advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not entirely sure what riots are intended/hoped to achieve. The most immediate outcome would probably be (even more) repressive legislation. I know that the theory is that sufficient repression would cause more unrest and ultimately revolution, but a) a lot of blood would be shed and b) there’s no guarantee that post-revolution we wouldn’t end up with even worse bastards in charge.
There never seems to be a good outcome, it just further stigmatises & damages poor neighbourhoods.

Nobody should be surprised that it's the Tory voting over-50s and especially the over 65s (who use the trains less or only occasionally) who mainly oppose the strikes, while younger people are supportive to neutral.The same people who are to receive above-inflation pension increases incidentally. I'm sick and tired of these people holding the country to ransom and effing up the future.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/survey-results/daily/2022/06/08/d6f7e/3

Couldn't agree more. I am incensed that the rail strikes have such little support. Who in their right mind can support a government as corrupt and morally bankrupt as this one while they blame wages for the cost of living increase when in fact its their handling of the energy crisis, fuel prices and Brexit that is the root cause of this utter mess!

Looks like the majority support the strike action. Government is blatantly putting party before country only a matter of time before BoJo the clown is gone.

There never seems to be a good outcome, it just further stigmatises & damages poor neighbourhoods.

That's not always true. The Brixton uprising succeeded in drawing a lot of attention to the racist policing that community had suffered.

The Home Secretary, William Whitelaw, commissioned a public inquiry into the riot headed by Lord Scarman. The Scarman report was published on 25 November 1981. Scarman found unquestionable evidence of the disproportionate and indiscriminate use of 'stop and search' powers by the police against black people. As a consequence, a new code for police behaviour was put forward in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984; and the act also created an independent Police Complaints Authority, established in 1985, to attempt to restore public confidence in the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Brixton_riot#Aftermath

Another Tory slimeball put in their place:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1539211930828668928

Gloriously refreshing to see these people treated with the complete contempt they deserve.
Remember when the 2010 Tory intake seemed beyond the pale compared with what had gone before?
Gullis represents a new breed of Tory MP along with the likes of Natalie Elphicke, even further right but dim with it, who make Marine Le Pen sound sophisticated. That old “our armed services won’t be able to celebrate armed services day because of you” was so transparently from the far right/ Kipper/ Tommy Robinson recipe book. Delightful to see Mick Lynch hand him his arse, almost as enjoyable as Natalie getting her comeuppance, hopelessly out of her depth, misreading the crowd-

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1505118478398894088?s=21&t=tVwb_oEoJbwD5Q4JRi4Sdg

That's not always true. The Brixton uprising succeeded in drawing a lot of attention to the racist policing that community had suffered.

The Home Secretary, William Whitelaw, commissioned a public inquiry into the riot headed by Lord Scarman. The Scarman report was published on 25 November 1981. Scarman found unquestionable evidence of the disproportionate and indiscriminate use of 'stop and search' powers by the police against black people. As a consequence, a new code for police behaviour was put forward in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984; and the act also created an independent Police Complaints Authority, established in 1985, to attempt to restore public confidence in the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Brixton_riot#Aftermath

and the abandoned through secret guidance to the police - which we saw enacted in the miners' strike

and the abandoned through secret guidance to the police - which we saw enacted in the miners' strike

And forty years later we're still discussing institutional racism in the Metropolitan Police. But there's no question to me that the events in Brixton shone a spotlight on it that helped bring about change. I'd like to think things have gone marginally better even if there's still a very long way to go.

And forty years later we're still discussing institutional racism in the Metropolitan Police. But there's no question to me that the events in Brixton shone a spotlight on it that helped bring about change. I'd like to think things have gone marginally better even if there's still a very long way to go.

It was Broadwater Farm where they took a 'bloody good hiding' that really shook them up. Riot police swamped the estate, using their truncheons to bash their shields while chanting, “Niggers, Niggers, Niggers.” No evidence that they'd changed after Brixton at all. They then framed Silcott and Co for the murder of Blakelock and the rest is history, the cases collapsed just 3 years later.

There is power in a factory, power in the land
Power in the hand of the worker
But it all amounts to nothing
If together we don't stand
There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past
Were all learned with workers' blood
The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for
From the cities and the farmlands
To trenches full of mud
War's always been the bosses' way, sir

The Union forever defending our rights