advertisement

Today I am a small blue thing..

Well, it was good whilst it lasted…..but it didn’t last very long! Started to have speed stability issues this W/E, changed back to original belt and all sorted. Cleaned all the usual places with IPA but on putting the BB back in speed issues returned. Might it be the boiling that has caused this short life? Still, sounded nice at the beginning. I guess it has been degrading for a while, as the deck is sounding bloody fantastic with the original fitted.

Very sorry to hear of your issue..

Thankfully my Blue Belt is still providing awesome playback, but I used talc to lower the "tackiness" with mine.

Got my blue belt yesterday and had a good listening session last night.
Lingo 4 user as well.Initially had the belt running to high but after adjusting it, so it was running right and the L4 light was dimming.
I did notice on the inner platter the belt sits right at the bottom.Where the old belt was a little bit higher.
Early impressions are very impressive theirs a real relaxed rightness.Drum kit and cymbals seem easier to follow in the mix.
Going to leave it running when at work
Maybe it needs some running in time ?

Thanks Mike a great product and for your fast turn around speed sending it to me.

I’m a Lingo 4 user and Mike kindly replaced my blue belt with a thicker one . I’ve been on holiday so unable to try it yet but hope to get improved results this weekend

Hi,
Might it be possible that there is indeed a correct way round to the bluey but it is not discernible by the usual finger test and you have to listen to it both ways round and take your pick ? I originally loved the results, then refitted it to try and adjust the speed because it´s position on the inner platter was slightly lower than usual so I got a strobe disc and adjusted the screws on the motor so that it regained its usual half way up/down the inner platter and the speed was OK. By this time I had no idea which was the right way round so 50-50 chance. Over the past week or so I noticed it had become slightly jarring in the mids (front row) and lacking in bass positivity so this morning I turned it inside out and immediately felt more relaxed and understood what other postees have noticed regarding the rightness of drums and more extended cymbals. (Row 5 or 6)
I realise I am deaf and far be it for me to reach a conclusion but it was just a gut feeling.

Hi,
Might it be possible that there is indeed a correct way round to the bluey but it is not discernible by the usual finger test and you have to listen to it both ways round and take your pick ? I originally loved the results, then refitted it to try and adjust the speed because it´s position on the inner platter was slightly lower than usual so I got a strobe disc and adjusted the screws on the motor so that it regained its usual half way up/down the inner platter and the speed was OK. By this time I had no idea which was the right way round so 50-50 chance. Over the past week or so I noticed it had become slightly jarring in the mids (front row) and lacking in bass positivity so this morning I turned it inside out and immediately felt more relaxed and understood what other postees have noticed regarding the rightness of drums and more extended cymbals. (Row 5 or 6)
I realise I am deaf and far be it for me to reach a conclusion but it was just a gut feeling.
There are actually 4 options, up, down, inside, outside. One way definitely sounds better than the others

I too noticed an improvement, nothing Earth shattering like some are reporting (nowhere near going d.c or the karousel for example), but the point is moot if it only lasts a few weeks……..

I too noticed an improvement, nothing Earth shattering like some are reporting (nowhere near going d.c or the karousel for example), but the point is moot if it only lasts a few weeks……..

Surely, this might depend on where you are coming from ? If you have a simple Cirkus and a prehistoric Norton tranny as is my case, then your earth is much easier to shatter whereas those who have already invested in Radikals and Karousels are already X% of the way there and are fooled by it less.

The secret must be my imperfect pitch or the fact that when at Uni. I realised that the mech. engineers were a shower of frustrated p*** artists only superceded by the Chem. variety.

As a former frustrated p*** artist, I can but bow to your innate understanding of human behaviour, and mass psychology Chris.

I am, however, curious as to which discipline someone with an obvious inability to spell longer words managed to graduate from. Pray tell ..?

Sorry Alan, if you’re really interested, it was Economics and Foreign Languages but after 50 years living abroad the fact that the odd American spelling creeps into my English is hardly a sin and , dare I say it, to be expected. In actual fact I thought Iwould be pulled up for it’s instead of its in an earlier post. Mea culpa. Thank you anyway, it’s far more interesting than my views regarding a piece of stretchy rubber

I have a bog standard 1984 LP12 with Valhalla, Ittok and Goldring G2200 mm cartridge feeding Naim NAC62/NAP140/HiCap.

I never played vinyl much as it was always a bit bright and quite sibilant with the Goldring. Then I discovered that they need capacitive loading between 100 – 200 pF. The MM cards in the NAC62 are the older loading value of 470pF so I replaced the caps with 100pF and this transformed the sound balance to neutral. Well it actually did more than this, it sounded much richer with better bass control and sweet mids. The change of loading reduced the sibilance considerably but not completely. I assume that to eliminate it completely would require a change of cart to something non elliptical.

Before going down that route I replaced the belt in the LP12 as it was due a new one since it was last changed 20 years ago, so I fitted a Blue Belt to see what all the fuss was about.

I didn’t boil it or use talc, just fitted it straight out the package. (I think it’s the later 1.0 mm version).

Speed wise from the word go it ran at 33.25 RPM, which to me is nigh on perfect.

After 20 hours or so playing, low and behold the remaining sibilance is gone! :)

Gordon.

advertisement

Back