advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

The Onion still going in hard on this one. Refreshing to see usually fairly lightweight
satirical entities like this properly put the boot in when it needs doing.

PS I mentioned on the Glastonbury thread, but worth repeating here too, that Megan Thee Stallion had the whole massive crowd chanting “my body, my motherf***ing choice”. Remarkably powerful.

Google will allow employees affected by RvW apply for transfer “without justification.” Google has offices in Austin and Alabama. Not sure if this is just a gesture or more, but I can see other companies following suit.

Google will allow employees affected by RvW apply for transfer “without justification.” Google has offices in Austin and Alabama. Not sure if this is just a gesture or more, but I can see other companies following suit.

There’s a lot of folk on Twitter at the moment offering support for those who need somewhere safe to stay out of state etc. Some literally opening their homes to strangers as they are so horrified by this ruling. Huge amounts of kindness on show and the Google story is far from the first I’ve heard of businesses offering similar. There are a lot of really good people out there.

In the next few years we will see some of these companies relocate.

If things really get nuts we might see something as major as Disney leaving Florida. Seems unlikely, but it would be delicious.

Does all of this have it's genesis in Reagan's presidency?:
- growth in neoliberalism in US, i.e his trickle-down, free-trade economic policies began the growing fissure between rich/poor
- the pollicisation of the so-called christian groups who were not interested in political involvement prior to then -
- the rise of GOP fascism
I can’t speak about the rise of the Christian Right in the US (but it did thrive under Regan’s crusades against the evil empire) but neoliberalism was taken up by Thatcher and Regan after the inflation caused by the oil shocks of the 70”s. The central drive of neoliberal economics was control of inflation at any cost, unfortunately that cost was high unemployment and the creation of the rust belt in the US and the Northern industrial wastelands in the U.K. Apart from the unemployment and decades of poverty, the Rust Belt and the Northern Wastelands gave us Trump and Brexit, and, ironically, high inflation sustained until the next economic crash, caused incidentally, by the de-regulation of the financial markets carried out in accordance with neoliberal economic directives

Extinguishing life due to personal selfishness is not something i believe in, as expressed earlier, take responsibility for your actions, there are thousands of couples who cannot conceive & desperately want to rear a child. Take responsibility, give birth & let someone who wants the child, take control. Does anyone really have the right to extinguish potential life if sex was consensual.
Characterising what for the vast majority of women, and men, is a very traumatic decision as “selfishness” is rather gross. You are entitled to your anti abortion point of view, but you are not entitled to force your morality on other people. But in the case of Roe v Wade, it isn’t just the imposition of a personal moral point of view that is so objectionable, but the imposition of Religious Point of View driven by wealth and a right wing political agenda that takes us from the objectionable and towards the undemocratic

Last edited:
An interesting article from a few years back looking at what happens in countries where there is no recourse to safe legal abortion.

Even though abortion is illegal in El Salvador, one in three pregnancies still ends in abortion, Oberman says. Many women there who want to abort their pregnancies do it by finding misoprostol on the street. According to Oberman, those who do die from abortion-related causes in the country fall into roughly three categories ... First, some doctors refuse to treat pregnant women with chemotherapy or other potent medications because they are worried they might harm the fetus. Second, some doctors allow ectopic pregnancies—in which a fertilized egg grows outside the womb and can’t survive to birth—to continue until the woman’s fallopian tube explodes, because they fear that eggs in even ectopic pregnancies will be considered living beings under the law. In the third category are teenage girls who kill themselves because they are distraught over their pregnancies. These teenage deaths account for three-eighths of all maternal deaths in El Salvador.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/10/how-many-women-die-illegal-abortions/572638/

We all have our own views but it's doubtful i will change my stance on this. I'm pro life & cannot see a single argument here to change my mind.
"I am more concerned with the rights of a child than the selfish needs of the parent"

Your view is sentimental, irrational and cruel.

Sentimental because you put the "rights" of a developing foetus, a group of cells, which in your belief system is "a child", before the rights of an actual, fully developed fellow adult human being who is making a difficult and painful, life-changing decision. Sentimentality and cruelty often go hand-in-hand, in my experience. ( "Selfish parent" )

Irrational because your view goes against the reality of human life, where people are not perfect and women can become pregnant without planning it. You want to legislate for a perfect world that no-one lives in and only exists inside your own mind. That is cruel and irrational. Your mind is closed; "it's doubtful I will change my stance...".

Adult people are in charge of their own bodies and cells. A foetus, on the way to becoming a baby, is not separate from the mother. It is her own flesh and blood. They are one deeply-interconnected being for a very long time, and total dependancy lasts for, at the very least, two years or more after birth. The scientific evidence for this is well-documented and life-long damage results from separating a baby from it's birth mother.
A woman can't nurture a pregnancy for 9 months, undergoing massive physiological and emotional change, give birth (another massive, life-changing event) and then hand a child over, like an unwanted package. To think this is a good outcome shows your total ignorance of life-as-it-is and displays your lack of love and empathy. You are one cold fish.

