advertisement

Things to see in Dorset…

Don't forget Dorset Knobs. They are like dog biscuits for humans yum!

I always used to grab a tin on our way to Cornwall that is before we sold up this year.

I've still got my fillings intact!

DV

Dorset is fine and all, but right next to it is Hampshire which is clearly superior.

I grew up in Hampshire and my parents now live just outside Corfe. I’m inclined to say Dorset is quite a bit nicer than Hampshire :) The coast line in particular is on another level to that of Hampshire.

A walk along the front in Swanage is great, and you can go all the way around to Durlston Castle if you fancy it. The Fish Plaice does great fish and chips, the fish cakes are excellent!

Walk or hire a little boat at Wareham and go along the river.

Lulworth cove is lovely.

Durdle door, obvs.

Walking along the front in Weymouth is nice, as is the harbour. Couple of not bad record shops there too.

Bridport has become a recent favourite, with one of the best record (actually 2 now) shops I’ve been in, and loads of nice antique/vintage shops and stalls. Some nice places to eat too.

Go to the Square and Compass, probably my favourite pub anywhere.

Monkey world is great, as is the tank museum!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
How does that compare to the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu?

Beaulieu is more about one off race cars and special iconic cars from what I remember, land speed record cars and nationally important cars whereas Haynes is a general collection really. Both great but different. It has been a while since I visited either so they might have changed.

Corfe Castle is a definite, also the coastal path is very scenic and well worth a walk. There is I believe an old limestone quarry where a Dr Who episode with Cyber Men was filmed near Chapmans Pool.

I think we'll end up doing Monkey World since we're at Longthorns right next door. Some great suggestions here!

Also, is Dorset campervan friendly? I mean from a parking perspective (we've got campsite sorted, but it'll be our only transport so we'll have to take it on our trips out). Most places are, but I've heard some places are taking a stance against campervans (even if all they are doing is parking for a couple of hours), and thought best to check.

Finally, on the way back up home we're spending a couple of nights outside Leeds, so my son can do the Royal Armouries. We'll have all day in Leeds, what else is there worth doing within walking distance of the dock area (where the Armouries museum is)? Thanks.

If you go to the tank museum then go early and wear your most comfortable shoes / boots. There is a lot to see, and any non-tank enthusiasts may struggle! We were in there for a good 4-5 hours and still didn’t get to see much of the restoration / conservation areas. I could have stayed longer, but by that time my kids and in-laws were tanked out.

Lulworth Cove is lovely.

Durdle door, obvs.

Yes to those.

As Duran Duran go yachting and take in Sri Lanka for their 1980s videos, Roland and Curt put their coats on and head down to Durdle Door...

Pretty much the whole coastline is stunning, ofc.

advertisement

Back