advertisement

US Supreme Court orders states to allow people to carry concealed guns

I am not heavily armed, but own one semi-automatic pistol. My thinking is that is that in a bad civil violence period we might have to flee to a safer area, and the travel might be dangerous.

Practically pure paranoia. Can't say it never happens, but odds are enormously higher that someone, if there is a gun in the house, will use it on another family member or themselves. The paranoids of course are in denial about this danger.

Don't call them gun nuts for nothing....

Indeed

I am not heavily armed, but own one semi-automatic pistol. My thinking is that is that in a bad civil violence period we might have to flee to a safer area, and the travel might be dangerous.
That I find difficult to even begin to understand (not being American). Why would anyone ever want to buy a gun anyway? Different worlds! ;)

I hear you. I'm the opposite - grew up in the UK, moved to California in the late 90s for work, married an American, then relocated to Massachusetts (which I like). Healthcare would be my #1 reason to move back to the UK - paying for US healthcare is like a mob protection racket - but then I read the posts on the thread "WTF is up with the UK" and I wonder what sort of future the UK now has, post Brexit, with a Trump-like Tory party in charge. The far right is making a mess of both countries.

Lived in Boston on and off from '92 to '00. Really loved it and could easily live there again. The combo of big city with Cape Cod 2 hours away and skiing same in the other direction in the winter is a hard one to beat. Until the debacle called Brexit vote was feeling like both places were pretty even. Of course then came Trump. Now of course each has major upheavals that make for unattractiveness in spades. It's like they both decided to just trash anything good that was left. The healthcare really is the straw for us given where we are in our careers. If we were to move back given I've not lived/worked there in 20+ years I fear the financial hits just from health care would just be too great. Hoping things here stabilise and somehow the NHS survives relatively intact.

In the US there seems to be a very ancient issue regarding "concealed carry" and "open carry," which in spite of some reading I fail to understand. Unless I'm mistaken, in some states it is OK to carry a gun in an open holster for everyone to see, but you can't carry the same gun under a jacket where it can't be seen. Must be missing something.

That I find difficult to even begin to understand (not being American). Why would anyone ever want to buy a gun anyway? Different worlds! ;)
In my case, to fight with an individual or, worst case, a group that might see me as an enemy, or a robbery target, in a time of civil unrest. Same world, different view of it. If you are lucky you will never have to understand why I thought it, despite my basic non-aggressive inclinations, advisable to buy a gun.

In the US there seems to be a very ancient issue regarding "concealed carry" and "open carry," which in spite of some reading I fail to understand. Unless I'm mistaken, in some states it is OK to carry a gun in an open holster for everyone to see, but you can't carry the same gun under a jacket where it can't be seen. Must be missing something.
You are expecting logic and consistency from US state legislatures? Not usually....

I don't think it's necessarily dissonant to decide, however reluctantly, that you need a gun to protect yourself from the gun nuts who have guns to protect themselves. The difference between you and them is that a) you reluctantly came to that view; b) you are protecting yourself from demonstrably dangerous people; and c) the gun nuts are protecting themselves from largely imaginary threats, thereby proving themselves to be nuts, and therefore (if armed) demonstrably dangerous.

Oh, and d) you have one semi-automatic pistol; these people have arsenals of quasi-military weaponry. Don't beat yourself up about it.

You live in France. Plenty of French people buy and own guns for hunting or for target shooting. I can see why people might want to do one or both of those things. They are skills that a person can learn, which is satisfying in itself.

Oh, and d) you have one semi-automatic pistol; these people have arsenals of quasi-military weaponry. Don't beat yourself up about it.
And in pretty well every action movie you see the hero has a cupboard with a secret door that opens into an arsenal that wouldn't disgrace a small army depot, and this is portrayed as desirable. The statistic that I find most telling is that already this year, and we haven't even passed the half-way point, there have been 277 reported mass shootings, which is more than 1 a day. MORE THAN 1 A DAY! And the fix for this is to make it EASIER to own and carry a gun? Are you deranged?

In my case, to fight with an individual or, worst case, a group that might see me as an enemy, or a robbery target, in a time of civil unrest. Same world, different view of it. If you are lucky you will never have to understand why I thought it, despite my basic non-aggressive inclinations, advisable to buy a gun.
As I said, impossible for me to fathom this, we do live in different places. Nobody here thinks like that – it is a cultural thing we find hard to comprehend.
I for one also profoundly dislike hunters, but that is a totally different subject!

And in pretty well every action movie you see the hero has a cupboard with a secret door that opens into an arsenal that wouldn't disgrace a small army depot, and this is portrayed as desirable. The statistic that I find most telling is that already this year, and we haven't even passed the half-way point, there have been 277 reported mass shootings, which is more than 1 a day. MORE THAN 1 A DAY! And the fix for this is to make it EASIER to own and carry a gun? Are you deranged?
I believe in fact that the action movie genre has been taken over by the militia propagandists. Besides scads of military grade weapons, the plot lines promote the 'one guy and his arsenal defeat the evil forces' fantasy, with the evil forces often being those of the 'tyrannical liberal government.'

As I said, impossible for me to fathom this, we do live in different places. Nobody here thinks like that – it is a cultural thing we find hard to comprehend.
I also profoundly dislike hunters.
We share the last attitude. I think this is evolution in action. Some still have hunting instincts, some don't. But never say 'no one....' There is a right wing in France, I understand.

Itll be interesting to see what happens in Vegas in a few weeks once lake Mead totally dries up. It could get all zombie apocalypse computer gamey very fast

That was/is my understanding: some States require handguns to be openly displayed, some do not. How you know someone has a gun not on display I have no idea.

advertisement

Back