advertisement

US Supreme Court orders states to allow people to carry concealed guns

The Supreme Court seems more and more irrelevant as time passes with it's highly politicized nature and its insistence in strict interpretation of the US Constitution. As a immigrant to the US, it seems strange to me that there is not a more flexible approach to constitutional matters based on current day society.

With the concealed carry and abortion rulings, I really think that we may be seeing the start of some form of devolution of states. The only positive glimmer here is that if there is enough of a groundswell of opinion against such rulings and Democrats gain a big enough majority in the house and senate, laws may be passed to counter this radical swing to the right.

In my case, to fight with an individual or, worst case, a group that might see me as an enemy, or a robbery target, in a time of civil unrest. Same world, different view of it. If you are lucky you will never have to understand why I thought it, despite my basic non-aggressive inclinations, advisable to buy a gun.
Very good post.

Greene - "When British press wants to argue about our God-given American gun rights, my answer is: "go back to your own country.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/firebrand-politician-tells-channel-4-27315124

Hmmm... very strange logic from MGT, I thought that there was a separation of church and state enshrined somewhere in the constitution. I wonder what other rights god gave? The right to own a pick up truck, perhaps a baseball cap or even a thermonuclear device? The list could be endless.

When I was growing up in the UK, any adult could buy a shotgun (hence bank robbers using sawn-off shotguns) or hunting rifle without a permit, the country was full of rifle clubs (I was briefly a member of one around age 12-13) and many schools offered rifle shooting as a sport for their pupils. And there were enormous numbers of old "service revolvers" scattered around everywhere. That all ended in the late '60s. And yet there was no massive protest, as far as I can remember, even after the even tighter legislation in 1988 after a mass shooting. I wonder if at the bottom of the problem in the US there may not be the fact that it is a federation of states, and that the federal government has only limited authority in certain areas. Combined, of course, with the whole tradition of a pioneering nation and self-reliance and so on.
Here in Rome I happened to go to the local firing range a few days ago and the people I saw seemed to be the same as the American "gun nuts" we are thinking of. Except that here there is very strict legislation that keeps them (relatively) safe. Every now and then someone kills his wife or kills a burglar, or himself. But it is nothing like the industrial scale on which these things happen in the US. It is also interesting that professional criminals and terrorists seem to have no problem getting hold of all the firearms they want.

I would expect it depends on where you live - just like the UK. I'm lucky to live in a very safe town - most homes are much less secure than in the UK and yet burglary seems to be very rare.

I don't understand how a safely-stored gun would protect you against home invasion, since a gun is supposed to be stored unloaded in a locked safe.

I know two gun owners who keep loaded pistols in their nightstand drawers for just this reason. One of them has 3 young children.

When I was growing up in the UK, any adult could buy a shotgun (hence bank robbers using sawn-off shotguns) or hunting rifle without a permit, the country was full of rifle clubs (I was briefly a member of one around age 12-13) and many schools offered rifle shooting as a sport for their pupils. And there were enormous numbers of old "service revolvers" scattered around everywhere. That all ended in the late '60s. And yet there was no massive protest, as far as I can remember, even after the even tighter legislation in 1988 after a mass shooting. I wonder if at the bottom of the problem in the US there may not be the fact that it is a federation of states, and that the federal government has only limited authority in certain areas. Combined, of course, with the whole tradition of a pioneering nation and self-reliance and so on.
Here in Rome I happened to go to the local firing range a few days ago and the people I saw seemed to be the same as the American "gun nuts" we are thinking of. Except that here there is very strict legislation that keeps them (relatively) safe. Every now and then someone kills his wife or kills a burglar, or himself. But it is nothing like the industrial scale on which these things happen in the US. It is also interesting that professional criminals and terrorists seem to have no problem getting hold of all the firearms they want.

THE problem in the US is the willful (for-profit) misinterpretation of the second amendment:
https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-2/
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's quite clear that this is meant to mean that there is no standing army, and that the people should form a "well regulated" part time army for defense of the nation.
Somehow the SCOTUS has interpreted the above to mean "Any yahoo can have an Uzi in the glove box and an AR15 in the trunk".

I know two gun owners who keep loaded pistols in their nightstand drawers for just this reason. One of them has 3 young children.

Absolutely bonkers. Only a matter of time before one of the kids kills one of his parents or siblings.

Absolutely bonkers. Only a matter of time before one of the kids kills one of his parents or siblings.

Im with you, but the family in question would disagree. They tell me that some of their neighbors do the same. FWIW, they live in an upscale suburban community with low crime rates.

Yes, one sees the odd child shooting reported in the press but such incidents are not as common as one might expect.

Doesn't a large chunk of American TV feature disaster, death and guns as though that is normal life everywhere ?
And that is just the news programmes ;)

THE problem in the US is the willful (for-profit) misinterpretation of the second amendment:
https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-2/

It's quite clear that this is meant to mean that there is no standing army, and that the people should form a "well regulated" part time army for defense of the nation.
Somehow the SCOTUS has interpreted the above to mean "Any yahoo can have an Uzi in the glove box and an AR15 in the trunk".

Yes. But while in the UK there is one central government recognised by everyone, in the US the State government is seen as "Us" in constant conflict with the "Them" in Washington, so that something like owning firearms becomes an issue of personal freedom and independence vis-a-vis a far away Big Brother, and a strong factor in collecting votes by State-based politicians.

You often hear Americans respond to us not being allowed guns with - "but how do you protect yourself?" - well, protect against what? I can't think of a likely situation I'd need a concealed handgun to defend myself.

That the Supreme Court can be pro choice when it comes to carrying instruments of death, but anti choice on abortion demonstrates that the Supreme Court is not fit for purpose. It has failed in the central balancing purpose of the US constitution. It has failed it’s constitutional purpose.

Hmmm... very strange logic from MGT, I thought that there was a separation of church and state enshrined somewhere in the constitution. I wonder what other rights god gave? The right to own a pick up truck, perhaps a baseball cap or even a thermonuclear device? The list could be endless.

Yep, it's all limbic nonsense.

You often hear Americans respond to us not being allowed guns with - "but how do you protect yourself?" - well, protect against what? I can't think of a likely situation I'd need a concealed handgun to defend myself.

I did, only once in my life. I was about to spend the night alone in a house in the middle of nowhere in Tuscany. The owners, my cousins, were leaving, and the lady who came in to do the cleaning and cooking told me of a gang of Albanians in the area who were breaking into isolated houses and tying up the occupants. In one case a man had died of a heart attack. So I asked my cousin if there were a gun in the house. There wasn't, but nobody broke in.

advertisement

Back