advertisement

Internet Security Recommendations Please.

If you want to add another layer of protection for free do a Google for “Windows 10 Standard User” - you reduce the risk of infection if you use the PC as a Standard User day to day and only logon as an Admin to do jobs like software installs and config changes. Article here:

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/limited-windows-account/

1 – Administrator Account – An Administrator account on a Windows PC is very much like the Root account on a Unix/Linux machine.​

In a nutshell, a user logged into an account with Administrator privileges can do pretty much anything on the computer. He/she can view every file on the system, change system-wide system settings, run all installed programs, add new programs, install new hardware and change the usernames and passwords of other users.​

2 – Standard Account – A Standard user account cannot change most system-wide settings, run software that the account hasn’t been given permission to use, install new software or hardware that affects the entire system or change the usernames and passwords of other users.​

What’s more, using a standard account will prevent most malware and other malicious programs and apps from making changes to your Windows system. And as you can imagine, that makes your system more secure.​

If someone users their SOHO network for business and family then they should really isolate the LANs i.e. use one for business and another for family but they are kept separate i.e. no intercommunication between the 2 LANs. You can even add a third LAN for visitors. In this way everyone can access the Internet but a compromised computer can't access the devices on the other LANs.

I can do this in my DrayTek router using VLANs that have different SSIDs and associated passwords. I have a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz SSIDs for the business LAN and another two SSIDs for the family LAN and another pair for visitors.

Another thing that I do is de-elevate the families Windows/macOS/Linux accounts to that of a standard user. This protects their OS kernels from malicious attack. True they can still get their browser attacked but that is fairly simple to fix.

DV

I've split my home wifi into a private 2.4 & 5Ghz band with a separate 2.4Ghz with its own SSID and password for guests. It's also the one I chuck all the potentially unsecure IoT stuff like smart sockets - if those get hacked, the worst they can do is turn my lights on and off and they can't get to the rest of the network. :D

Thank you all for the advice.
In the end it became a no-brainer with an Amazon offer: Norton 360 Premium for 10 devices for 15 months £13.59.

advertisement

Back