advertisement

Dewalt hammer drill not working - what is the problem.

itskeith

pfm Member
Hi everyone,

I have a Dewalt hammer drill which i am trying to work out what the problem is (after some recent hard work)!

- i will still rotate in forward and reverse
- when i hold the chuck to remove the drill it just 'clicks' and the jaws do not open.

Assuming that this will have happened to someone else before, so has anyone any idea what the problem is please:
- is it a part that needs repairing?
- likely cost range (busy no time to attempt it myself)?
- is it time to bin it and buy another :-( ?

Many thanks in advance and any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Keith

Same here on a very lightly used DeWalt. It had only a very few tens of hours use before it did it first but was usually OK, so I ignored it. Now it does it most of the time.

Fortunately, using a very quick, sharp twist by hand, the chuck will crack open, so I have been able to use it.

Bought on a deal from Screwfix.

Quite a common fault on keyless chucks. Often caused by corrosion, debris and or over tightening.
Secure the drill with Chuck pointing upwards, drizzle in some normal lubricating oil down the jaws and leave for a while.
Retry the chuck for jaw release, if nothing and assuming a bit is still in the chuck, give the bit a sharp whack, towards the chuck ( protecting the point of the bit if needs be ) but not too hard. Try releasing again and repeat if necessary.

If no bit in place, remove the chuck to clean and lubricate or replace.

If cleaning and lubricating the chuck won't free it up, you need a new keyless chuck. It's probably choked up with masonry dust. A new chuck is inexpensive and easy to fit. If it's on a Morse Taper you will need a taper splitter (a metal wedge) otherwise you may be able t unscrew it.

Never had this problem but always have had two drills just in case. One is Bosch and the other B&D for less than the price of one DeWalt?

I’d suggest banging it like a hammer onto a wooden bench. Given these tools are supposed to survive drops from ladders etc you should be able to give it a dozen or so decent jolts. Obv try and make contact with a sturdy part of the chuck/tool. This should dislodge some of the dust and/or rattle the ratchet. You could also try bopping it with a rubber mallet or piece of timber, and whilst running the drill forwards and back.

advertisement

Back