advertisement

No bass with Naim

1. Roll off subs only dont roll on, I dot like how it sounds the rolling on

Sorry for the quick diversion, here so you mean that you don't have filter on whether the sub "hears" the high/mid frequency elements of the sound? That is, no low pass filter on the sub, only a high pass filter on the main speakers?

Please take this as a constructive comment, but one other suggestion is to get your ears checked! Specifically, I am thinking of getting my ears de-waxed at age 57. A conductor friend had it done and swears by the benefits...

I like to think anyone with a system like the OP's would have had the foresight to check this but you never know :)

I'd hope that it would be obvious the first time you played a mono recording! Here the effect is VERY clear even with many stereo item if the output is antiphased.

I'd hope that it would be obvious the first time you played a mono recording! Here the effect is VERY clear even with many stereo item if the output is antiphased.
I think I've posted on PFM before about how strange my system sounded one day, only to find I had the speakers wired up anti-phase...it happens to the best of us...

2022-02-28_02-43-52 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

FWIW I tend to use antiphased mono as a way to check if the stereo imaging is really 'balanced' OK. Done this in two rooms here using ESL63 type speakers. In one room the optimum listening position gave an "It's behind you!" effect for the subdued result. In the other it simply got very quiet and sort of 'de-located'. Difference in the room symmetry wrt reflections in sidewalls, etc, I guess. The directionality of the speakers has quite an impact on this as well.

Thanks for the replies again.

Try the astonishing and tiny Neat Xplorers, in your range in you buy ex-dem, and perhaps Fyne 501 SP. Explorers can go closer to walls than many more mainstream designs, which may help.

More important, I'd suggest hearing a few options and then hitting eBay, where amazing value is on offer.

I'll see if I can have a listen to the Neats at a dealer.

I will only demo items at a dealer if I intend to buy from them as I don't think it's fair otherwise. Buying off eBay is going to be tricky if I haven't heard the speaker before.

It sounds like you're missing the mid-bass part of the audio spectrum. This is between 50-100Hz, and critically important for perceived weight or gravitas of music. This is most likely a room effect, which you should be able to measure with REW or even a simple SPL meter and a frequency sweep.

Coincidentally, I bought Naim amps to overcome a degree of bass-shyness in my previous house. The Sonus Faber Concertos I ran had no problem reproducing notes down to 40Hz, but when I measured their in-room response, I had a 18dB suck-out centred at 80Hz. I found the AWOL midbass in the room below.

Sometimes, only a change of room will fix the problem.

Interesting points there - it could well be the room but I've never done a room analysis before and don't know where to start

@ajm: Have you checked the speaker cables, rather their polarity? I once had a similar issue until it turned out that the dealer installing system at home had inverted one channel ...

Yes, I checked the polarity again and it is correct.

Please take this as a constructive comment, but one other suggestion is to get your ears checked! Specifically, I am thinking of getting my ears de-waxed at age 57. A conductor friend had it done and swears by the benefits...

Maybe you're right- it could just be me! :)

Sorry for the quick diversion, here so you mean that you don't have filter on whether the sub "hears" the high/mid frequency elements of the sound? That is, no low pass filter on the sub, only a high pass filter on the main speakers?

Sorry for the confusion the subs are just rolled off and open from 0 Hz so don't have a high pass just low pass, plus EQ using 3-4 PEQ's for the subs. So mains are not processed

advertisement

Back