advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Crowded House were gave a typically great festival performance though the little boy (one of the band's ?) wailing at the end brought Yoko Ono to mind. Plant and Krauss were subtle and nuanced, not something which quite works at Glasto judging by some of the blank gormos near the front. Mixing Levee with Friends with AK on fiddle was fantastic - if she didn't want to do this, she wouldn't.
Arlo Parks was pretty cool too and the band was spot on. Not watching any of the poppy stuff, nor the heavier bands probably..... and I saw Sir Paul back in 2003 in Brum, that was enough for me.

If you like electronic music watch Confidence Man. They absolutely rocked and had the crowd in their hands.
Their last track is amazing

The iPlayer is getting better, individual band sets are now available, but they’ve split them into bizarre groupings so you have to click through many tabs to find what you want. Having a look at Arlo Parks right now.

The iPlayer is getting better, individual band sets are now available, but they’ve split them into bizarre groupings so you have to click through many tabs to find what you want. Having a look at Arlo Parks right now.

Yes I thought the same about the groupings. You really need to go through all of them to check whether missing or just strangely categorised.

Is it just me or is the sound engineering really poor this year? My mum got frustrated watching Plant & Krauss's set as she couldn't hear a word either were singing and ended up switching them off, commenting "that girl needs to pipe up some!". Sam Fender's vocal wasn't that much clearer to be fair, but at least his set had some energy. I think the Glasto mixes need more direct mic feeds without so much wetness, I know they're trying to convey the festival vibe but I don't want things to sound like I'm listening from the adjacent field! I didn't stick the pace to watch Billy Eilish, had the sound quality improved by then?

Is it just me or is the sound engineering really poor this year?

Doesn’t sound any better or worse than usual to me. The TV rig is a Audio Synthesis Passion, Quad 303 and Spendor S3/5R, albeit low and tilted on the Ikea stands folk use for Shahinian Elfs. A good system IMO, clear and articulate. The Glastonbury sound is consistently well mic’d IMO, I assume a line feed off the PA, though it is certainly heavily compressed/limited. There is very little dynamics either for fast transients such as accented drum hits, or long-form where a song should build in amplitude from a quiet beginning to a loud end or whatever. It is all squashed down to the same level, just as they do with The Proms, which obviously suffers even more. The result is it takes the guts right out of everything to the point you can barely tell which the quiet and loud songs are at times. A shame, but I guess the aim is not to rattle or distort the tiny speakers in plastic flat panel TVs. We are in the distinct minority running this through studio-grade kit.

PS It would be interesting to capture a bit and stick it in Audacity or whatever. I bet there is very little dynamic range or shape to songs that should have real dynamic swings.

Take TLC for example. Getting on, but their band, F me, doesn’t get a lot better.

Just trying a bit of that now… agree, a truly superb band! Wasn’t expecting that!

PS I’m very interested to see what Kendrick Lamar pulls out of the bag tomorrow. He’s certainly worked with truly amazing musos (Kamasi Washington, Thundercat etc etc). I’ll be disappointed if it is just electronic backing.

PS It would be interesting to capture a bit and stick it in Audacity or whatever. I bet there is very little dynamic range or shape to songs that should have real dynamic swings.

Ok. That'll give me something to do later!

Just trying a bit of that now… agree, a truly superb band! Wasn’t expecting that!

PS I’m very interested to see what Kendrick Lamar pulls out of the bag tomorrow. He’s certainly worked with truly amazing musos (Kamasi Washington, Thundercat etc etc). I’ll be disappointed if it is just electronic backing.

The band absolutely nail it on ‘Waterfalls’. Great finale.

That looks a heck of a lot better than it sounds! Track 4 in particular looks to have a fair bit of dynamic movement across the song length.

Take TLC for example. Getting on, but their band, F me, doesn’t get a lot better. Proper pro session musicians.

Took me completely by surprise did TLC as I only started watching them 'by accident' as it's not really my sort of thing, but they were a revelation... as you say what a band behind them. Very impressed.

Sorry no - I know about that.

I meant link for this.

Michael James's Facebook page is a good start. He's the guy who wrote the riff for Strings Of Life.

Detroit Techno is a PR myth constructed by Neil Rushton at the time of the Techno Sound Of Detroit compilation and then aggressively propagated by Derrick May and the supporting cast who built a career out of it. There was never any grassroots techno scene in Detroit, I discovered that when I visited the city in 1991. There were just a few producers and a record shop. Kevin Saunderson is the only one of that trio who ever had any musical talent. Ask yourself why Derrick May and Juan Atkins haven't produced a record of any note for over three decades.

advertisement

Back