advertisement

Planned trip to Seattle and Vancouver- any experiences?

Retro

pfm Member
Hi all,

Along with my wife, I am planning a trip (holiday) for around a month next June to Seattle and then on into western Canada, Vancouver and Vancouver island. We have a few locations and destinations in mind, but are keen to hear of any experiences or suggestions on places, sights, wildlife and travel options.
The basic plan is to fly in to Seattle and spend a few days or so around there. Then train up to Vancouver and spend a week or so there. then probably pick up a car to do usual Drive, Jasper etc. Have considered the Rocky mountaineer train trip, but I'm not sure if it complicates the car hire drop off etc. Not sure if we need a car whilst on Vancouver Island or if we can just go over by ferry.
Final question is, does anyone have any idea if we can possibly wing accommodation at that time of year (particularly on the road trip part) We will probably book somewhere in Seattle and Vancouver.
Thanks.

Lovely place, but bring serious rain gear. I have fond (but very humid) memories of Olympic and North Cascades National Parks.

You will need a car on Vancouver island. The ferry terminal is a drive from Victoria the pretty main town and you will want to drive around to see the sights.
We drove from Vancouver to Calgary and were please to not take the train because if the weather is bad [and there are a lot of small micro climates] you can't vary your schedule. We did a flight, car & hotel package with Audley travel and it worked very well.The locals are very friendly and you will have a great time.

Hi all,

Along with my wife, I am planning a trip (holiday) for around a month next June to Seattle and then on into western Canada, Vancouver and Vancouver island. We have a few locations and destinations in mind, but are keen to hear of any experiences or suggestions on places, sights, wildlife and travel options.
The basic plan is to fly in to Seattle and spend a few days or so around there. Then train up to Vancouver and spend a week or so there. then probably pick up a car to do usual Drive, Jasper etc. Have considered the Rocky mountaineer train trip, but I'm not sure if it complicates the car hire drop off etc. Not sure if we need a car whilst on Vancouver Island or if we can just go over by ferry.
Final question is, does anyone have any idea if we can possibly wing accommodation at that time of year (particularly on the road trip part) We will probably book somewhere in Seattle and Vancouver.
Thanks.

I used to work in Seattle, in a building worth seeing called Rainier Tower, we used to call it The Pencil Building for reasons which may be obvious when you see it. It rains a lot in Seattle. The food market is quite lively, fish and locally brewed beer from microbreweries is pretty good quality. I used to use condos on short term let but this may not be a viable option for a stay less than a month, I don’t know the hotels.

I had a week's work in Seattle back in 2007. I loved the place. Very European feeling city, great countryside around. National parks etc. I regretted having very little leisure time. If you wander around the place, and you can, it's a small cith, there is one area that I was told to avoid. Friendly people though, and very bike friendly city.

Wouldn't set foot in the USA if you paid me, but I love Canada.

Vancouver, Vancouver Island, road trip through the Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, The Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, all thoroughly recommended! :)

...and yes, you definitely do need a car for Vancouver Island!

Wouldn't set foot in the USA if you paid me, but I love Canada.

Vancouver, Vancouver Island, road trip through the Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, The Icefields Parkway up to Jasper, all thoroughly recommended! :)

...and yes, you definitely do need a car for Vancouver Island!
We did it all! Fantastic! We started in Calgary where we had the best airport reception of all our travels and ended up spending 3 days at the Jasper Lodge before getting on the Rocky Mountaineer (gold class) for a two day journey to Vancouver. In Banff we had lunch in Melissas MisSteak and behind us in the queue were an 'indian' family in full gear including a feather head dress! That evening we bathed in the warm Sulphur springs.

We had a 4 days stay in Vancouver before our 7 day inside passage trip boat trip to Anchorage Alaska. It was far too short! From the interesting steam clock that played the Westminster chimes in Gas Town to the totem poles and trips on ancient 'trams' and then a day visiting bear mountain we needed a lot more time! Never had time to take a meal in China Town.

I think I want to go back............

DV

I drove From Vancouver to Vancouver Island and then through the Rockies to Calgary back in 2011. Wild horses wouldn't get me back....I hated it but made the most I guess. Its stupidly expensive. My advice would be steer clear of the main tourist trail and find some real Canada....when we did this it was infinitely more enjoyable than the tourist traps.

Read your menues carefully as the price quoted will have many different taxes added before you get to pay and then they'll get shirty if you don't tip or choose to tip with cash rather than adding from your card. I had a bill fold thrown at me by a waiter in a cafe because he thought I wasn't tipping. I was reaching for some notes at the time I hit pay on the auto card machine. Needless to say he got a florid mouthful!

As for the stunning scenary .....Meh! Gimme Asia avery time.

Really hope you find it different......but definitely chose your stops and locations carefully.

^ sorry to say I didn't like Victoria either.
Quite different from rest of British Columbia which I liked.
It was a long time ago though.

I lived in Comox on VI for 5 years and travelled around BC extensively.

