advertisement

Another "bad 'un" for Cressida?

The report says she was treated by school staff *as* the risk, rather than *at* risk. The suggestion is that she was criminalised before the police became involved. Actively involved, I should say. When police are embedded on site they’re always already involved.
Yes, that's kind of my point. The girl's own personal risk seems to have been completely forgotten about in this case.

Good point although I think this is on everyone who clocked what was going on and didn’t step in.
Difficult to say without knowing more about the situation and the school, but classroom teachers have little say and are often advised to keep their heads down. Sad to say but it is not exactly unheard of for some schools to use underhand methods to get pupils who make their numbers look bad off roll.

As @flatpopely says, it is the safeguarding team that take nexts steps, and if the school is an academy without a Service Level Agreement with the LEA, and the school has not replaced that with it’s own robust safeguarding measures, then a knee jerk response is more likely.

All said and done, strip searching a vulnerable young girl is unacceptable regardless of circumstances

"The decision followed the uncovering of a “litany” of failings by Scotland Yard in “fighting crime and serving victims”, The Guardian’s police and crime correspondent Vikram Dodd reported. The watchdog pointed to misconduct scandals, a failure to stamp out corruption, and “barely adequate standard of crime-recording accuracy”, with an estimated 69,000 crimes going unrecorded each year.

Matt Parr, who led the recent inspection, said other concerns included a lack of victim engagement, a vast backlog of online child abuse referrals, and a “lack of detailed understanding” of capability across all policing.

The Met was also found to be failing to meet national standards, and to be making errors on stop and search. The grounds for a quarter of stops were not recorded, “thus thwarting scrutiny of whether they were justifiable”, said Dodd."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/28/met-police-placed-special-measures-series-scandals

Like most other public services in the UK the police has systematically been cut, cut, cut so the surprise is that anyone is surprised by this. Under rescourced organisations don't work particularly when operating in a difficult field like the police. Ambulance response times, etc, etc, etc ...

Like most other public services in the UK the police has systematically been cut, cut, cut so the surprise is that anyone is surprised by this. Under rescourced organisations don't work particularly when operating in a difficult field like the police. Ambulance response times, etc, etc, etc ...

Cuts don't excuse criminal behaviour of which there is no shortage within the Met or the desire to cover it up or ignore.

Like most other public services in the UK the police has systematically been cut, cut, cut so the surprise is that anyone is surprised by this. Under rescourced organisations don't work particularly when operating in a difficult field like the police.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor. Lack of training. Lack of supervision etc. I can see how that might lead to a disproportionate response and how it might allow unsavoury attitudes towards race, gender etc to go unchecked.

But in the case of Edwin Afriyie it doesn't excuse lying about what happened - even knowing full well that it's all being recorded on multiple bodycams.

Some more highly disturbing footage: this time of four Met officers with a 14 year old black schoolboy (in school uniform) on the ground (Twitter).

Police withheld the true death toll of Grenfell because they were worried about "the impact of community tensions, especially when the majority of those affected are believed to be coming from a Muslim cultural background combined with the incident occurring during the holy month of Ramadan".

Result:

Local people knew that more than 17 or 30 people had died. They had seen the inferno. Some people had helped compile lists of those missing, based on local knowledge of who lived in which flat, because information was not forthcoming through any other route. These local death tolls contradicted the official estimates, exacerbating suspicion. If the police’s ‘Community Impact Assessment’ had understood communities, it would have appreciated that in communities, people talk to each other, share knowledge, and share concerns. Some people speculated loudly that the numbers of dead were in the hundreds, not the tens, accusing authorities of a cover-up to minimise the disaster. On social media, the idea that numbers were far higher than the official toll was seized on by hateful xenophobic propagandists to claim that the Tower had housed numerous ‘illegal’ immigrants. These claims continued to circulate for years, causing deep further hurt to the community.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/police-grenfell-death-toll/

Police withheld the true death toll of Grenfell because they were worried about "the impact of community tensions, especially when the majority of those affected are believed to be coming from a Muslim cultural background combined with the incident occurring during the holy month of Ramadan".

Result:

Local people knew that more than 17 or 30 people had died. They had seen the inferno. Some people had helped compile lists of those missing, based on local knowledge of who lived in which flat, because information was not forthcoming through any other route. These local death tolls contradicted the official estimates, exacerbating suspicion. If the police’s ‘Community Impact Assessment’ had understood communities, it would have appreciated that in communities, people talk to each other, share knowledge, and share concerns. Some people speculated loudly that the numbers of dead were in the hundreds, not the tens, accusing authorities of a cover-up to minimise the disaster. On social media, the idea that numbers were far higher than the official toll was seized on by hateful xenophobic propagandists to claim that the Tower had housed numerous ‘illegal’ immigrants. These claims continued to circulate for years, causing deep further hurt to the community.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/police-grenfell-death-toll/
A very straightforwardly racist view of the world. It’s not just a few officers, or even a lot of them: it’s that the whole task of policing starts from racist premises. I’ve no idea what you do about it but it needs to be pretty far reaching. I certainly wouldn’t be throwing any more money at them.

Uniformed police not welcome at Pride in London, say organisers.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...not-welcome-at-pride-in-london-say-organisers

There's a small part of me thinks this is a shame. But good to see organisations like Pride pushing back against institutional police homophobia.

The Met is currently such a vile politically partisan, brutally racist, misogynistic and homophobic entity at present I stand with Tatchell. They disgrace us all.

The counter argument is now with the overt rise of fascism both here and in the USA Pride needs police protection more than ever. We saw a van-load of armed fascists turn up at a Pride event in the US recently with the clear aim of beating-up or killing LGBTQ+ folk and it would not surprise me to see similar here. It is an awful situation when you simply can not trust the police to protect and serve all members of a society.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor. Lack of training. Lack of supervision etc. I can see how that might lead to a disproportionate response and how it might allow unsavoury attitudes towards race, gender etc to go unchecked.

But in the case of Edwin Afriyie it doesn't excuse lying about what happened - even knowing full well that it's all being recorded on multiple bodycams.
They have lied in the past when CCTV showed otherwise. Remember JC de Menezes? All the sworn statements by the police there said that he had jumped over a barrier. The CCTV showed that he didn't. The CCTV showed him buying a ticket, picking up a free paper and sitting down to read it. Then the police killed him and cooked up their stories. But they were't guilty of perjury. Oh no. Of course not. Cressida Dick said so. And we can all trust her. Just like we can trust Boris when he says there were no parties.

If you let the f*ckers lie and let them repeatedly get away with it, they'll carry on lying. Obviously.

advertisement

Back