advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0723_2022-06-27.jpg

Spotted in the news rack of local supermarket on the walk home this eve.

This number is for ‘ new’ citizenship
If you are born abroad ( ie not in Ireland) to a parent who was born in Ireland before 2005 you are entitled to an Irish passport.
There were 420,000 such applications for Irish passports made in GB in the years 2016-2020
Not all are new applicants, some will be renewals. Some will be on parentage rules, some on grandparent rules, some will not meet the documentation requirements.
As far as I am concerned, all are welcome!

What? Coming over here and taking our jobs and clogging up our health system and getting free houses! We will have to get an Irish Farage to patrol Dun Laoghaire and turn them back in their boats. Can't they just go to Rwanda? :D

From today's parliamentary debate on the draft Northern Ireland Protocol bill, as per video on Twitter (here):

Hilary Benn:
"In the light of the comment she [Liz Truss] has just made about Article 16, why is the government not proposing to use the legal method to raise these questions with the EU through the treaty that it signed, rather than one claiming necessity when the Foreign Secretary is yet to give me a single example of when the British Government has claimed necessity for abrogating a treaty that is as negotiated and signed?"

Liz Truss:
"Madam Speaker, the reason I am putting this bill forward is because I am a patriot...and I'm a democrat."

What a dishonourable answer: we are proposing to break international law because we are patriots and democrats. Remind me, what was it Samuel Johnson said about patriotism?

From today's parliamentary debate on the draft Northern Ireland Protocol bill, as per video on Twitter (here):

Hilary Benn:
"In the light of the comment she [Liz Truss] has just made about Article 16, why is the government not proposing to use the legal method to raise these questions with the EU through the treaty that it signed, rather than one claiming necessity when the Foreign Secretary is yet to give me a single example of when the British Government has claimed necessity for abrogating a treaty that is as negotiated and signed?"

Liz Truss:
"Madam Speaker, the reason I am putting this bill forward is because I am a patriot...and I'm a democrat."

What a dishonourable answer: we are proposing to break international law because we are patriots and democrats. Remind me, what was it Samuel Johnson said about patriotism?

It’s pathetic - Truss won’t give a proper answer because there’s nothing she could say in response to that.

They should use A16 if there was a genuine case for it, but then they would have to produce incontrovertible evidence of harm instead of hot air and lies.

The tories have painted themselves into tighter and tighter corners with their lies about the ‘hated’ brexit deal which they proposed, negotiated, agreed and signed, and they won’t be able to continue bluffing forever.

They will cause increasing economic damage and continue to try and brush it off. Two more years of this will take us to a really bad place.

The Bill passed in the HoC by 74 votes, so the Tories have broken an internal law they themselves originally negotiated. They have made the UK a total laughing stock and the GFA will now likely fall apart. Floundering clueless shitheads.

The Bill passed in the HoC by 74 votes, so the Tories have broken an internal law they themselves originally negotiated. They have made the UK a total laughing stock and the GFA will now likely fall apart. Floundering clueless shitheads.

And the costs will be written in blood.

I noticed that lots of members had no vote recorded, including my mp James Cleverly. Does this indicate some kind of rebellion, or that they may not support the bill when it comes back to the HoC? Normally he supports the govt position without question.

Donaldson:

"Many of the laws that now regulate how we trade with the rest of the United Kingdom are made by a foreign entity over which we have no say whatsoever. And that foreign entity was set up by the Treaty of Rome. And we all know who lives in Rome - the Pope! The people of Ulster will never accept laws made by the Roman Pope and his minions in Brussels."

Donaldson:

"Many of the laws that now regulate how we trade with the rest of the United Kingdom are made by a foreign entity over which we have no say whatsoever. And that foreign entity was set up by the Treaty of Rome. And we all know who lives in Rome - the Pope! The people of Ulster will never accept laws made by the Roman Pope and his minions in Brussels."

That`s pretty deep stupid even for a DUP guy.

Donaldson:

Sounds like a speech reserved for the Ulster sectarian demographic but if he as a politician actually believes this stuff, he’s an even bigger fruitcake than I imagined. You can guess where this lot will head next in terms of civil liberties.

Fascinating how the Brexit movement echoes the same desire to turn the clock back and reinstate a supremacist monoculture.

I noticed that lots of members had no vote recorded, including my mp James Cleverly. Does this indicate some kind of rebellion, or that they may not support the bill when it comes back to the HoC? Normally he supports the govt position without question.

Theresa May went further and stated in the HoC:

I asked myself three questions:

Is it legal?

Will it achieve its aims?

Does it maintain the standing of the UK in the eyes of the world?

The answer to all three questions is no”

I’ve obviously no time for May given her ‘Hostile Environment’ complete with its Nazi ‘go home vans’, Windrush etc, but she is absolutely right here. Britain Trump has taken a country he has already raped, trashed, and has now rubbed our face in his shit on the world stage. This international law-breaking self-immolation will add countless years to the decades it will take the UK to recover from the damage the Tories and their Brexit have caused. Why the hell would any other country want to deal with this failed state? From now on we can expect little beyond dubious deals with tyrants, monarchs and religious murderers such as Saudi etc as no one else will want to go near us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back