advertisement

Lu's Thread

George J

Herefordshire member
A Patterdale [mongrel] bitch terrier, on Saturday ..

Photos to follow over the weekend, but his sweet little bitch is child, other dog and even hamster friendly, ...

But her current home is too lazy to walk and stimulate this most kindly little dog.

She is eighteen months old, but on my my first walk with her [this evening], she was responsive to recall, despite being really untrained.

Dogs are a skinful of faithful love, based on the premise that they trust their human. I am a trusty human, and dogs know it!

At sixty and a half, the eighteen month old will grow old at a similar rate to its carer!

Halcyon days ... G

Congrats George! Have you named her yet?

Just read up on Patterdales. Sounds like a very energetic breed that needs a lot of exercise. Maybe you could train her to run next to your Carlton?

Dear Hook,

Her name is LUNA, which is simply daft! One cannot rename a dog, but it can be shortened. So she already responded to, "Loo!"

And when serious issues arise, no doubt that, "LUNATIC" will suffice!

She is a scruffy black [with grey markings], about the weight of of a small Jack Russell. She has a sense of humour [as Terriers do] and is somehow without the oft found vice of fighting found in the type. Some house training will be needed, but the type is very intelligent, so stopping peeing inside is not going to be a huge issue.

Best wishes from George.

A Patterdale [mongrel] bitch terrier, on Saturday ..

Photos to follow over the weekend, but his sweet little bitch is child, other dog and even hamster friendly, ...

But her current home is too lazy to walk and stimulate this most kindly little dog.

She is eighteen months old, but on my my first walk with her [this evening], she was responsive to recall, despite being really untrained.

Dogs are a skinful of faithful love, based on the premise that they trust their human. I am a trusty human, and dogs know it!

At sixty and a half, the eighteen month old will grow old at a similar rate to its carer!

Halcyon days ... G
Patterdales are lovely. This is Jack and I could kidnap him. Belongs to a friend who’s a vet,

RWARoTn.jpg

Good for you! Am I right in thinking you have a young German Shepherd, too?

Blimey, a Patterdale that's friendly with other dogs! That said, I had a Bedlington that, despite their reputation for belligerence and of being 'terrier turned up to 11' was as soft and friendly as any dog I've ever met. She slept with one of my cats and they adored each other.

After three years sans chien after having to say goodbye to Frank, my beloved deer x grey longdog (profile pic), I'm currently adjusting to life with a four month old deerhound girl, Róisín, who is a real heart stealer.

Happy days!

Man’s (and woman’s) best friend. As a lifelong dog owner my only recommendation would be to feed her on dry food as it settles their stomach down and makes picking up their poo easier.

Well done George, Patterdales are great little dogs - feisty & tenacious with bags of character. We lost ours last year at 14 years old, & he was friendly to everyone and all other dogs, although he wasn't keen on dogs smaller than himself who we might encounter, fortunately not a common occurrence! Here he is with our Labrador Jimmy -

0gwcxpS.jpg

Congrats George.
But as I am sure you are aware any issues already established will be hard to retrain.
Our 12 year old Yorkie rescue has been with us since she was 18 months old. She still thinks everyone and everything is out to kill her and only trusts the immediate family. Despite our best, professionally advised attempts, we have not removed her chronic separation anxiety. Consequently she goes everywhere with us. She is currently enjoying a rural holiday in Brittany!

Hmm...

Patterdale terriers are a highly intelligent breed but you may find that this is not always a benefit. That’s because these dogs are also quite independent and stubborn. Much like cats, they will often understand exactly what you want from them and refuse to do it anyway.

Sounds like the next best thing to a cat ;-)

She sounds fab George. Wishing you both many happy years of walkies and cuddles.

Dear Hook,

Her name is LUNA, which is simply daft! One cannot rename a dog, but it can be shortened. So she already responded to, "Loo!"

And when serious issues arise, no doubt that, "LUNATIC" will suffice!

She is a scruffy black [with grey markings], about the weight of of a small Jack Russell. She has a sense of humour [as Terriers do] and is somehow without the oft found vice of fighting found in the type. Some house training will be needed, but the type is very intelligent, so stopping peeing inside is not going to be a huge issue.

Best wishes from George.

Good on you George, she sounds like a great addition!

Our family dog (7 Months old) is also called Luna and frequently also Lunatic (along with NuNu don't know where that came from)!

Luna says hi!

20220513-191510.jpg

Good for you George, and Luna too of course.

Sorry for the slight thread crap, but I stayed at Patterdale Hall a few times on school trips when a wee 'un and keep meaning to go back to see how much of it I remember beyond the Fleur-de-Lys garden design and loooong fell walks.

I occasionally meet Eric and Jangle when I’m out walking with my own dog they’re both quite old Jangle the paterdale is about 14 and has had some health issues recently but he’s a lovely wee dog he always comes up for a cuddle his owner Eric is much the same has had health issues recently too but they’re still out walking together Eric doesn’t like cuddles however:D

Well done George enjoy your new pal.

LLLLOL

Ol' George, won't be feeling so old fairly soon. :)

Patterdales aren't really a breed, as such, they were a reasonably uniform bunch of terriers bred by Brian Plummer for ratting. Since his death all manner of bitsa terriers seem to have gained the name and even more claim part Patterdale blood.

Somewhere online are pic's of Brain exercising his pack, which were uniformly tan and white skewbald and not unlike the long-legged strain of Jack Russel in build, slightly bigger.

Anyone liking a wry observation of very working-class hunting life should read his books. If you are sympathetic to the way of life, "Tales of a Rat-Hunting Man" is totally hilarious.

advertisement

Back