advertisement

Please help me choose a new razor.

mandryka

pfm Member
I keep cutting myself, I don't know why, but it's time for a change. Recommendations appreciated. Wet or dry, I can go both ways.

A few months ago I switched from disposable wet razors to an old fashioned safety razor.

It did take me a little while to get used to it but now I'm delighted with it and definitely won't be going back to disposables. In fact a couple of weeks ago I was away from home for a couple of days and had my travel wash bag with me, which had my previous 'regular' disposable in it. I was really surprised by how awful it felt compared to the safety razor.

If you are cutting yourself a safety razor isn't for you. I use one, it's great, but you do have to be careful.
I use disposables when flying, they are a LOT easier. I got some in an Italian supermarket, one of the big brands, I can find out which it necessary, really nice and easy to use, long lasting and cheap. If what you want is a shave, look no further.

If you are cutting yourself a safety razor isn't for you. I use one, it's great, but you do have to be careful.

I've used a Gillette Mach 3 for maybe 25 years. I don't know why I have started cutting myself. I've changed blades, changed to another Mach 3, but it still happens -- always in the same place (top of right cheek.)

If you are using shaving foam, it may be worth switching to something like 'King of Shaves' gel as you can better see what you are doing and can be more careful around any skin imperfections; I prefer the light blue gel over the pale green as the latter smalls a bit of chemicals to me.

Perhaps your skin is getting less flexible/more fragile? How about fake Mach111’s

For a good shave I use a safety razor - Gillette Rocket with Feather blades, Wool Fat soap and a decent stiff badger Brush. That said I get a rash with daily wet shaving so alternate with an electric razor if I am travelling and need to be shaved each day

Between older skin and a suspected drop in quality of Gillette blades ( used with Gillette gel ) I have recently switched as well.
I'm now using a Korean brand of disposable called Shavy, the four blade version. Not a better shave but last noticeably longer for less dosh.

d5fec1deff0ce170ec33887945a575b1

Used with Barbasol shaving cream, which is better than Gillette gel, cheaper and lasts far longer.

41rvdsSv+XL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I got fed up with the ever-increasing cost of cartridges for multi-blade razors and dug out my cheap 1960s Gillette double edge razor and some old blades that were lurking at the back of a drawer. I found the shave was better and easier. Since then I've bought a Muhle d/e razor. The balance is much better than the Gillette. I'll not go back to the multi-blade rip-off culture.
Check out the Traditional Shaving Company website.

After getting fed up with snagging myself with crappy disposable razors and expensive multi blade razors, I bought a Merkur 34C DE Razor about 15 years ago. I use it with Feather blades, Arko shave stick and a cheap bristle brush from boots . It is slightly terrifying to start with, but now I never cut myself, the shave is amazing and the whole caboodle is far cheaper than any regular disposable razors.

I've been using a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable every day for years. You can dial in whatever suits you.
Completely indestructible. Mine is a birth year model, just for the fun of it. I found it beat all modern equivalents hands down for comfort.
After trying many blades, the Amazon brand Solimo are the best, and also the cheapest.

Old school three piece razor - it'll pay for itself within a couple of months due to the cheap cost of the blades, and a far superior shave.

Currently using Shark blades. They work, but I'm not a great fan. Sadly I have about a year's supply, even if I replace them the minute they start getting a bit draggy, which is probably after 3 shaves or so. I'll try the Amazon ones next time out.

I use Wilkinson Sword soap, or Proraso, and a cheap brush. That side of it's fine.

advertisement

Back