advertisement

Pocket camera alternative to Fujifilm XT-2 ?

wulbert

pfm Member
I'm getting fed up lugging my XT-2 and various lenses about. On holiday recently, I deliberately left the camera bag behind when we went for walks. Took a pair of binoculars and bottle of water instead.

I'm wondering if there is a good-quality, small camera that could fit in a pocket and still give decent (i.e.excellent) results? A zoom lens may be asking too much but would be handy.

I'd have about £500 to spend after selling the XT-2 and lenses and keeping some of the cash for hi-fi, so that's my budget. I don't mind buying good-condition used gear from reliable sources.

Please don't suggest I "just get a good phone". I hate the friggin' things and being self-employed I don't want to look at it when I'm out taking pictures.

Has anyone else made this change with good results? ( I should say I am a bit of a Fuji fan, so it would be nice to stay with the brand but not a deal breaker) Thanks.

The default answer for the pocketable lightweight camera is something from the Sony RX100 series. Fuji don't really have an equivalent.

I have a Fuji X30 (7 years old) which I’ve looked at replacing a few times but not found anything that suits me more, if it fails unrepairably I’ve already decided the Sony RX100 Mk3 or higher is where I’ll go. No sign of a Fuji X40 being in the pipeline which is a pity. Like you I don’t get on with a phone camera. You should get an immaculate used RX100 well within budget.

I have a full Canon DSLR kit but it’s a faff lugging it around so the Fuji gets taken along 90% of the time. Did buy an Olympus OMD in the hope it would be a throwback to my OM10/OM2 film days but it’s not worked out that way, suppose I should move it on really.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Take a moment to consider wheter you want to have a camera that has

Rear Screen Only
Optical Viewfinder
Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) like your X-T2

A lot of the budget compact cameras don't have an EVF, and if that is important to you, then it will help with your choices.

Quite a lot of older models available on teh used market (not just eBay, but from dealers with warranty)

How big is your pocket, I have a Fuji X100 v in mine when I don’t want to lug around my D850 kit!

Take a moment to consider wheter you want to have a camera that has

Rear Screen Only
Optical Viewfinder
Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) like your X-T2

A lot of the budget compact cameras don't have an EVF, and if that is important to you, then it will help with your choices.

Quite a lot of older models available on teh used market (not just eBay, but from dealers with warranty)

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd forgotten that a viewfinder is an essential. Peering at a LED screen on a sunny day is no use at all. A decent EVF is fine, they are pretty god nowadays.

EDIT: Or any kind of viewfinder really. Even the old Olympus Trip style rangefinder with framing guides would do.

"Travel Camera" ! Yeah, that's what I want. A travel camera. Glad it has a name.

:)
... that attracted me too.

Also the inclusion of an EVF - have had a couple of Panasonic cameras in the past and both had very useable EVFs.
Should think the Leica lens will also live up to its name as well ;)

I have a Panasonic TZ100 as my carry about/backup camera. The viewfinder is small but useable. It is in your budget. Best not to carry any camera with a telescopic lens "naked" in your pocket. It increases the risk of dust on the sensor. I keep mine in a Hama case.

How big is your pocket, I have a Fuji X100 v in mine when I don’t want to lug around my D850 kit!

I was going to say the same thing! I used to carry a Fuji X100T around in my pocket and sorely regret letting it go. I took some of my favourite personal photos with that camera. I.e. photos that won't win any competitions but which mean a lot to me.

I would definitely recommend you go abd try one out to see if it works for your use case.

Lefty

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out.

I can't believe there are 30X optical zooms on some of these small cameras! It seems incredible. I assume there's a downside, maybe poorer performance in low light. I'm not sure a zoom is that essential. I was happy being stuck with a 28mm on my 35mm SLR for years.

I need to have a good think about what my priorities are.

I would stick with Fuji as you won't get the functionality/real buttons and dials with anything much smaller. You mention lenses - maybe decide on one zoom lens and move closer if not long enough as Ken Rockwell would say, instead of carrying several. Maybe also consider moving to the smaller but very similar X-Txx series rather than the X-Tx series.

I used a Sony RX100 MkIII as my pocketable camera for quite a while but have moved to a Panasonic TZ100 now. Both are very good cameras and if you're ok with the shorter zoom lens then the RX100 is particularly good. The TZ100 is slightly bigger but has a better zoom range (although the lens is slower), considerably better battery life and I also prefer that the viewfinder isn't a pop-up one, although the RX100 viewfinder is bigger and better. Both have larger than normal sensors for a point and shoot and both are very capable.

Prior to those I tried a Micro 4/3 system but while I quite liked it (and I've various bodies and lenses) the quality/weight compromise wasn't really working for me i.e. if I'm packing light I prefer the point and shoot and if I'm in the mood for "proper" photography I'll take my Pentax K1.

advertisement

Back