advertisement

US Supreme Court orders states to allow people to carry concealed guns

Itll be interesting to see what happens in Vegas in a few weeks once lake Mead totally dries up. It could get all zombie apocalypse computer gamey very fast

It’ll be interesting to see if America would go to war to acquire water? Even with a fairly large but diminishing stockpile in Alaska! The west of Scotland better watch out!

It’ll be interesting to see if America would go to war to acquire water? Even with a fairly large but diminishing stockpile in Alaska! The west of Scotland better watch out!

No doubt at some point in the future access to water will be the cause of wars.
Humans: the most destructive animal on earth.

I have been, in the past, a prison doctor. In this way I met and spoke to half a dozen murderers.
Only one was truly evil.
The others just ordinary people who did an awful thing. One of them explained. Anyone who in anger has said ‘I’ll kill you!’
One day just might!
Access to guns? What effect might that have?
John

Just as a point of interest, what would happen if New York ignored the supreme court and continued to outlaw concealed carry guns, prosecuting those who did? I assume that Federal agencies would then call the politicians in contempt and charge them?

Apparently back in the day, the drinking age in the US was imposed Federally at 21 as opposed to prior when the individual States set the age limit. I was told that Wisconsin kept the age at 18 ignoring the Federal law and only changed when the Federal government threatened to take away highway funds.

I think the legal drink age is still up to the states. The federal gov. has coerced states to set it at 21 by threatening to without various types of funding, such as the one you mentioned.

Just as a point of interest, what would happen if New York ignored the supreme court and continued to outlaw concealed carry guns, prosecuting those who did? I assume that Federal agencies would then call the politicians in contempt and charge them?

Apparently back in the day, the drinking age in the US was imposed Federally at 21 as opposed to prior when the individual States set the age limit. I was told that Wisconsin kept the age at 18 ignoring the Federal law and only changed when the Federal government threatened to take away highway funds.

They won’t ignore, but they will pass new laws. Every business has the constitutional right to ban guns on premises, and will likely do so. Similarly, new laws will be passed to ban guns from ALL state owned public facilities. In fact, the ruling explicitly said that states have the constitutional right to ban guns from “sensitive places”.

I have been, in the past, a prison doctor. In this way I met and spoke to half a dozen murderers.
Only one was truly evil.
The others just ordinary people who did an awful thing. One of them explained. Anyone who in anger has said ‘I’ll kill you!’
One day just might!
Access to guns? What effect might that have?
John

The mere availability of a gun in the house obviously increases the odds that the odd fit of passion may have a fatal result. It also increases the odds of suicide.

They won’t ignore, but they will pass new laws. Every business has the constitutional right to ban guns on premises, and will likely do so. Similarly, new laws will be passed to ban guns from ALL state owned public facilities. In fact, the ruling explicitly said that states have the constitutional right to ban guns from “sensitive places”.

So could sensitive places include anywhere where the public may not be carrying firearms or where children are present?

So could sensitive places include anywhere where the public may not be carrying firearms or where children are present?

The ruling did not define the term so, for right now, states have broad latitude. Most, I would hope, include all places where children could be present.

Would not be surprised to see new state laws passed, but then later challenged in court.

As I understand it, the Supreme Court decision does not limit an individual state from maintaining or passing and applying much tighter limitations on guns. Is this not already the case?

I am in this camp. I find gun ownership totally bizarre.
I was in a crap restaurant in New Orleans ( not difficult) and the waiter who wore cowboy boots and a bootlace tie was too busy making out with the waitress to serve the customers. It was the day when the May flies came out and clouds of them were swarming round the tables. When he eventually arrived to slap the plates on our table, I was swatting them off and he said “I’ll go and git ma gun and shoot them”. We took the roaster at his word and paid up and legged it after the main course.

advertisement

Back