advertisement

Glastonbury 22

I feel a bit funny about a lot of black music that is conveying a message or depicting black experiences, am I allowed to like it if I just enjoy the music but can't relate to the subject matter? Feels a bit wrong.
By that logic you ‘should’ only enjoy music made by white males with similar life experiences to yourself. Art is universal; part of its purpose is to allow us to access other people’s thoughts and feelings.

I feel a bit funny about a lot of black music that is conveying a message or depicting black experiences, am I allowed to like it if I just enjoy the music but can't relate to the subject matter? Feels a bit wrong.
The musical content should educate the listener, regardless.

By that logic you ‘should’ only enjoy music made by white males with similar life experiences to yourself. Art is universal; part of its purpose is to allow us to access other people’s thoughts and feelings.
Very much so. And Half Man Half Biscuit.

Of course. There’s a a case in point; I can clearly ‘get’ HMHB because they’re from round my way, but it would be a shame if Southerners or people from other countries thought ‘I can’t appreciate this band because I don’t know where Woodchurch Road is’.

I am struggling to understand how someone can not find something they like across the Glastonbury output. Assuming they actually like popular music rather than being, say, only interested in classical music.
Laziness, incipient unfocused anger and tendency to rail against everything that isn't already familiar and liked?

Of course. There’s a a case in point; I can clearly ‘get’ HMHB because they’re from round my way, but it would be a shame if Southerners or people from other countries thought ‘I can’t appreciate this band because I don’t know where Woodchurch Road is’.

I know exactly where Woodchurch Rd is but have no idea what Nigel is on about half the time!

But there’s also loads of familiar stuff too. If you don’t like new stuff there’s Supergrass, Macca, Diana Ross, Pet Shop Boys, etc etc.

I know exactly where Woodchurch Rd is but have no idea what Nigel is on about half the time!
I use crib sheets for the obscure footy references and band names. I actually contributed a few references to the ‘old’ HMHB website.

No I still like it, it just feels a bit weird.

Got Kendrick on now. It’s impressive, it’s powerful but I have no clue what he’s on about.

By that logic you ‘should’ only enjoy music made by white males with similar life experiences to yourself.

Essentially all popular music is black music it's just a question of how many times it's been mediated by a white person like Eric Clapton for money. The only genre that is properly "white" is basically Prog which no self respecting brown or black person would have anything to do with :)

The Kendrick Lamar CD landed and is on now. Seems quite accessible so far, absolutely massive production, crazy loud mastering, though very good sound, actually hard to turn the Tannoy rig down low enough! Enjoying it so far, though I’m not making any attempt to make sense of it at this stage. I find it easier to get to know the music, then figure out the words/meaning.

PS Anyone buying it be warned about the mastering level, if I wasn’t expecting it to be really loud I’d likely be shopping for new Tannoys right now!

Essentially all popular music is black music it's just a question of how many times it's been mediated by a white person like Eric Clapton for money. The only genre that is properly "white" is basically Prog which no self respecting brown or black person would have anything to do with :)
As Louis Armstrong said ‘All music is folk music. I never heard a horse sing a song.’

watching PSB on iPlayer, what a party - so impressed we bought tickets for their Wembley gig next year.

advertisement

Back