Your "stance" does not come from a place of love my friend, it comes from a nasty, dark, vengeful part of your being. Take a good look in the mirror.

I'd trace it back farther than Reagan. There's the Powell Memo of 1971, and the founding of the Heritage Foundation in 1973 to turn the Powell Memo into policy. This is the blueprint for shifting the tax burden away from the corporations and ultra-wealthy.

And the rise of the religious right to oppose school desegregation also occurred in the early 1970s. They soon shifted their focus to opposition of Roe v Wade, which was decided (by a REPUBLICAN Supreme Court...) in 1973.
Yes, goes much further back that Regan, it comes out of economists like Hayek and Milton Friedman in the 50’s, and, as they both challenged Keynes by looking back to 19c Classic Economics, perhaps even further.

An interesting article from a few years back looking at what happens in countries where there is no recourse to safe legal abortion.

Even though abortion is illegal in El Salvador, one in three pregnancies still ends in abortion, Oberman says. Many women there who want to abort their pregnancies do it by finding misoprostol on the street. According to Oberman, those who do die from abortion-related causes in the country fall into roughly three categories ... First, some doctors refuse to treat pregnant women with chemotherapy or other potent medications because they are worried they might harm the fetus. Second, some doctors allow ectopic pregnancies—in which a fertilized egg grows outside the womb and can’t survive to birth—to continue until the woman’s fallopian tube explodes, because they fear that eggs in even ectopic pregnancies will be considered living beings under the law. In the third category are teenage girls who kill themselves because they are distraught over their pregnancies. These teenage deaths account for three-eighths of all maternal deaths in El Salvador.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/10/how-many-women-die-illegal-abortions/572638/
Holy mother. I cannot "like" your post. That report is astounding in its grimness.

Holy mother. I cannot "like" your post. That report is astounding in its grimness.
This is the fundamental problem with Roe v Wade; banning legal abortion will not ban abortion, it will just de-professionalise abortion and make it a lot more dangerous. Pro Life legislation will inevitably lead to many deaths.

Trump boasts he can "grab any pussy" he wants...and we all know that grabbing leads to something close to rape. Tax evasion and not paying his debts will pay for it.
BJ can shag any woman he wants and father numerous children because the taxpayer will pay for them one fake job or another.
But if any poor woman gets pregnant and needs an abortion let her die. Thoughts and prayers.

Trump boasts he can "grab any pussy" he wants...and we all know that grabbing leads to something close to rape. Tax evasion and not paying his debts will pay for it.
BJ can shag any woman he wants and father numerous children because the taxpayer will pay for them one fake job or another.
But if any poor woman gets pregnant and needs an abortion let her die. Thoughts and prayers.
[TONGUEINCHEEK] This is the problem with neoliberalism; it not only looks back to a 19th century economic model, it also looks back to a 19th century attitude to women, workers and tax [/TONGUEINCHEEK]

Actually, that’s not so tongue-in-cheek, it is very much where we were and in so many respects, where we we have returned to.

Here’s that Megan Thee Stallion section from last night I referred to earlier (Twitter). That chant is just amazing. It will likely be my Glastonbury highlight for this year!

And here is Olivia Rodrigo calling out the five far-right Supreme Court Justices by name at Glastonbury (Twitter).

Good on both of them. Music is an exceptionally powerful platform for protest and should be used. Respect.

Your view is sentimental, irrational and cruel.

Sentimental because you put the "rights" of a developing foetus, a group of cells, which in your belief system is "a child", before the rights of an actual, fully developed fellow adult human being who is making a difficult and painful, life-changing decision. Sentimentality and cruelty often go hand-in-hand, in my experience. ( "Selfish parent" )

Irrational because your view goes against the reality of human life, where people are not perfect and women can become pregnant without planning it. You want to legislate for a perfect world that no-one lives in and only exists inside your own mind. That is cruel and irrational. Your mind is closed; "it's doubtful I will change my stance...".

Adult people are in charge of their own bodies and cells. A foetus, on the way to becoming a baby, is not separate from the mother. It is her own flesh and blood. They are one deeply-interconnected being for a very long time, and total dependancy lasts for, at the very least, two years or more after birth. The scientific evidence for this is well-documented and life-long damage results from separating a baby from it's birth mother.
A woman can't nurture a pregnancy for 9 months, undergoing massive physiological and emotional change, give birth (another massive, life-changing event) and then hand a child over, like an unwanted package. To think this is a good outcome shows your total ignorance of life-as-it-is and displays your lack of love and empathy. You are one cold fish.

Your "stance" does not come from a place of love my friend, it comes from a nasty, dark, vengeful part of your being. Take a good look in the mirror.

How life is defined though? Is there an agreed definition?

advertisement

Back