advertisement

AT VM cartridges.

I've got two: a VM95E and a VM95ML. The ML is the main cart on my Technics 1210GR and I think it's excellent. I mean, If I killed it today I'd buy another one tomorrow, that's how much I like it. I use my 95E as a donkey cart for playing records from charity shops so that if I like what I hear then I'll clean the record and then and only then will I allow my 95ML to play it. Thanks to interchangeable stylus heads it literally takes a matter of seconds to swaps stylus profiles between VM carts; you can also buy replacement stylus heads so you don't even have to buy a full 95E cart in order to switch between stylus profiles, just a replacement stylus.

This is pretty much what I'd suggest to anyone looking to buy a VM cart. Buy the one you like, or simply take a punt on the 95ML and see how you get on, and buy a 95E cart or 95E replacement stylus to use as a donkey to protect and prolong the life of your preferred VM stylus.

I have the VM95E (good)
The VM740ML (superb)
The VM750SH (not bad)

I’d go for an ML version, because it’s more durable and sounds great. The dearer Shibata has a blander sound – I always go for a bright sound.

I have the VM95E (good)
The VM740ML (superb)
The VM750SH (not bad)

I’d go for an ML version, because it’s more durable and sounds great. The dearer Shibata has a blander sound – I always go for a bright sound.

Just goes to show you how everyone has different ears .

I have the VM750SH and I think it is wonderful, to my ears it has a better mids then the microline versions .

I'm sure the op won't be disappointed with any of the mentioned carts they are all brilliant value for money.

I've only heard a few carts from the range but based on my experience with lots of carts and styluses my opinion would be, depending on budget:

EN, ML or SLC

Pick a platform of your choice for holding the stylus but these three are the cherries.

I've always liked the sound of nude styluses and the EN is the cheapest one you get. just sounds a bit more open and immediate than the E. In some ways the ML is the sweet spot as it's nearly as detailed as the top profiles but reasonably forgiving and lasts for ages. Little bit on the cool side.

The SLC profile is 'feck me' good and no surprise Audio Technica use it on their top cartridges. Quiet and kind to poor records, highly detailed and clear. Fast and insightful yet silky smooth. It's so well balanced you wonder how they do it.

Only one I'd actively avoid is the Shibata. Just don't like the profile. Anything else Audio Technica makes I'd use. Even the conical stylus is great for playing old records that sound rubbish on anything else.

Here's a very comprehensive guide to the AT-VM range, it includes a chart detailing which styli are compatible with every cartridge body in the range:

That's a handy reference. I went for a 530 EN for my second deck because of the range of styli available. May treat it to a SLC tip one day ;0)

I have the 440MLB microcline and currently use the AT95 SH Shibata.

The Shibata suits me more than the ML. It’s richer sounding in the midrange and the bass is deeper than what I get from the ML.
I don’t find the ML bright but the Shibata is more of a warmer sounding cartridge by comparison

Thank you all for your replies. There's some interesting reading here for sure, that'll keep me occupied for a while.
I was curious about the various AT's and what they have to offer, based on my recent and limited experience.

Not too long ago I bought a Thorens TD166 MKII from these parts(shout out to anil, top chap) it came with an ADC Series 1 cartridge/stylus. I played it and thought, hmm ok nice. Then I came by a Shure M95ed original, used but still with some life. This time, wow that sounds really nice.
Next, I bought an ATVM95E from a local music store in Sydney for $60 just because of the good things I had read about it. Well, I set it up yesterday and listened to it last night and all I can say is crikey... for such an affordable cart it really was digging deep. Pleasing detail, some of which I couldn't hear with the Shure. I understand it is what it is for it's price point and there will be better, but holy moly it kept me very happy for the couple of hours listening last night.

I use my VM740 on a Thorens TD160 (stock arm, TP63 wand) and it sounds absolutely brilliant. The best I’ve heard on this deck – which I’ve had since 1982 :)

advertisement

Back