advertisement

Naim NAC 282 output relay failure help needed

analogmusic

pfm Member
Hello all
my 12 year old NAC 282 developed this fault : has no output on the right channel, tested it (I have another Naim system) and the fault is with the NAC 282.

Most probably is the output relay. Sending this back to Naim UK is very expensive, would appreciate if anyone can help me locate the replacement relay part and maybe I can get an audio engineer here where I am to replace it.

I just don't know which is the replacement part for it.

thank you

Have a technician take a look at which relay is not working - it should be quite easy to work out which one is duff. Read the number off it, and do some googling to find stock, or a drop-in replacement. I don't know exactly which relays the 282 uses but I am pretty sure that equivalent replacements are available.

It will be one of these

https://uk.farnell.com/hamlin/he722a1210/relay-reed-dpst-no-200v-0-5a-tht/dp/9561820

The local Element 14 outlet will stock an identical one.

Tracking back from the output sockets should identify it easily enough, it will be the first thing you come to.

They don't actually fail at all commonly, and even less so on one channel only so don't just assume it is the source of the trouble.

Check you have a signal on the input side before replacing it since if you don't the fault is further upstream.

thanks for your help, there is an output signal only on the left channel, when I press the mon button it does add both channels correctly....

thanks for your help, there is an output signal only on the left channel, when I press the mon button it does add both channels correctly....

That isn't 100% conclusive assuming the design follows earlier preamps since the mono function sits between the time aligned input buffer and the main gain stage.

You need to run a test signal and trace it as far as it gets. If it gets past the final tant of the gain stage then it's definitely the output relay. A test tone or compressed CD plus a multimeter is he only tooling you need to do that.

Thanks @colasblue : it was the output relay information - in the end I got it repaired at a Naim dealer.

I was wondering though - would using the reed relay from farnell have any effect on SQ. I remember reading on their forum that they tried another manufacturer and found the SQ was not as good as the one they currently use (I don't know what they use as I wasn't there during the repair)

They used to use CP Clare Relays but the firm went bust so as far as I know they now use something else. It's a switch component so depending on contact quality one could sound slightly different from another but I wouldn't expect there to be much in it.

advertisement

Back