advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

off to The Great London. Nice feed in restaurant tonight. Staying in a Hotel with a pool so a swim and steam room is in order.

Might take an extended journey, just so we can get a train on the Elizabeth Line.....

Recovered from Covid just in time to take daughter #2 to Bicester Shopping Village for her birthday. She was in her element with Mrs BB, who would be a gold medal contender if shopping became an Olympic Event.BB
Fortunately Mrs H hates shopping almost as much as I do. I am still haunted by memories of a very long day we spent many years ago at Clark’s Shopping Village at Street in Somerset. Our younger daughter was a rather fractious seven-year-old at the time and was bored after ten minutes, so I was deputed with entertaining her for the remaining six hours we were there. All that was bought was a jug, and that was more out of desperation than anything else.

Louise doesn't like shopping, I am ambivalent at best. Wd both do 90% of our clothes shopping online. We never go to a shopping centre, I hate them. She hates handbags, and is way more interested in a rucksack.

in London, went to Moorgate, so we could have a ride on the Elizabeth line - it's great. But beware of the escalator link from Moorgate. It is so long and steep it is vertigo inducing - 2 long escalators going downwards - the line must be really deep at that point.

I needed a break so took this week off work. That’s given me the time I needed to get some done at home and spend some time working on my GTM. I’ve given her a new set of springs, got the hydraulic clutch conversion done and I’m part way through upgrading the cooling system. An MGF radiator is a fair bit bigger than the one that came out so the old brackets are gone and I’m making up some new ones. No problem if you have an angle grinder and a decent welder:D

Postal Museum in London is an interesting way to kill some time. And you get a ride on the little Mail Rail train

20220624-135328.jpg

Finally bit the bullet and took the door off the ex-garage to shorten it a bit (been catching for a good while)
Foolishly used a recently acquired electric screwdriver and, sure enough, stripped the head off the lowest screw (GRRR)

Much cursing and sweating kneeling on the floor to work the head with a pair of pliers - - but finally got movement and the job could progress.
Now have a not-sticking door so some satisfaction guaranteed .....

hotel buffet breakfast, OK ingrediants, etc....but I've never seen so much food waste. Why do people stack their plate high, and then eat a tiny amount.

off home - seems the train strike is having no impact on our route. KiingsX seems a bit less busy than usual for a Saturday, but plenty of trains on the board.

The first question is grammatically correct but sounds odd because it is more common in American English than in British English.
For the second question, "what" is the appropriate interrogative word for that question. "Which" would only apply if it was limited to a choice of two.

At school (50 years ago, admittedly), after an initial warning, the "intrusive of" earned you four sides from the English master.

Today managed to fix my Cyrus CD6SE. A bit of a saga....
It started skipping a few months ago, so I got a new laser unit off eBay. A couple of weeks ago, it would not even read a disc, so I thought it was time to swap it out. That turned out a bit tricky, even with some details on here from a while back and additional googling. In my ham-fistedness, I somehow managed to damage some contacts on the end of the FFC ribbon cable. Found a replacement on Farnell for not much, but was plus £10 handling fee, so ordered one off eBay from China for £2.39 all in for a 24 way 0.5 pitch x 150mm long, about an inch longer than the original. But on removing the other end of the FFC, as I released the clamp on the connector, I must have used a bit too much force (or Cyrus's SMT soldering is not up to much). So the connector departed from the board, so more grief. Luckily, I work somewhere where we do a lot of soldering, so I got a colleague who is an aerospace J-Std soldering trainer to fix it. Was even a bit tricky for him being very fine pitch, but he managed it even though the tip of the iron was wider than the pitch of the contacts.

So now all back together and working. Spent ages trying to get the alignment right. Seems it still needs a small tweak, as I just heard a short stutter, but it's nearly there!

off to st albans to the mermaid, then a saunter down to the Craft and Cleavage (as my Mrs calls it) for a burger or something

Today managed to fix my Cyrus CD6SE. A bit of a saga....
It started skipping a few months ago, so I got a new laser unit off eBay. A couple of weeks ago, it would not even read a disc, so I thought it was time to swap it out. That turned out a bit tricky, even with some details on here from a while back and additional googling. In my ham-fistedness, I somehow managed to damage some contacts on the end of the FFC ribbon cable. Found a replacement on Farnell for not much, but was plus £10 handling fee, so ordered one off eBay from China for £2.39 all in for a 24 way 0.5 pitch x 150mm long, about an inch longer than the original. But on removing the other end of the FFC, as I released the clamp on the connector, I must have used a bit too much force (or Cyrus's SMT soldering is not up to much). So the connector departed from the board, so more grief. Luckily, I work somewhere where we do a lot of soldering, so I got a colleague who is an aerospace J-Std soldering trainer to fix it. Was even a bit tricky for him being very fine pitch, but he managed it even though the tip of the iron was wider than the pitch of the contacts.

So now all back together and working. Spent ages trying to get the alignment right. Seems it still needs a small tweak, as I just heard a short stutter, but it's nearly there!

i`m impressed jamie . my cd8x only played sometimes on its side ... went to some chap for peanuts to repair and sell on

put together my beautiful new Honda lawnmower and hopefully soon will get to hear Mahlers resurrection symphony which is awesome [ in the flesh] by the cbso

Said goodbye to Mrs BB’s pocket rocket Fiesta ST Performance (the bright orange one), it was a hoot to drive and will be missed.

We collected the replacement BMW 128ti, much nicer interior and more refined all round. I’m not insured on it yet and I’ll pick a quieter time to take it for a spin. Mrs BB’s happy, which was the point of the exercise.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back