple of PFM members reported on a demo of the Solstice Vs Klimax at a hifi shop demo, no surprise at around 8K more expensive that the LP12 was marginally preferred. A bit like playing poker with a loaded deck.
Really only a dem of the two decks with identical MCs and a twin input phonostage would tell the real difference or superiority of one deck over the other.

I heard Solstice vs pre latest upgraded Klimax at dealer. The turntables played to strengths, one disc would sound more suited to one deck, then another would sound better suited to the other. I couldnt make a conclusive decision on the relatively small amout of music i asked to play.
Fortunately all out of my league....

I think once you get above a certain level and upgrades are marginal.

Definitely agree with this!

Of course many of us would never splash out £16-25k on a record player. I bought my LP12 when I was 19 and I’m now 53. Think it cost me around £500, I transferred my Basik Plus from a Systemdek llX, then later on upgraded arms, bought an Avondale TAPS (for around £150 new if memory serves me right), then fitted sensibly priced MC carts (i.e. not five grand ones). I’ve had an Aro strapped to it since around 1995. Only recently have I added a Karousel and sub-chassis but that wasn’t stupid money.

If I had the space, inclination and time, I’d definitely consider owning more than one deck which has been the case with most new Solstice purchases. WT, Rega, Garrard, Thorens, Brinkmann & Rega may well all figure in those choices.

Fair point @Mr Pig - gone from Naim does not mean gone from the dealers, though whether that makes it 'not a success' is more debatable. I

n any event, a production run that short does not justify a big marketing campaign, with lots of distribution to journalists and encouragements for them to do & publish comparisons. What reviews would have said is not something I can guess, and I would certainly agree that getting opinions largely from the small group who have just bought a Solstice is hardly representative.

I should also say that there is no attempt from me to 'spin' the facts here - I remain a happy LP12 owner.

once you get above a certain level and upgrades are marginal.

No idea really.
I've heard good Sondeks and bad(adjusted ?)

The best decks experience for me, Vertere definitely.
Superb sound, looks can be discussed.

Not only setup by Touraj but widely around, never heard a bad one.
I didn't ask for price but guess some of them are up in Solstice stratosphere.

Most used turntable at a show I attended lately.

I have been on the LP12 wagon
Won't go there again
Not a criticism of the deck, I'm sure it sounds ace.

Should I start from scratch I'd never look at the Solstice solution though.
Even if money was no object.
It really looks odd, in reality being a Clearaudio.
Yes, I don’t like the look of it either & I don’t think I would spend such a sum on record player.

To answer the OP, I have had the opportunity of comparing the two at home, in my system. My LP12 bits are listed in my profile, and I was going to start a thread on this, but I know how contentious it might be.
I won't go into much detail, but the Solstice was a disappointment on several counts, practical and musical included. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but at £16k, it was quite an expectation. YMMV of course, but suffice to say I'm staying where I am and the difference was not subtle.
My main interest was the Aro2 as I'm a bit of a unipivot junkie, and of course, I would have liked to have put it on the Linn, but the mechanics are completely different. I'm afraid the build quality has put me off bothering, even if it does become available as a separate arm.
I'm really not sure what Naim were trying to achieve here, but if you like and want a Clearaudio TT, then buy a Clearaudio TT, unless you want matching logos everywhere.
That having been said, I kind of grew to like the styling of the PS and phono stage, but lots of acrylic is not good for dust and scratches.

I kind of grew to like the styling of the PS and phono stage,

Agree, those boxes looks nice.

Bet some of these make basis for new products which they obviously have on test bench and ready when component availability is getting normal.
They can't continue with making their current range Tin colored and force buyers to purchase those Fockals to get into Tin ownership.

So how many people on this thread have actually heard one at all let alone in their own system? It seems pointless slagging it off if you haven't heard it and only marginally less so if you have done so but not in a system of a known quantity such as your own. No point going to a demo and listening to it through electronics and speakers you don't know as then you've no idea what they are contributing to the sound. Finally the barely concealed desire to see Naim and Linn fail by the more gobby members of this forum saddens me. They must have been bullied at school I guess :D

advertisement

Back