Vancouver will take only a few days (not a week) but you will need a car I believe,
Visit the Anthropology museum, Capilano suspension bridge, Sea to Sky Gondola and bridge etc..lots of stuff to do.
Victoria is pleasant for a couple of days but I would strongly recommend going up island - Cathedral Grove (first growth forest) on the way to Tofino - both are must see.
Avoid Nanaimo unless you plan to drop in on Diana Krall.
Courtenay / Comox are pleasant diversions with Mt Washington close by and an easy drive to near the top - with a walk or a ski lift for the rest of the way.
I'd recommend going up to Campbell River and on to the Islands (Quadra, Cortes etc..), especially if you fancy a spot of salmon fishing

On the mainland, Highway 5 via Kamloops up to Jasper, then down the Glacier Parkway Highway to Banff. Spectacular scenery and wildlife.
If returning to Vancouver go the southern route through the Kelowna / Okanagan area (lakes / wine / fruit growing area). Lots to see and do

I was last there 12 years and hope to go back soon to see friends. If I had a lottery win you wouldn't see me for dust..straight on the plane to BC :D

Many thanks for all the replies, every one adds a few more ideas and options into the mix.
A further thanks to Wright for that very generous offer to help as a guide for an afternoon. One thing we have learned travelling is although the main sites and guide book must-do's are often great, it is the off the cuff recommendations from someone you meet on the road, or a local that stay fondest in the memory. If you are available when we visit, we will definitely take you up on that offer!

Regards,

Graham.

Have a great trip. I lived in Banff for a couple of years and went over to Vancouver a number of times.
Granville Market is really a worth while activity. Great food market and lots of arty shops - no main chain retailers. See a show at the Arts Club Theatre if you are so inclined.

There are some great beaches over on the islands - eg around Tofino.
As for the islands - our favorite is Salt Spring Island.
https://www.saltspringtourism.com/

Meanwhile if you want a slightly odd side trip - Point Roberts.
It's actually the USA but only accessible from Canada. It's where the border line of the 49th parallel was drawn straight across rather than wiggle around the peninsula.
My wife's god mother has a holiday home there - its only 40mins drive from Vancouver.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington

Meanwhile - its actually an interesting drive from Vancouver to Banff and then Calgary. Unlike how others have described. ( Stop off at and see the spiral tunnels just by the small railway town of Field ).
And whilst the cost of living has increased its still no where like pricey UK.

Many thanks for that. Budget is a concern and it is a relief to get a slightly less apocalyptic take on likely costs. This trip will be a bit of a splurge for us, but if you want to go somewhere, you gotta pay!
Some folks prefer to stay at home and that's great, we would prefer to do a bit of both.

As they say you don’t tan in Vancouver you rust. Lived in Vancouver for ten years and it’s a great place to see. Two favourites of mine Stanley Park with a walk or cycle around the sea wall. Grouse Mountain, take a ride on the cable car and see fantastic views across the mainland. On the way to Grouse stop off at the Capillano swing bridge. Granville Island is a good day out and enjoy some Granville Island pale ale. Take a ride on the sea us and visit Lonsdale Quay. If renting a car head up the sea to sky highway to Whistler. I could go on for a long time but will spare you. Visited Seattle quite a few times and recommend Pikes Market and The Underground tour. Both cities are good to go to and hard not to enjoy.

Have a great trip. I lived in Banff for a couple of years and went over to Vancouver a number of times.
Granville Market is really a worth while activity. Great food market and lots of arty shops - no main chain retailers. See a show at the Arts Club Theatre if you are so inclined.

There are some great beaches over on the islands - eg around Tofino.
As for the islands - our favorite is Salt Spring Island.
https://www.saltspringtourism.com/

Meanwhile if you want a slightly odd side trip - Point Roberts.
It's actually the USA but only accessible from Canada. It's where the border line of the 49th parallel was drawn straight across rather than wiggle around the peninsula.
My wife's god mother has a holiday home there - its only 40mins drive from Vancouver.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington

Meanwhile - its actually an interesting drive from Vancouver to Banff and then Calgary. Unlike how others have described. ( Stop off at and see the spiral tunnels just by the small railway town of Field ).
And whilst the cost of living has increased its still no where like pricey UK.

You have just reminded me of that phantastic engineering project. We followed a 100 truck train (1 mile?) to the spiral tunnels and watched as the head of the train came out at the other side of the two tunnels whilst the last trucks were still outside the tunnel at the other side. There were a lot of juniper bushes around as well.

Who was that Tom Wilson? mountie who discovered a lot of BC including why lake Louise had big bangs! Oh yes we did stay there directly overlooking the lake into the distance from where the bangs came - glacier.

DV

In Washington State, I recommend Diablo Lake, North Cascades, Lake Chelan, Snoqualmie Falls and San Juan Islands (mountain goats, bears, elks, bald eagles, orcas, mountains, clear blue lakes, high dessert, falls, etc.).

Bring your binoculars IMO.

PS- Not a fan of Victoria, BC.

You have just reminded me of that phantastic engineering project. We followed a 100 truck train (1 mile?) to the spiral tunnels and watched as the head of the train came out at the other side of the two tunnels whilst the last trucks were still outside the tunnel at the other side. There were a lot of juniper bushes around as well.

Who was that Tom Wilson? mountie who discovered a lot of BC including why lake Louise had big bangs! Oh yes we did stay there directly overlooking the lake into the distance from where the bangs came - glacier.

DV

Darth - and other train-heads. Some of the CN or CP freight trains are as long as 4 kilometres. That's a long wait at the train crossing when one of those comes through. Yes - its amazing at Field - or rather layby just a bit east by the actual tunnels. The front part of the train is well out of the two spirals whilst the rear still has some ways to go before disappearing into the tunnels.
There is also a view point in the walls of one of the tunnels so that you can see the train passing inside the tunnel.

The other Tom Wilson in Canada is lead vocalist of Blackie & The Rodeo Kings and his own band - Lee Harvey Osmond - both well worth a listen.

This is all great stuff, thank you.
As long as I don't get eaten by it, I would like to see a bear.

advertisement

Back