advertisement

Amplifier for Amphion Argon 3LS

Francisco

Hi,
I have Amphion Argon 3LS speakers, 85db, and I’d like to know if anyone has them too and what amplifier they use. I'm looking at Naim Supernait 3, but I'm still undecided. Thank you!

First thought would be if you bought the Amphion's having auditioned them, what amp was in use then? That would seem a good starting point.

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but Amphions certainly used to pair very well with Lavardin amplification. At one time they shared the same UK distributor, a client of mine at the time, and I heard different combinations, always making a very agreeable sound.

Sn3 will be fantastic. They need power I think . Tried the 3s with several amps and concluded that. Hegel also brilliant with amphion

First thought would be if you bought the Amphion's having auditioned them, what amp was in use then? That would seem a good starting point.

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but Amphions certainly used to pair very well with Lavardin amplification. At one time they shared the same UK distributor, a client of mine at the time, and I heard different combinations, always making a very agreeable sound.

Auden distribution now hegel and Amphion

The reason the U.K. distributor for Amphion took on Hegel many years ago was because of how well they pair with the Finnish loudspeakers.

Of course, preference is everything, and I’ve found a number of amplifiers to work well with Amphion, including Moonriver, Norma Audio, and Exposure. I find these amplifiers to have a better control of the bass and a cleaner top end over Naim amplifiers.

I have the Argon 7LS and have used them with Hegel (H390) and Accuphase (E470) and they've been brilliant. So add Accuphase to your options list (there's what should be a very nice E270 in the classifieds ATM, probably SN3 money):

[FS] - Accuphase E-270 Amplifier/DAC-50 | pink fish media

Can't say for sure as I haven't tried it, but the SimAudio Moon stuff will probably also be great, again see classifieds.

Hi,
I have Amphion Argon 3LS speakers, 85db, and I’d like to know if anyone has them too and what amplifier they use. I'm looking at Naim Supernait 3, but I'm still undecided. Thank you!

The SuperNait 3 is an excellent candidate. Funnily enough we had new SuperNait 3's delivered earlier on today :) Anyway, the SuperNait 3's high current capabilities will help get on top of and keep the low sensitivity and passive radiators design of the 3LS speakers in check.

Btw, out of interest what amplification are you using please?

Currently in my system I have a Primare I21 as amplifier, Primare cd21 and Matrix Audio M as DAC/streamer.
I am looking for an amplifier with good power for these Amphions with low sensitivity. The I21 is small for them, especially at low volume.
Hegel is a very good option, but I would pay for a streamer that I already have.
I have read very good things about the Moon river 404. It is a good option. Also the Moon 240 and 340i.
What about AtollIN300?

Currently in my system I have a Primare I21 as amplifier, Primare cd21 and Matrix Audio M as DAC/streamer.
I am looking for an amplifier with good power for these Amphions with low sensitivity. The I21 is small for them, especially at low volume.
Hegel is a very good option, but I would pay for a streamer that I already have.
I have read very good things about the Moon river 404. It is a good option. Also the Moon 240 and 340i.
What about AtollIN300?

Full disclosure: I am a retailer of Amphion, Hegel and Matrix Audio products (amongst others) but I am familiar with most of the amplifiers on your shortlist. I have not tried the Supernait 3 yet, but I know all of its predecessors very well.

I would think that the Atoll IN300 or the Hegel H190 or upwards would be the best fit for the Argon 3LS from the options that you have shortlisted. The Moon 340i would probably be next on my list. These amps are more powerful and have better current handling ability than the rest of your shortlist. A nice bonus is that they all have balanced analogue inputs for your Element M. The only downside is that these models all come with redundant DACs and, in the case of Hegel, a redundant streamer too. If this redundancy is a source of concern, consider that you could trade in your Element M and step up to the next level Hegel H390 instead.

What about AtollIN300?

the moonriver is a superb amp with the right speakers .try it with amphion by all means .

Matrix Audio M as DAC/streamer.
I am looking for an amplifier with good power for these Amphions with low sensitivity.

Thanks for your reply.

Two alternative options to also consider -

1. Kinki Studio Audio's EX-M1+ High Speed, Wide Bandwidth, High Current Dual Monaural Integrated Amplifier @ UK RRP £2850. Fwiw, going by some reviews EX-M1+ is compared to amplification at twelve times it's price! -

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-kinki-studio-ex-m1-215-wpc-integrated-amplifier-r1041/

2. At the same price as the EX-M1+ for even better power and performance and to maximize the Matrix Audio M by using it as a pre amp directly feeding Kinki Studio Audio's EX-M7 High Speed, Ultra Wide Bandwidth 0-2.5MHz!, Ultra High Current Dual Monaural Power Amplifier @ UK RRP £2850. The EX-M7 is as one reviewer put it a bare knuckle pugilistic which i agree with btw. The EX-M7's power delivery is instant and brutal. The 3LS speakers will not know what has hit them. I am sorry to say that simply put the 3LS and I doubt any Amphion speakers for that matter are capable of getting anywhere near the best from the EX-M7. Please take a look at the following review of the EX-M7 used with Buchardt S400's which also use passive radiators -

Btw, a couple of pics of our EX-M7 -

201442480_3814398042020462_1759816856850078535_n.jpg

203109500_3814398512020415_4825198514060550035_n.jpg

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I am a retailer of Amphion, Hegel and Matrix Audio products (amongst others) but I am familiar with most of the amplifiers on your shortlist. I have not tried the Supernait 3 yet, but I know all of its predecessors very well.

I would think that the Atoll IN300 or the Hegel H190 or upwards would be the best fit for the Argon 3LS from the options that you have shortlisted. The Moon 340i would probably be next on my list. These amps are more powerful and have better current handling ability than the rest of your shortlist. A nice bonus is that they all have balanced analogue inputs for your Element M. The only downside is that these models all come with redundant DACs and, in the case of Hegel, a redundant streamer too. If this redundancy is a source of concern, consider that you could trade in your Element M and step up to the next level Hegel H390 instead.
Thank you very much, would you add any more models to the list in your opinion?

the moonriver is a superb amp with the right speakers .try it with amphion by all means .
Thank you very much, I will certainly try even if I have to travel. It may be a warmer sound. In fact, it seems that tube amplifiers combine very well with this type of speaker.

advertisement

Back