advertisement

Amplifier for Amphion Argon 3LS

OP ref my previous post the reviewer used a Matrix Audio Element DAC/Streamer/Pre in the video review of the EX-M7 :)

Thank you very much, would you add any more models to the list in your opinion?

My list would definitely also include the Exposure 3510.

Thanks, great amp. I have doubts that the H390's Dac/streamer is equal to or even better than the Matrix Audio Element M.

The H390’s DAC is actually very good. It has a softer, sweeter sound than the Element M, albeit at the expense of some precision and resolution. It’s likely that some people will prefer it to the Element M. I cannot think of a specific example, but in the same vein I have a H590 and X-Sabre DAC customer who flips between the two DACs depending on his mood.

Having used Amphion Argon2 (warm balance) and Amphion Argon3 (more neutral balance), and with the new models being extremely neutral, I think that Amphions are best paired with an amp with a bit of warmth i.e. has some well-engineered 2nd harmonic in it. This will make the most of the huge soundstage and pinpoint imaging of the Amphions, whilst avoiding the 'clinical' signature they can have with some amp or DAC pairings.

never ever heard any amphion sound clinical !! i actually chose them as they are renowned for not sounding clinical !! heard the argon one with hegel 120 which is neutral and it was absolutely delightful, full of emotion and liquid and just so engaging . had the 3s here for a fair bit with various amp combos

never ever heard any amphion sound clinical !! i actually chose them as they are renowned for not sounding clinical !! heard the argon one with hegel 120 which is neutral and it was absolutely delightful, full of emotion and liquid and just so engaging . had the 3s here for a fair bit with various amp combos

Hegels are known for having a smooth & unstrained sound? Would be a good match for Amphions, especially given the huge power handling capabilities of them.

A Chord amp, for example, might be a bit too much.

Having used Amphion Argon2 (warm balance) and Amphion Argon3 (more neutral balance), and with the new models being extremely neutral, I think that Amphions are best paired with an amp with a bit of warmth i.e. has some well-engineered 2nd harmonic in it. This will make the most of the huge soundstage and pinpoint imaging of the Amphions, whilst avoiding the 'clinical' signature they can have with some amp or DAC pairings.

Any suggestion? Do you think that Naim Supernait 3 would be a better option? Atoll in300 I seems a good choice too, and much cheaper.

both the sn2 and sn3 will be great . Atoll is getting more well known but not easy to resell when you upgrade . everyone knows the sn2 or sn3

I recently listened to the Atoll IN200 sig and Hegel H120. The 2 amps couldn’t be more different. My reference being a Teddy Pardo ST60
Let’s start with the bad. The H120 just sounded flat and uninspiring and tbh underpowered. I was up to 60 on volume compared to 40 on the IN200 for similar loudness. Bass however was very clean an articulate. Sound stage ok but no better than the ST60.
IN200 was a different beast altogether. Detail was incredible, soundstage the largest I have ever experienced and good PRAT. This wan’t fully run in so it was a little mid forward and bass a little less defined. I understand these need a good run in before critical listening so would like to have another listen. I now understand what front row listening means!
Next up will be a TDAI 1120

interesting , i heard the hegel 120 with some argon one , vocals are just beguiling and engaging and just delightful . needless to say i bought the argon one

after 6months of being run in they are still impressive even with a very modest denon av amp

I really wanted to like the Hegel after all I had read but just not my cup of tea. The Atoll vocal portrayal was eerily good.

I recently listened to the Atoll IN200 sig and Hegel H120. The 2 amps couldn’t be more different. My reference being a Teddy Pardo ST60
Let’s start with the bad. The H120 just sounded flat and uninspiring and tbh underpowered. I was up to 60 on volume compared to 40 on the IN200 for similar loudness. Bass however was very clean an articulate. Sound stage ok but no better than the ST60.
IN200 was a different beast altogether. Detail was incredible, soundstage the largest I have ever experienced and good PRAT. This wan’t fully run in so it was a little mid forward and bass a little less defined. I understand these need a good run in before critical listening so would like to have another listen. I now understand what front row listening means!

This is one of the commonest misapprehensions!! The vol control setting has absolutely nothing to do with power!

This is one of the commonest misapprehensions!! The vol control setting has absolutely nothing to do with power!
Indeed - I wonder if Hegel set things so it seems like you're using more power, but actually it's just that the volume control is usable around much more of its range. I have a Hegel H390 (250WPC) and also listen at levels in the upper 60s and higher, according to the display.

I look forward to hearing what you think about the Lyngdorf - I've got some Argon 3S (not LS!) - and was contemplating the TDAI 1120 as the next step. Although, also thinking in a completely different direction (no room correction) about Starkrimson monoblocs.

It’s the obvious answer, but not the only one, not even perhaps the best one. I have Amphions, and also have a Hegel H390 and an Accuphase E470. Yes, the Accuphase is more expensive, but it’s also hugely better into the Amphions. And you can get an Accuphase amp at the Hegel price point, or thereabouts.

advertisement

Back