advertisement

BBC 1 SHERWOOD. 5 star heads up.

Thanks for that. My desktop is upstairs, so inaccessible for connections to TV downstairs, but my wife has her laptop downstairs, so I'll discuss this with her. As I'm unfamiliar with HDMI leads & connections, are there quality benefits as in audio interconnects or the old scarts (which really showed up visual benefits as one upgraded)?
Just use HDMI from the source to the TV. use the TV as an audio "clearing house" and take digital or (if you must) analogue audio from the TV. It'll sound great.

As I'm unfamiliar with HDMI leads & connections, are there quality benefits as in audio interconnects or the old scarts (which really showed up visual benefits as one upgraded)?
I would recommend the Amazon Basics cable but quite honestly any HDMI lead will do the job.
If connecting to your wife's laptop proves to be an unpopular option then a Google Chromecast would be a decent alternative and once installed will give you the flexibility to stream from any device on your network.

Cos my Sony Tv predates smart (iPlayer loaded) TVs. I've been told I can get an Amazon Firestick (whatever that is) for about £25 and presumably it simply plugs into a Scart or whatever. It pisses me off that I can get catch-up on most other prog's via Virgin (ponderous as it is) but no catch-up on BBC where I pay the licence fee. There's no justice in this media world !

have you a VM box? we get iPlayer through our VM box.

Or if your TV has a HDMI slot and you have WiFi you can buy a GoogleTV for about £50 and stick it in the back of your TV and you will have the same features as a modern smart TV. This is what I did when moving back to live with my parents and finding the horror of their 15 year old TV and the Humax thing that seems to have recorded several years worth of Bargain Hunt.

(if you must) analogue audio from the TV. It'll sound great.

Cheers. My TV sound comes through analogue (line out) I/Cs to my can amp for serious TV listening, Nic. Can't see that any other alternative would either be better or be within my compass to understand.

Google Chromecast would be a decent alternative and once installed will give you the flexibility to....... stream from any device on your network.........

Don't follow this; what devices, what streaming and what network? Apart from my CDP (which is valved) and TV, everything else is analogue (and largely valved. Simple pleasures from simple kit for a simple soul !;)

have you a VM box? we get iPlayer through our VM box.

Well, I have, but it's a TIVO and I can't get iPlayer through that; I've tried many times; it simply refers me to phone/register with the BBC/whatever (which we are anyway).

Don't follow this; what devices, what streaming and what network? Apart from my CDP (which is valved) and TV, everything else is analogue (and largely valved. Simple pleasures from simple kit for a simple soul !;)
Sorry - I didn't explain very well.
By 'devices' I meant any computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone provided BBC iplayer app is downloaded and the chromecast is on the same wifi network.
Particularly convenient would be a handheld device (tablet/smartphone).

Or if your TV has a HDMI slot and you have WiFi you can buy a GoogleTV for about £50 and stick it in the back of your TV and you will have the same features as a modern smart TV.

We do have WiFi and a couple of spare HDMI in sockets (2 others are taken by Virgin Tivo. I mentioned in my post that a fishie had recommended a £25 Amazon Firestick; maybe that's the same? If it's that simple, Matt.,it may be worth my while, though Sod's Law would surely intervene and my 11 y.o. Sony would fail, necessitating a new smart TV. Would this work from terrestrial Freeview aerial or the better Virgin cable signal, I wonder.

Well, I have, but it's a TIVO and I can't get iPlayer through that; I've tried many times; it simply refers me to phone/register with the BBC/whatever (which we are anyway).

weird - we have a TIVO in a bedroom and just press the red button and away we go...... admittedly it is slow to load, but it works. V6 is so much better

I mentioned in my post that a fishie had recommended a £25 Amazon Firestick; maybe that's the same?

A firestick and a chromecast are basically very similar although although they differ in price and the user interface. There is also a bewildering array of models -- a bit of googling will throw up lots of reviews and comparisons, although make sure what you are reading is dated recently as this stuff changes all the time.

E.g. see this one : https://www.cloudwards.net/firestick-vs-chromecast/

Would this work from terrestrial Freeview aerial or the better Virgin cable signal, I wonder.

These devices use the internet not the aerial signal, which is why you need Wi-Fi. You can continue to use your existing TV for freeview and over the air broadcast as before but switch to the appropriate HDMI input when you want to use whatever streamer. You then get a smart tv like UI with access to things like iPlayer and other apps (Amazon Prime Video, etc.).

So it's not quite as convenient as a new TV, but it gets a lot of the benefit for not much money as long as you have WiFi and an internet connection.

weird - we have a TIVO in a bedroom and just press the red button and away we go...... admittedly it is slow to load, but it works. V6 is so much better

Hmmm! Puzzling but helpful comment, G.T. I've gone via the Tivo menu route (and that's slow), to no avail. To me, red button is for watching alternative versions of your main prog; tennis, e.g. If I wanted to bring up iPlayer simply to watch catch-up, where do I find this red button? Surely not the one on the remote. If so, I've really missed a trick.

This Tivo box is the first appliance bought/installed without ANY destructions at all. 'Twas only last year that I realised there was an on-off switch at the back (difficult to see and reach where the Tivo is). From questions to the Virgin chap who installed it, I gathered it was on all the time unless I unplugged the p/supply, just like my TV (no on/off facility anywhere).

Am I in the wrong thread ? Is this not the "Sherwood"? thread?

...Anyway, Thought the first episode was directed by M.Night Shyamalam... "Nothing happened !"... stuck with it to the end . Hugely overrated, bunch of good actors trying their best but secretly knowing that the script and direction was beneath them. A curate's egg...:cool:

Am I in the wrong thread ? Is this not the "Sherwood"? thread?

Sometimes one can't see the wood for the trees ! :D

gintonic; tried every red button in sight during ladies' tennis and all roads lead to the same iPlayer cul-de-sac. This reminded me that I'd almost certainly done this systematic search before, at least once. No idea how yours works and mine doesn't.

I’m only on episode four so I’ve had to miss the last two pages here. Two very small points. The bird that caught an arrow/bolt was a peacock, not a pheasant. The train driver was also in ‘The Split’, giving an excellent performance in another superb drama. Agree the monologue by the NUM solicitor was stunning in more than one way. A timely reminder at just the right moment of the fragility of democracy if taken for granted.

Sometimes one can't see the wood for the trees ! :D

gintonic; tried every red button in sight during ladies' tennis and all roads lead to the same iPlayer cul-de-sac. This reminded me that I'd almost certainly done this systematic search before, at least once. No idea how yours works and mine doesn't.

weird

I’m only on episode four so I’ve had to miss the last two pages here. Two very small points. The bird that caught an arrow/bolt was a peacock, not a pheasant. The train driver was also in ‘The Split’, giving an excellent performance in another superb drama. Agree the monologue by the NUM solicitor was stunning in more than one way. A timely reminder at just the right moment of the fragility of democracy if taken for granted.
Pretty sure he wasn’t in ‘the split’ but he’s a very fine actor.

Agree the monologue by the NUM solicitor was stunning in more than one way. A timely reminder at just the right moment of the fragility of democracy if taken for granted.
Twas indeed. A very exportable series imho with lots of britishness in it for the european audiences. Scandi dramas have taught us a lot.

Did anyone spot that Glenisters brother played his younger self...and he was married to Amanda Redman !
Small world.

advertisement

Back