advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Fun fact: Spicer lived in the same apartment complex as my parents during his tenure as press secretary.

Cassidy Hutchison's testimony is the most astonishing yet. Astonishing stuff. Trump knowingly allowed people armed with AR-15s to march on the Capitol and even tried to get the metal detectors turned off saying "they are not here to hurt me".

Emtpywheel thread here for a recap, although it will be all over the news tonight: https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1541829534248566784

I was just about to comment. Twitter is alight with stuff. Surely Trump is done for now?!

PS Some noise about Majorie Taylor Greene too, hard to figure out, but an expectation she’s about to be caught for something crazy, or do something truly crazy. I can’t work it out.

So, in summary: We now have sworn testimony from someone who was there that Donald Trump is... (drum roll please) ...just as self-absorbed and shockingly unfit to be President as we have been saying for six years!

I didn't need convincing, but let's hope it sways it least some of his supporters - unlikely though that may be...

I’ve not seen any of the live coverage, but I’ve been following Seth Abramson and others on Twitter, big 100+ post live update thread here.

Basically Trump knew in advance of the 6th there would be a violent insurrection and actively wanted to be part of it. On the day he knew heavily armed terrorists (Proud Boys, Oath Keepers etc) were there and he actively supported them (at the very least he knew and consciously chose not to raise the alarm). He actually wanted to join them. He didn’t care in the slightest about the safety of Pence, let alone the other politicians and workers in the building.

I don’t know US law in detail, but surely he should be facing the death sentence for treason right now? At the very least a whole life cable-tied to the floor in a stress position in Guantanamo Bay.

I don’t know US law in detail, but surely he should be facing the death sentence for treason right now?

I believe treason is very specific in US law and refers to aiding enemies in war. But today's revelations do open him up to the charges like those the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys are facing such as seditions conspiracy.

I think this might be finally the John Dean moment.

https://twitter.com/SpiroAgnewGhost/status/1541868105776869376

Remarkable testimony by a very brave young woman. Up till now, T***p’s primary defense has been that he had no bad intent, no idea that the crowd was armed and dangerous, and that the “protest” at the Capitol was spontaneous. Today’s testimony blew that all up.

It was also amusing to hear some of the “mad king” episodes. Throwing catsup at walls. Trying to grab the steering away from the Secret Service agent so he could go to the Capitol. The insane SOB was hell bent on sedition.

Here’s the problem. The US government has never attempted to prosecute a former President. There is no precedent, and there is a great danger. All jury trials are crap shoots, so what if T***p is charged, but then found innocent? IMO, that would be game over for US democracy.

I’ve just reread the Seth Abramson thread I linked to above. This is astonishing. Just utterly incomprehensible. The Republican Party need to be proscribed as a terrorist organisation right now. Just staggering stuff and way worse than even I as someone who has hated Trump for as long as I realised he existed ever imagined. Words fail me. F***.

The Republican Party need to be proscribed as a terrorist organisation right now
No good, they will just call themselves freedom fighters and start shooting. America needs a cool head, it’s getting pretty wild currently.

I’ve just been going through the PBS coverage which is chunked up into digestible segments. This is just one of many, if you go to the YouTube channel you’ll find the wole thing. It is astonishing testimony. Just staggering.

This, whilst only being one minute and twenty one seconds long, is about as damning as it could be. This piece of fascist shit actually ‘takes the fifth’ when asked if he believes in a peaceful transfer of power. Wait right to the end for it.

Here’s another ‘must watch’, Trump supporting the armed insurrection mob in their chant of “Hang Mike Pence”. Actually said he deserved it and the crowd were doing nothing wrong.

WTAF?!

Before today, I thought there was zero chance of T***p and/or his inner circle being prosecuted for inciting a riot and/or seditious conspiracy. Now I’m not so sure. Much depends on whether a lot of the hearsay we heard today is corroborated by direct participants. Meadows is a coward and will plead the 5th, but I’m hoping Cipoelone cooperates.

Another utterly damning short clip here (Twitter). Both Meadows and Giuliani requesting Presidential pardons, i.e. they both fully understood they were breaking the law at the time. Fascists being fascists.

T***p knew his supporters were armed, but still ordered metal detectors removed. He did that because he said he knew they weren’t there to hurt him. In other words, he knew they were there to hurt someone, and yet he still chose to incite them. This is a criminal charge against T***p that, before today, there was no evidence to support. Now there is.

advertisement

Back