advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

Perhaps time for term limits for Supreme Court judges, or expand the court and have one judge per State?
Martin, its having 2 Senators per State which gives the Right so much power in the first place. If it was by by population the GOP wouldn’t have to lean on the southern states so heavily so this may never have arisen. Tbf PR Voting would probably be needed as the GOP as stands would never get in.
Excuse me if I’m incorrect, sitting at home with day 3 COVID has addled me somewhat!

A bit one-sided too. If you don't have a womb, why do you have any more right to express a pro-abortion view than a pro-life view?
Because a "pro-life" view forces your own belief onto women and asks them to bear the consequences, whereas a pro-choice view lets women choose for themselves. Being at least theoretically implicated by this seems a reasonable minimum standard for being able to tell women what to do IMHO...

The results start coming:

Rutledge said the Supreme Court decision puts Arkansas' anti-abortion laws in place and allows the state to ban abortions — with the only exception being to save the life of a mother in a medical emergency.

So a rape victim has to carry the pregnancy... I hope that satisfies the religious right.

There are a number of states with sunset laws in place that will kick in if RvW is overturned.

It doesn't happen immediately though, there are still some procedural hoops to jump through, it'll take several months for the new Theocratic State Order to go into effect.

Really? How so? You think men should tell women what they can and cannot do with their bodies?
An opinion can only be expressed if you are directly affected by the subject? Or is it that an opinion can only be expressed if it coincides with yours?

A bit one-sided too. If you don't have a womb, why do you have any more right to express a pro-abortion view than a pro-life view?

Because the pro-woman’s rights view is err…. pro-woman’s rights. No bloke on this side of the argument is defending anything beyond a woman’s right to choose what occurs in her own body. By being pro-choice I grasp it isn’t my choice, it isn’t some god’s, and it sure as hell shouldn’t be the choice of a load of miserable elderly far-right Christian fundamentalist white Republican men who imposed it directly against the will of the people (America is 70% pro-choice).

The killing of babies before born is not something i feel comfortable with. It's a good decision.

Women don't get an abortion lightly...But it is ok to kill doctors in the US who carry out abortions? It is ok to allow women who are raped or victims of incest to be forced to have the child? What about children with severe defects? Or pregnancies that threaten the life of the woman? Unlike you, I do not think it is a good decision but a retrograde step for many women in the USA!

Because a "pro-life" view forces your own belief onto women and asks them to bear the consequences, whereas a pro-choice view lets women choose for themselves. Being at least theoretically implicated by this seems a reasonable minimum standard for being able to tell women what to do IMHO...

Because the pro-woman’s rights view is err…. pro-woman’s rights. No bloke on this side of the argument is defending anything beyond a woman’s right to choose what occurs in her own body. By being pro-chouce I grasp it isn’t my choice, it isn’t some god’s, and it sure as hell shouldn’t be the choice of a load of miserable elderly far-right Christian fundamentalist white Republicans who imposed it directly against the will of the people (America is 70% pro-choice).

Fair enough.

That chart is wrong. The UK has free access to abortion up to 24 weeks with no questions asked, whilst france has more restrictive rights, up to 14 weeks if I remember, and only if a physician recommends that the pregnancy will lead to serious injury to the woman (physical or mental). France is marked as no restriction, the UK is marked as some weird 'socioeconomic grounds bullshit'.

I think New Zealand is wrongly titled as well. You could contact the map-makers and put them right. The broad point I was making (perhaps badly) is that authoritarian approaches to abortion go hand-in-hand with oppressive, punitive regimes. That is not a coincidence.

Women of America, I appreciate the restraint you've shown in not murdering all of us men in our sleep until now. If tonight is the night, I understand and I still think you've shown remarkable restraint.” Steve Albini (Twitter).
Brainless, broad brush comment. Albini trying too hard to prove himself a feminist, again.

There are a number of states with sunset laws in place that will kick in if RvW is overturned.

It doesn't happen immediately though, there are still some procedural hoops to jump through, it'll take several months for the new Theocratic State Order to go into effect.

Correction - it appears that Alabama clinics are already turning women away. The clinic in Mississippi has to close in ten days. I don't know what the limits are for other states with trigger laws.

advertisement

Back