advertisement

Cassette deck tech recommendation

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I have a very nice Aiwa AD-6900 in need of repair (playback on one channel only and a noisy motor). These are complex and fiddly to work on so am looking for an experienced hand. I’m based in SE London but can travel. Any recommendations here?

Thank you.

Hi,

You could sign up to Tapeheads - www.tapeheads.net - which would involve registration, an informal introduction and then seek help, perhaps a member close to your location might be able to assist.

Irrespective of that, being a member should enable you to keep the deck in very good order, the people over there are affable, informed and generous with their prodigious knowledge of tape decks.

Failing that route, someone like Peter Dolman at DolmanAV is recommended, albeit he is very busy having taken on much of the Nakamichi service work that B&W previously undertook.

I had one of these once - a lovely thing.

I actually threw it away after the belt needed replacing, and a look inside convinced me it would be a nightmare job costing a fortune - still kicking myself :(

It really is a classy and classic-looking player. Logic controls are responsive and motors seem ok (one is noisy though). Record is good on both channels but only one channel on playback (headphones and rca outs). Visually it is excellent so will be kept as part of my hifi furniture if it doesn’t get fixed.

advertisement

Back