advertisement

Power cable recommendations....

Apart from the improbably high voltages we have improbably high differential bandwidth ("-6 dB at 10 MHz"). On the one hand people worry about unwanted rubbish on the mains but here we have a cable that deliberately opens the window as wide as possible, ostensibly to do the job I expect a reservoir capacitor to do without external assistance.
Interestingly, they claim that the cable some also "suppresses noise." Quite the feat.

Interestingly, they claim that the cable some also "suppresses noise." Quite the feat.
Not necessarily, I think. As I read the blurb there is high-permeability filler in the dielectric which means common-mode noise is filtered - which is why I wrote differential bandwidth.

Not necessarily, I think. As I read the blurb there is high-permeability filler in the dielectric which means common-mode noise is filtered - which is why I wrote differential bandwidth.
It doesn't say what kind of noise it suppresses, so your charitable interpretation could be the intended one.

Anyhow, the claim about how the cable can "take advantage of the extraordinary stored capacitive power reserves in the wiring of your home and street" seems somewhat improbable. We're still talking about AC, right?

Hopefully someone will be along to explain how a cable can increase the voltage or available current to your equipment when the current available is determined by the impedance of the mains supply into your property combined with the impedance of the fixed wiring. The voltage is obviously fixed, but within certain variables dependant upon load on the supply generator, distance from local transformer and loads upon the phase at any one time.

Hopefully someone will be along to explain how a cable can increase the voltage or available current to your equipment when the current available is determined by the impedance of the mains supply into your property combined with the impedance of the fixed wiring. The voltage is obviously fixed, but within certain variables dependant upon load on the supply generator, distance from local transformer and loads upon the phase at any one time.
Of course they will.

CARDAS ….

either the legacy discontinued predecessor model GOLDEN REFERENCE; , or alternatively, its current CLEAR REFERENCE model (… or go even better with CLEAR or CLEAR BEYOND)

I’ve had yeoman service results with LFD, Build-My-Own FURUTECH and OYAIDE ….. but with ATLAS and ECOSSE = Not so much.

I found it perfectly phrased intimating improved performance without actually stating that it will audibly improve sound quality, which of course it can’t and won’t.
Keith

I know a lot of you say if you hear a difference then that's fine you have made an improvement. Be it real or not it's your money and is conceived as an improvement.

What is annoying is the spread of this information across the internet. More and more people believe. More and more people conned.

Also, this forum (and others) has a number of electronic engineers who's unbiased advice is often discarded in favour of marketing blurb. What a waste of a fabulous resource.

Why is it assumed that every one has the same electrical supply. Why do you assume that people do not hear improvements. Same electrical supply but why would a loaded ring main sound the same as a dedicated ring or radial circuit. Electronic engineers are not unbiased, they surely are biased.

I have had enjoyable electrical supplies without problems and audio disaster in my current home where the components have adjusted voltage.... not at all good ...however using a regenerator makes an incredible difference. I use interconnects using 100% silver foil according to maker with superb results as opposed to the resident electronics genius with who sticks with the wire to get you going.

Fuses have nothing to do with sound.....what absolute cobblers that is!

I have highish end kit with a fantastic sound and if i abided by the electronic engineers I would not have achieved such results.

Electrical engineers have a far greater knowledge than me but superior sound can be achieved beyond a book.

Nothing else matters.

Fuses have nothing to do with sound.....what absolute cobblers that is!
58cd94650ec12c02.jpg

This thread is just the latest and all-too-often repeating post that morphs into a predictable cable war. It’s a 50-50 binary choice split: wherein each camp is firmly entrenched in their own experiences in a futile crusade with NO HOPE of ever convincing the other side.

“ …There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently.”
― Robert Evans

Just a sampler of the conflicting trench warfare reviews:

Can Power Cords Have an Effect on an Audio System’s Sound?

https://audiophilereview.com/cables/can-power-cords-have-an-effect-on-an-audio-systems-sound/
- Steven Stone looks at two divergent views on power cords…

WHY POWER CABLES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/why-power-cables-make-a-difference/

MY TAKE:

Believe in what your ears say not hearsay ….

Why is it assumed that every one has the same electrical supply.
An engineer does not make that assumption. Every engineer designs for the ranges of inputs a design will experience. That's normal procedure and it includes mains power.

There are, for example, test conditions in published IEC 60000-series (IIRC) standards, set out by engineers for reference by other engineers. These provide mains supply ranges and other deviations from perfection for designers to test their designs against, to check that they cope with the sort of imperfections expected on mains supplies. That does not mean all engineers are good and do this, of course. And it is possible for mains supplies to occasionally go further away from perfect than expected.

From a system architecture PoV the best place to cope with mains imperfections is right there in the basic power supply. If anything can be done externally it can be done in the best place too.

The more I pay for a bit of kit the less sensitive I expect it to be to unwanted external influence. The world of high-end audio seems to work differently. But I do know others see the hobby in a way I don't.

advertisement

Back