advertisement

Line Level Input Differences

Toby Jug

I realise that cartridges require a frequency shift and have a lower output level than other sources but should the other inputs on an amp be the same, Tuner, cd, tape monitor etc?

I was wondering if the sound level difference between the CD and DAC outputs was due to different output levels between these 2 boxes or the sensitivity of the inputs on the amp.

I believe it’s the output levels on the source components that tend to vary. My streamer sounds much much louder than my turntable at the same volume setting.

In the absence of controls to specifically adjust their sensitivity, I would expect all of the inputs on your amplifier of a particular type (RCA, XLR etc) which are not labelled "phono" to have same sensitivity as one another. There is no law or technological limitation to say that they have to be the same, but it would be an odd design choice if they were not.

It is quite common for source components from different manufacturers to have slightly different or even very different output levels.

Some source manufacturers like to exceed the 2v standard for line level inputs on RCA connectors, presumably because it means their components sound louder in a demo, which is often equated to better, more muscular, exciting, fuller, richer etc in a listener's imagination, especially in demos that are not level matched

My Sonos Amp has a Source Level adjustment that allows you to better match the volume between a source like a turntable to the volume of the streamer.

It also has an Autoplay setting which detects the input from the source and plays the amp at a user adjustable volume level.

advertisement

Back