advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This international law-breaking self-immolation will add countless years to the decades it will take the UK to recover from the damage the Tories and their Brexit have caused. Why the hell would any other country want to deal with this failed state? From now on we can expect little beyond dubious deals with tyrants, monarchs and religious murderers such as Saudi etc as no one else will want to go near us.

I certainly agree with that. I guess not actively supporting the motion but seeing it go through allows those members to either amend, contest or support it at a later reading.

But if it does get through and we suffer tariffs, sanctions and a trade war as a result, I hope the public recognise this happened because Bozo and co couldn’t come up with a genuine reason for A16, and so cheated and lied once again. I won’t be holding my breath though.

I notice the journalists and particularly the commenters in the far right gutter press have already branded all the Tory abstainers as traitors. It must stress them, being that angry and extreme all the time.

I certainly agree with that. I guess not actively supporting the motion but seeing it go through allows those members to either amend, contest or support it at a later reading.

But if it does get through and we suffer tariffs, sanctions and a trade war as a result, I hope the public recognise this happened because Bozo and co couldn’t come up with a genuine reason for A16, and so cheated and lied once again. I won’t be holding my breath though.

I notice the journalists and particularly the commenters in the far right gutter press have already branded all the Tory abstainers as traitors. It must stress them, being that angry and extreme all the time.
It might, if they personally meant it, but they’re just following a script dictated to them by their papers’ owners.

Donaldson:

"Many of the laws that now regulate how we trade with the rest of the United Kingdom are made by a foreign entity over which we have no say whatsoever. And that foreign entity was set up by the Treaty of Rome. And we all know who lives in Rome - the Pope! The people of Ulster will never accept laws made by the Roman Pope and his minions in Brussels."
It's a joke, right? I mean, he didn't actually say that, did he? Just checking...

It might, if they personally meant it, but they’re just following a script dictated to them by their papers’ owners.

The journalists, yes of course, but the folk writing really quite extreme comments can’t all be sponsored contributors or automated bots.

I find it saddening and angering that people have arrived at some of the very intolerant and extreme positions expressed, whether they were deceived and led there, or are just your everyday racist bigots.

I do sometimes enjoy joining in with an awkward fact or question for them, in the name of truth and enlightenment, but it’s an impossible task.

Donaldson:

"Many of the laws that now regulate how we trade with the rest of the United Kingdom are made by a foreign entity over which we have no say whatsoever. And that foreign entity was set up by the Treaty of Rome. And we all know who lives in Rome - the Pope! The people of Ulster will never accept laws made by the Roman Pope and his minions in Brussels."

That sounds more like Ian Paisley (either of them, more especially Senior, who (in)famously heckled John Paul II during an address in the European Parliament, and unfurled a banner, declaring him to be the AntiChrist).

The Belfast Telegraph had this to say at the time of the visit of Francis:

In an interview with the Irish Catholic, the senior DUP figure [Donaldson] said he hoped a visit from the pontiff would address the "moral issues of today".

"I’m looking forward to what Pope Francis has to say about those because I think that the debate has become very secular," he said.

The statement comes as the clearest indication yet the DUP could welcome a visit by Pope Francis to Northern Ireland.

He never came to Northern Ireland, but he did meet Unionist Party members and the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.

I guess it’s a combination of built-in prejudice and rage stoked by inflammatory headlines in such rags as the Mail and Express. Having said that, I’m always bemused at the ‘fury’ and ‘outrage’ shown by Twitter bods about things that don’t matter in the slightest (plot lines on soaps, feuds between members of the Royal Family, stuff in supermarkets, etc etc).

Theresa May went further and stated in the HoC:

I asked myself three questions:

Is it legal?

Will it achieve its aims?

Does it maintain the standing of the UK in the eyes of the world?

The answer to all three questions is no”

I’ve obviously no time for May given her ‘Hostile Environment’ complete with its Nazi ‘go home vans’, Windrush etc, but she is absolutely right here. Britain Trump has taken a country he has already raped, trashed, and has now rubbed our face in his shit on the world stage. This international law-breaking self-immolation will add countless years to the decades it will take the UK to recover from the damage the Tories and their Brexit have caused. Why the hell would any other country want to deal with this failed state? From now on we can expect little beyond dubious deals with tyrants, monarchs and religious murderers such as Saudi etc as no one else will want to go near us.
She didn't vote against it though:

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1325#notrecorded

No surprise. This was the regular situation during the period of wrangling over brexit when the chance of a soft brexit was lost. The number of times one of the purged, so-called sensible tories was interviewed on the green, virtually hurling criticism at the govt, but when it came to the crunch they generally voted with the party, certainly never against the party ‘cos Labour would be worse’.

No surprise. This was the regular situation during the period of wrangling over brexit when the chance of a soft brexit was lost. The number of times one of the purged, so-called sensible tories was interviewed on the green, virtually hurling criticism at the govt, but when it came to the crunch they generally voted with the party, certainly never against the party ‘cos Labour would be worse’.
Aye. The rebellion of the "good Tories" that never came.

Aye. The rebellion of the "good Tories" that never came.

In fairness it did. Anyone with even the slightest integrity either left or were purged by the 2019 election. It was blindingly obvious what Brexit was and good people on all sides took a stand. The ones remaining all signed up to Johnson’s Bannon far-right popularism. This is why it is essential that any Tory refugees found floating across the floor of the HoC towards Labour in rubber dinghies are sent back or sunk.

Brexit was the springboard for a whole raft of backward U.K. policy. The willingness to damage the economy on the altar of British exceptionalism must have taken their business supporters by surprise in 2016 but now they’re in for a grizzly awakening as Truss and Johnson break international law and kick off a potential trade war with the world’s biggest single market.

They’re also planning to widen import tariffs on steel imports from India, China, Turkey and elsewhere, bringing the U.K. into conflict with the WTO where they were bragging previously about striking world beating trade deals with the very same countries.

https://twitter.com/clairehanna/status/1541734595686711298?s=21
Claire Hanna (SDLP) giving it some in the HoC debate yesterday. Gaslit uplands - classic!

Spoke yesterday on the campaign of distortion being waged about the causes & effects of the Protocol, by those who created it, and urged DUP to unshackle themselves from the ERG & help us achieve the negotiated solutions that can work for all our people. They heckled instead ‍♀️

https://twitter.com/clairehanna/status/1541734595686711298?s=21
Claire Hanna (SDLP) giving it some in the HoC debate yesterday. Gaslit uplands - classic!

Spoke yesterday on the campaign of distortion being waged about the causes & effects of the Protocol, by those who created it, and urged DUP to unshackle themselves from the ERG & help us achieve the negotiated solutions that can work for all our people. They heckled instead ‍♀️

Excellent she certainly nailed it on the head on all counts, nothing deflected her. The pathetic harrumphing of Donaldson is just typical. Sadly the HOC still looks like a remake of Poldark.
The Silence of Brexiteers here is damning they like the Tories do not give a wit about NI. Just that it remains within the UK border to provide Unionist support if they perform poorly at a general election.

Excellent she certainly nailed it on the head on all counts, nothing deflected her. The pathetic harrumphing of Donaldson is just typical. Sadly the HOC still looks like a remake of Poldark.
The Silence of Brexiteers here is damning they like the Tories do not give a wit about NI. Just that it remains within the UK border to provide Unionist support if they perform poorly at a general election.
This is what’s disturbing- a political minority in N.Ireland is weaponising Brexit against the wishes of the majority. They’ve used it to deny the public devolved government and the U.K. government is going along with it, in fact they’re stoking it for their wider war with the EU and Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back