advertisement

Volt loudspeakers

I bought my AOS speakers second hand but the seller gave me the original build manual which was very comprehensive. The components and drivers included were all top-notch stuff. Mine had ATC and Scanspeak drivers so I can't comment on the Volt drivers but I was very impressed with the general quality of the AOS kit.

20171127_090802 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

Those are lovely looking things. I note on his website someone has made baffle out of plate aluminium beautifully machined for the drivers...I think we've been half-assing it over here for far too long.

If only I had the cash and time available before Brexit hit.

Been spending a bit of time cleaning the Volt BM2500.4 drivers, I managed to get one of the grilles off quite easily and the cone was in a right state underneath. Loads of dust/dirt matted together and quite a bit stuck to the cone and surround. A mix of a bit of parcel tape and then ended up lightly wiping them with a slight damp sponge and microfibre cloth, over a couple of days to make sure the cone did not get too wet. Coming out quite nicely, I'll wait a week or so to do the other four as we are in the process of moving house and they are easier to transport with the grilles in place.

After the first go at dust removal:

Volt BM2500.4 Dirty
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

After two cleans:

Volt BM2500.4

What are your plans for them. I have two b2500.1 sitting in my wardrobe the last few year.

At the moment, as they are 16-Ohms, an MTM using a Seos12 waveguide, most likely with a BMS 4550 compression driver. Once I have them all cleaned up, I can start some further measurements and get on with the cabinets. I have an older Castle subwoofer, with an ATC PA75-314 driver in it, which I like the idea of making a Tapped Horn Subwoofer out of but I need to get to grips with Hornresp for that!

Volt Seos

advertisement

Back