advertisement

Ouch

why? Because governments would refuse to lose the money? Why can it not become cheaper?

Because the use of personal vehicles always incurs externalities. EV users are being let off them for now as an incentive to switch, once the need to incentivise people to switch has abated, EVs will be taxed in much the same way as ICE vehicles.

Buying and running an EV may be less environmentally damaging than buying an ICE vehicle, but it's not environmentally friendly. Not moving around or moving around under your own steam is far less environmentally damaging than either.

I'm waiting for the lithium wars. :)

Oh and the cost of a season ticket is now 8.5k. F**ckers.

Jesus wept. That’s after tax as well. It’ll get to the point where the only people who can afford to travel will be those on business expenses. Mind you, that will be the case for driving as well at this rate. I wonder when the HMRC mileage rates will be increased…

I wonder if, as long commutes become prohibitively expensive for many, house prices will adjust to suit. I was travelling 45 miles each way for about ten years, but since 2016…

That’s cycling, I can walk it in under an hour!

Jesus wept. That’s after tax as well. It’ll get to the point where the only people who can afford to travel will be those on business expenses. Mind you, that will be the case for driving as well at this rate. I wonder when the HMRC mileage rates will be increased…

I get £0.30 per mile for 10k miles then £0.25p after. Driving for work will start to cost (*) me if diesel hits £2.25 per litre.

(*) Fuel cost only. I've already stopped costing in wear and tear.

Because the use of personal vehicles always incurs externalities. EV users are being let off them for now as an incentive to switch, once the need to incentivise people to switch has abated, EVs will be taxed in much the same way as ICE vehicles.

Buying and running an EV may be less environmentally damaging than buying an ICE vehicle, but it's not environmentally friendly. Not moving around or moving around under your own steam is far less environmentally damaging than either.

I'm waiting for the lithium wars. :)

All good points. I've recently read that petrol engine effeiciency is such that the worst damage to the environment not comes not from the tailpipe but the compounds from the tyres turning into microdust/plastic in the air and brake dust!

The 'lithium wars' made me chuckle though I could also imagine it actually happening! :|

my Mrs was paying nearly £2k per year for a season ticket (4 stops on the train). No longer

I've recently read that petrol engine effeiciency is such that the worst damage to the environment not comes not from the tailpipe but the compounds from the tyres turning into microdust/plastic in the air and brake dust!
Particulates maybe, but only because the emission standards are becoming staggeringly tight on tailpipe particulates to the point where you pretty much can't meet them with a non-hybrid. With Euro IV diesel the aftertreatment for an engine cost as much as the engine itself, Euro VII is several orders of magnitude stricter. Oh, and let's not forget that brake dust levels are much less from cars with regenerative braking to the point that some pad formations are just not suitable.

Thermal efficiency (i.e. CO2) has only changed marginally though as there are fundamental limits given the compression levels.

Shipping ~ 3%, planes ~ 3.7%, cars inclusive trucks, tractors, bulldozers etc. 27%, industry 51%, crop burning .... 17%....

Modern cars pollute 99% than those manufactured in the 1960's.

In New Zealand the dairy industry (cows!) is responsible for 88% of the methane pollution (and methane is 25 times worse for global warming than CO2)......

And now the global warming unlocks the methane that was locked up in frozen regions e.g. Siberia...

Methane is a problem, but it is quite short-lived in the atmosphere, so it's a different problem to CO2 which, IIRC, persists for around a century, so emissions are cumulative.

Methane is a problem, but it is quite short-lived in the atmosphere, so it's a different problem to CO2 which, IIRC, persists for around a century, so emissions are cumulative.

The half-life of methane in the atmosphere is moot if billions of tonnes get released from the permafrost.

The half-life of methane in the atmosphere is moot if billions of tonnes get released from the permafrost.

More fun in the permafrotst, there's all kinds of 10,000+ year old virus and bacteria. Sure, let's release all that.

Tax is not necessarily a problem if you get some value from it.

This - in spades. Many US voters would rail against a 5% increase in federal income tax rates, but are (apparently) OK with paying $20k+ a year for health insurance.

advertisement

Back