advertisement

Windows 22H2 - a sneaky change

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
I realise that many are still using Windows 10 but its EOL is near and then its on to Windows 11 for security updates.

I just noticed this change for update 22H2:-

"Slightly more worrying for consumers, however, is that users will require a Microsoft account in order to set up a Windows 11 system."

A sneaky forced lock in for those of us with a Pro version of Windows that can use a local account and be free of M$ chains. Also today we can install a Win 11 system without the necessity of an active Internet connection but it would appear that this may no longer be possible. I do this regularly as a) its easier to set up a local account as an M$ account is not offered and b) its much faster as you don't have to wait for the updates to come down and you can be setting up a users system pdq.

DV

I realise that many are still using Windows 10 but its EOL is near and then its on to Windows 11 for security updates.
DV

I realise your cup may be half empty but W10 EOL is 2025 (according to Microsoft) - 3 years is not really what most would call 'near' ;)

"Beginning with Windows 10, version 21H2 (the Windows 10 November 2021 Update), feature updates will be released annually in the second half of the year via the General Availability Channel. Go here to learn more. Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Personally, I don't really feel the need to move to W11 just yet .....

I don't think the responders above have understood my post or perhaps I have not explained it clearly.

Windows 10 does have an EOL in 3 years and once that has been reached users will need to move to the next version to obtain fixes and security updates. Today you can set up Windows with a local account and I do this all the time but with the new version (22H2 not yet released but in test) I am led to believe won't allow this.

I thought this info would be useful for forward planning. Before I retired many of the outsourcing projects in which I was involved were contracted for 10 years and this sort of information could be built into the pricing and roll out model.

DV

I have now upgraded my 2012 Mac Mini to Win 11 Pro 22H2 and I was wrong with the statement 'I am led to believe won't allow this' above post. In fact when I go to create a new account I am offered 'Add a user without a Microsoft account''. Whether this is M$ or the Rufus tweak* .........

General impression is that it is snappier on this old computer.

I performed an upgrade from 21H2 to check that it worked OK rather than a new install. I lost most of my tabs in Edge.

DV

*Win 11 install/upgrade on none compliant computers is now so much easier than it once was. Use the latest version of Rufus to make a USB installer with the downloaded M$ iso which can remove the tests amongst other things.

*Win 11 install/upgrade on NON compliant computers is now so much easier than it once was.

My wife changed to Win. 11 on her laptop but didn't really notice a lot of difference from Win. 10. Even Win 10 is a p.i.t.a. for me c/f Win. 7 (the one before, I think). (NON= prefix. NONE = pronoun). Yet another change in '25? Wonder how much more user-unfriendly that'll be as they don't get easier. Google (or is that Microsoft?) can't even get the tense right on the pin entry, as in 'I forgot my pin'. Pisses me off.

One of the drivers of this sort of thing is that so much in the way of applications and services, is moving to 2-factor authentication. We have had to as a business; and we can just see coming down the line, say a year, it will become part of simply 'logging-in' to Windows - certainly for corporate users.

And MS never misses an opportunity to gather data, control, and lock-in; it's likely this aspect, or the basic MS 'one package to fit-all' approach, that lies behind Darth's experience above.

Been using Linux for the past 15-odd years (with no problems) and from my point of you it sounds ludicrous that people actually put up with this continuous "roping in" policy. But I presume there must be advantages of some kind in using Windows.

I created a couple of clean Windows 11 22H2 hyper-v machines last week and yes, iirc it doesn't allow you to create a local account. I did Google it and it was suggested somewhere that there was a way around it but it wasn't a big deal for me so didn't pursue it.

I haven't looked to see if I can add extra local accounts.

I installed 22h2, main pain in the total arse is the side bar in explorer has been messed with, onedrive now appears at the top and downloads way down and they cannot be reordered. Very frustrating that I cannot lay out the side bar as I want it.

I can’t install W11 on any of my Macs. How do you do it?
Do you have access to a Windows machine? If so it is today easy unlike a year or do ago.

On a Windows machine install the latest version of Rufus - its free.

Down load the latest 22H2 Windows 11 Pro ISO from the M$ website - free.

Launch Rufus and tell it to make a bootable installer on a USB stick. The defaults automatically removes the M$ compatibility tests.

Now on an Apple computer. Is it going to be Windows only or a dual boot machine?

To be continued after we know the answer to that last Q.

DV

Been using Linux for the past 15-odd years (with no problems) and from my point of you it sounds ludicrous that people actually put up with this continuous "roping in" policy. But I presume there must be advantages of some kind in using Windows.
After Linux Windows feels like an utter pain today. Things you take for granted like large directory copy sails through Linux but Windows fails and often without any indication why. There are several reasons always depending. This sort of thing happens again and again. Everyday things you can do in Linux fail or are blocked by Windows. I can even write some text that M$ doesn't like and when I save it Windows then deletes the file! Security! No M$ is monitoring what we write and want to save and we are now being told that certain things are not allowed......... 1984 is arriving a little late.

DV

I can even write some text that M$ doesn't like and when I save it Windows then deletes the file! Security! No M$ is monitoring what we write and want to save and we are now being told that certain things are not allowed......... 1984 is arriving a little late.

What the hell?! Can you elaborate on that? I assume you mean more than the ‘protected’ Windows & System folders (or whatever they are called now, it’s over a decade since I’ve used Windows).

Any examples that you'd care to share?
I gave some actual examples on pfm a few years ago. At the mo I'm using a 2012 Mac Mini running Win 11 Pro as my Linux desktop no longer works due to the water cooling of the CPU has failed. This means that Windows will watch and remove what I try to write. Once back into Linux no problems.

DV

advertisement

Back