Hifi support: Quadraspire QKAV

"Video":
BR: Pioneer BDP71a & HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-EP10

Misc: AudioQuest ICs, digital and speaker cables, Supra "power" cables

P1020551 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr

P1020552 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr

P1020555 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr

Good grief!!!!
Someone else has the Kubrick! That's two of us! I've got it paired with a Jelco 9" 750 arm and a variety of mc cartridges, Did you get the support at the same time?
All backed up by a Meridian active system based around the DSP5200's
Great tt!!

e1G8Vtl.png

The Totem Mites sound great here but the Royds sound like crap

e1G8Vtl.png

The Totem Mites sound great here but the Royds sound like crap
That's an interesting observation. I have a set of Mites myself, and I've owned a bunch of 7 liter Royds (Merlin, Sintra2, Seven, A7X). I can say that the lower end Seven and perhaps A7X would be beaten by the Mites, but any of the others easily trounce it. I've tried the Mites with a bunch of different amps (cheap SMSL, Avondale NCC200 through NCC300, and Neurochrome Modulus-686), and they tend to sound rather closed in, with slightly overblown, wooly midbass. Consequently, I've got them in my bedroom, where my wife doesn't want the music to be too engaging. The soft treble makes that work, but I could never live with the Mites in any serious listening system.

Reactions: x21
That's an interesting observation. I have a set of Mites myself, and I've owned a bunch of 7 liter Royds (Merlin, Sintra2, Seven, A7X). I can say that the lower end Seven and perhaps A7X would be beaten by the Mites, but any of the others easily trounce it. I've tried the Mites with a bunch of different amps (cheap SMSL, Avondale NCC200 through NCC300, and Neurochrome Modulus-686), and they tend to sound rather closed in, with slightly overblown, wooly midbass. Consequently, I've got them in my bedroom, where my wife doesn't want the music to be too engaging. The soft treble makes that work, but I could never live with the Mites in any serious listening system.
It depends heavily on the room. In this case the room is too small for the edens to work well. The top end is a bit much for my younger ears. The edens need the room to fully cooperate to sound their best IMHO.

Last edited:
It depends heavily on the room. In this case the room is too small for the edens to work well. The top end is a bit much for my younger ears. The edens need the room to fully cooperate to sound their best IMHO.
I'll admit that I've never heard the Edens, but I would be surprised if they have a harsh top end. Royd's 7 liter speakers are particularly well-suited to small rooms, and conversely tend to struggle to energize larger spaces.

Having said that, we all have different desires and expectations. It may be that you simply prefer the Atoms, even though I think they sound rolled off and wooly compared to Royds.

I'll admit that I've never heard the Edens, but I would be surprised if they have a harsh top end. Royd's 7 liter speakers are particularly well-suited to small rooms, and conversely tend to struggle to energize larger spaces.

Having said that, we all have different desires and expectations. It may be that you simply prefer the Atoms, even though I think they sound rolled off and wooly compared to Royds.
I wouldn't say the Eden is harsh. But the balance in this small room is off. The mites maintain a decent quickness in this room. Conversely the Edens work great downstairs in a larger room on the long wall.

New cartridge thanks to Martin (MANDY).:cool:

Been on my wishlist for ages having had two OC9ii and until tonight an OC9iii for most of my vinyl listening over the last few years.
I need to fine tune setup still (bit of a nightmare with the nut and bolt arrangement as it's so hard not to move the cartridge in the headshell when you tighten them:mad: - any advice greatly appreciated!!).
Initial impressions are of a richer, meatier sound than the OC9's but without losing any detail.

Last edited:
Spent some proper time getting it dialled in, as well as I can with my crappy eyesight, and it’s sounding absolutely superb - really was a bargain.
Might need a better phonostage now.:rolleyes:

No shim - body looks nigh on parallel to the record surface to me, more so than the OC9iii I was using to my eyes.
I’m sure I could tweak a bit more out of it if but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole.

Is this what this page wants?

LP12, Ekos, Lingo4, Core, Krystal, Karousel
Naim NDX2 +XPS2
Naim CDS2 +XPS
Naim NAC 52 + Supercap
Naim Superline + Hicap
Naim 250
Nakamichi DR-8 (just in case)
B&W 804 D3
Tellurium Q Black 2 speaker cable
Nain cables, but test set of Witch Hat Morganas are other way.

The odd rubbery feet and plates are from HRS. We just did the experiment, and all the HRS bits here improved the sound, controversially including the first record clamp I have heard that doesn't ruin an LP12. The LP 12 is on a sheet of laminated glass on 4 HRS feet on a slab of granite on a wall bracket from Targett - not exactly Linn's 'right and rigid'.

The rack is granite and oak, from HNE 20+ years ago.

I think I am showing my age/ ignorance. I know how to copy and how to email and that sort of thing, but using an external hosting site - well, individually all the words make sense...

I think I am showing my age/ ignorance. I know how to copy and how to email and that sort of thing, but using an external hosting site - well, individually all the words make sense...
Have a go using postimage: https://postimages.org/.

Drag a picture or click onto the button Choose Images / Browse and find your picture

Copy the URL for the Hotlink for Forums and paste it into the PFM message

advertisement

Back