advertisement

Travel insurance recommendations?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
Who do lil' fishies use and recommend? It's bog-standard travel insurance I'm looking for, domestic UK cover, and sensible overseas travel (no war zones, crazy dictatorships; no jet packs, blindfold abseiling or build-your-own-igloo trekking) just the usual personal accident, repatriation, travel disruption and so-on. We've used Aviva and Axa in the past, premium for 12 months' cover for the two of us has probably been around £80. Am I missing any tricks, or is this sort of bog-standard requirement straightforward so any reputable company with a sensible premium will suffice?

I have cover with my Nationwide current account, which also has breakdown and mobile phone cover so good value at £13/m.

we are with Amex, but i am not sure they are open to new customers. I think their travel insurance is provided by AXA.

Take a bank account which includes it. Ours is provided by AXA and has been fab on the few times I’ve needed it.

Just FTAOD, I'm travelling in a week, so changing banks isn't going to happen. I used to have it in my bank account, but it stopped being good value so I binned it.

my parents had it with their bank account, until i think they were 70, when they got aged out. They are no over 80 with pre-existing conditions and had to pay a small fortune for their jaunt to Turkey

InsureAndEscape are good. You can also get slightly better versions of their polices via the Martin Lewis site. They are very enlightened about existing medical conditions and not expensive.

The freebie policies from banks haven’t worked for us when we looked at the small print, the ones I looked at excluded my wife’s medical conditions which aren’t unusual and shouldn’t be problematic to cover.

I always get it as an add on to my household policy along with pet cover.

NFU but no idea of cost, they were amazing when i was run over by a bus in Marseille.

Also no problems when i had to cancel a holiday to go into hospital

As clivem2 points out read the small print of "free" policies very carefully.

Be honest with preexisting conditions, i sometimes get a call at renewal to confirm health status.

We found Staysure excellent when insuring my daughter with a history of brain surgery.
My wife and I use a policy provided by Aviva we got through our bank. Covers us until one of us is 80.

I insure through the Coop bank. £15.50 per month worldwide health insurance, European car cover and the phone & laptop. Mostly through AXA who put up a bit of a fight when I claimed for a theft in Laos but paid up in the end. I don't think they had anyone who could read the police report which was written in Lao ...

I have cover with my bank, RBS. Because of my age and my having more than two regular prescriptions I have to pay a bit toward it, but when it came to renewal this year I tried one of the comparison sites. My contribution is less than a third of the cheapest stand-alone annual policy.
I had no trouble claiming in 2019 when I was diagnosed with cancer a month before I was due to go to China, though they did ask my doctor whether the commencement of my treatment could be delayed till after the holiday. He gave them short shrift.

We have used Staysure in the past as we both had pre-existing conditions. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Heather had various issues with her back and shoulder, then a fairly new hip replacement on our last trip together.

I will certainly be getting a quote from them the next time I travel and look at the value of an annual policy, it made sense in the past.

Went with Direct Line in the end. We have car insurance with them, and breakdown cover, so they offer a discount. And when we’ve had to deal with them, they’ve been good. Premium was competitive with some of those recommended upthread but still came in at around £130, which is a bit of a jump. Reflects the different times, I guess.

Insureandgo worked for us, even thought I've never skiied in my life. I then found I have cover through the company, so didn't renew last time. I think it was around £130.
One gotcha is not fully declaring any pre-existing conditions, including prescriptions.

Insureandgo worked for us, even thought I've never skiied in my life. I then found I have cover through the company, so didn't renew last time. I think it was around £130.
One gotcha is not fully declaring any pre-existing conditions, including prescriptions.
Yep, a long standing prescription put £15 on the premium. Had a very helpful chat with the person at DL when I asked if the prescription was really material. It is, and the reason why made sense once he'd pointed it out.

Yep, a long standing prescription put £15 on the premium. Had a very helpful chat with the person at DL when I asked if the prescription was really material. It is, and the reason why made sense once he'd pointed it out.
What’s the reason - if it’s not too personal a thing to answer.
I have a condition which I need to disclose but I’ve never been asked about prescription details; is this a new thing?

advertisement

Back