advertisement

Entry to Vinyl replay

snaphappybob

pfm Member
I'm really happy with the system I have but would like to dip my toes into vinyl replay.
I am looking at the Rega Planar 1 plus or Project T1 phono as I'll need one with a built in phono stage.
To be clear I'm not looking at moving from streaming and CD to analogue but would like to play some albums acquired in the past hence looking at cheapest options. Anyone got any experience with these turntables?
I know a demo should be the first port of call but there's no local (public transportable) dealers for Rega, though I can do Project at Richer's Liverpool.
Any thoughts?
Cheers in advance
Rob

Rega everytime. You can either keep the fitted cartridge of put something a little better on it. Is Doug Brady the closest in Warrington? Train? Cheshire audio is a short walk from the station in Crewe. He might post you one if he considers you to be in his 'manor' - give him a call...

Rega P1, 100%

While not as solidly built as the better Rega decks it's still better than a ProJect and still gives you Rega's lifetime warranty. Plus it sounds fantastic. Very forgiving of poor vinyl and an involving and exiting listen.

If you never intended upgrading the P1+ is a good option. The built-in phono stage sounds fine. A standard P1 and a used Rega phono stage will cost about the same and let you upgrade more easily. The P1+ also does not hold its value as well, people don't seem to count the phono stage.

Under £300 quid with phone stage and cartridge there are 3 really good decks. Richer's stock both Project and AT, so I would go listen to those first. The Rega 1 with phono stage is not quite as good sounding and out done by both those below overall IMO.

AT LPW 30TK (the USB version is actually less money, but this one sounds better)...around £250 quid. The TK designation is for the teak finish. Also comes in Black (BK). In fact my shout would be to just buy whichever AT you can afford in the finish you like. Brilliant starter decks from a company that also happens to make (and fit) the best low cost MM cartridges to boot.

Project Primary Phono. Great sound, around £240 with cartridge.

Outsiders, ( some with names that will raise a few eyebrows here) are:
Lenco L3808. A DD 'DJ" deck but very well built and sounds fine. Quite 'clean and bright' like the Rega and not warm but worth hearing if you can find one and only £200 which is nice.

And finally, if you hear the above or whatever else and think 'hmmmm?', then a large step up for not a lot more money is Yamaha's MusicCast Vinyl 500. The best sound here, about on a par with a Rega 3, but DD. Think of it as a bargain Technics 1500 and you'll be about right. About £480 however but worth the saving?

I have the Rega Planar 1 and recently changed the standard cart to a Goldring E3 MM and the step up was amazing (the Goldring was also picked up here second hand, for a great price). Having heard the difference, I'm now starting to thing about a second hand RP3 or 6...

If you're just dipping a toe I would place a wanted ad in the classifieds here and see if anyone local has a budget option they're looking to move on.

You may get a bit more for your money and if you get on with vinyl and decide to upgrade you're almost guaranteed to get back what you paid for it.

I have a Thorens TD160 I'll be selling once it's done up. Want a new plinth and lid for it. It'll be less than a P1 but it's not going to be ready for a while I don't think.

Personally, I'd just get the P1. Simple, reliable and great sounding.

If it comes with Ortofon's 5E cartridge, then a good upgrade for not much would be the 20 stylus unit, which fits the body. However that eliptical 5 stylus should last ages in occasional play, so by that time you may want to muck about anyway! :)
Bargain deck at that price. Normally £350 ish? The bug will bite. get saving :)

advertisement

Back