advertisement

Blue Tooth Speaker

I’m in the market for a new blue tooth speaker for the kitchen. Kitchen is compact so no suggestions of second systems please.

I’ve had 2 Kef Muos, which sounded very good. Unfortunately my son dropped the first from height and broke it. The second one, ex dem, stopped charging after 6 months.

I bought my son a JBL unit for his Uni room, it sounds like there’s a Vauxhall Corsa with a subwoofer in his room. I’m looking for something more refined in sound, fairly compact (B&W Zeppelin is too big for example) and less than £200. It’s for Bluetooth connection to my phone, Alexa, Apple Music etc are not required.

Sonos Roam looks promising but I haven’t heard one.

Cheers BB

I have a Blaupunkt BL2621 which is shaped like an 18 inch long rugby ball. Sounds nice, on a par with a budget hifi at sensible volumes. The label says it was a Sainsbury's offering. It wasn't expensive, maybe £30?

I had a look, they are discontinued but used on Ebay they go for £15-£35.

I also have an Aquablaster, which is the size of half a grapefruit. It is waterproof and drop resistant, it comes with me when I travel for work. Again it sounds better than it has any right to. I think it was £12. Strongly recommended, it has kept me sane in hotel rooms all ovber the country.

Very happy with the Minirig 3. Sound is better than I expected for such small unit. Excellent battery life. And it's British made!

I have a Blaupunkt BL2621 which is shaped like an 18 inch long rugby ball. Sounds nice, on a par with a budget hifi at sensible volumes. The label says it was a Sainsbury's offering. It wasn't expensive, maybe £30?

I had a look, they are discontinued but used on Ebay they go for £15-£35.

I also have an Aquablaster, which is the size of half a grapefruit. It is waterproof and drop resistant, it comes with me when I travel for work. Again it sounds better than it has any right to. I think it was £12. Strongly recommended, it has kept me sane in hotel rooms all ovber the country.

Doubt OP have room for this, more wide than Zeppelin.

Anyway I'd love this in the kitchen, never heard of it before and prices sound reasonable.

The little JBL Charge 3 or 4 or 5 are quite impressive. Don't go to the larger Xtreme or Party Box though, they sound very naff.
OR
Ruark MR1 mark 1 or 2....

Just to update this thread, I ended up buying a B&O Play, run out of first generation. Tried second generation but couldn’t hear a difference.

B&O app allows you to tailor the sound, which is a massive help. Not quite as nice sounding as the Kef Muo but I’m happy with it.

Cheers BB

I heard the B&O Play A1 a few years ago and thought it was excellent so a good choice.

The Roam isn’t bad but it’s not as good as the Audio Pro’s as I have both. The Audio Pro is brilliant, if not portable sized.

I still love my Bose Soundlink Mini. It’s a thing of miracles in terms of how they got such an amazing sound (with bass) from such a little thing. Shame it’s no longer produced. Sounds like it also performs better than the Flex that replaced it.

Just purchased, and returned, a JBL Charge 5. Way worse than the Denon Envaya it attempted to replace. Returned.

Tried another one: a Marshall Emberton II. Also cr*p. About to be returned.

I think I'm just about done with these cheapo soundbricks. My next (and final) attempt will be to buy a Dynaudio Music 3 or 5. If that doesn't work either I'll just drop the bluetooth speaker idea altogether and rather replace my preamp with a bluetooth-capable streamer.

Just purchased, and returned, a JBL Charge 5. Way worse than the Denon Envaya it attempted to replace. Returned.

I think I'm just about done with these cheapo soundbricks. My next (and final) attempt will be to buy a Dynaudio Music 3 or 5. If that doesn't work either I'll just drop the bluetooth speaker idea altogether and rather replace my preamp with a bluetooth-capable streamer.

The Dali Katch is supposed to be very good but it's more money than I wanted to spend. I bought my son a JBL unit for Uni, it was great at Uni, it drives me mad at home, it sounds like there's a pimped Vauxhall Corsa in his bedroom.

Cheers BB

I’m in the market for a new blue tooth speaker for the kitchen. Kitchen is compact so no suggestions of second systems please.

I’ve had 2 Kef Muos, which sounded very good. Unfortunately my son dropped the first from height and broke it. The second one, ex dem, stopped charging after 6 months.

I bought my son a JBL unit for his Uni room, it sounds like there’s a Vauxhall Corsa with a subwoofer in his room. I’m looking for something more refined in sound, fairly compact (B&W Zeppelin is too big for example) and less than £200. It’s for Bluetooth connection to my phone, Alexa, Apple Music etc are not required.

Sonos Roam looks promising but I haven’t heard one.

Cheers BB

I recently bought a Roberts Stream 94i for the kitchen, in part because it offers Bluetooth. Sound is really not bad. I see there's now an improved version, the Stream 94L, for about £200.

Have you thought thought about B & O, if you have a shop near you might be worth your time to go and listen.

advertisement

Back