advertisement

Life Before the Golden Arches

A Wimpy burger was a (rare) treat when I was a child and I enjoyed their Spicy Beanburgers when I was a student, McDonald's burgers are horrible - and Burger King ones aren't much better.

Plus you got tea in a proper China cup, not a bloomin styrofoam thing.
Yea, I’m getting old but I don’t care.

Wimpy were the first to introduce a vegetarian option, in the shape of the rather excellent Spicy Bean Burger.

At the time the CEO of MacDonalds announced they’d not be catering for weird minorities (or something like that). I’ve avoided MacDonalds ever since.

Yep. I think the spicy bean burger was my first toe-dip into the veggie world. It was bloody lovely with quite a zing to it. McD and BK offerings are bland as Bland Jack McBland in comparison.

fnarr-finbar.jpg

Popped into my local one for the first time on Friday. I was slightly ‘refreshed’, but it certainly hit the spot. Not a mile away from Ireland’s Supermac’s, if you’re familiar with it.

I think Wimpy is still the dominant chain in South Africa and, last I looked, it was also still the main fast food option at highway rest stops. ISTR they added veggie burgers to the menu about twenty years ago.

As a 70’s born kid we used to stop off at a wimpy for a treat when we visited my mums folks up in Achnamara Argyll from Galloway, twice a year we had the option of stopping on the way up or the way back down, can’t remember what I used to order but I do remember there was a jar of free lollipops on the counter so my dad used to distract the server and grab a handful for the journey………..happy days :)

I like the way they call thin chips French Fried Potatoes. At some point the word potatoes must have been dropped. Probably before trading standards got involved.

I think Wimpy is still the dominant chain in South Africa and, last I looked, it was also still the main fast food option at highway rest stops. ISTR they added veggie burgers to the menu about twenty years ago.
Indeed it is. My first experience there was at Sun City. As a change from the superb restaurants, we went into the Wimpy.
Lady waitress came over to ask ' it is all fine?' Five minutes later, 'is it still fine?' 4 times!
Recall one in a Kruger Park rest area too.

Wimpy were the first to introduce a vegetarian option, in the shape of the rather excellent Spicy Bean Burger.

At the time the CEO of MacDonalds announced they’d not be catering for weird minorities (or something like that). I’ve avoided MacDonalds ever since.

I remember eating those a couple of times, I didn't mind the initial taste but objected to the regular repeats :confused: burrrrp

Indeed it is. My first experience there was at Sun City. As a change from the superb restaurants, we went into the Wimpy.
Lady waitress came over to ask ' it is all fine?' Five minutes later, 'is it still fine?' 4 times!
Recall one in a Kruger Park rest area too.

Drove from Potchefstroom to Barberton many times, visiting in-laws. We used to stop for food at one of the Shell Ultra City stations, usually around Middelburg. There was always a Wimpy, or maybe sometimes a Steers.

Only been to Sun City once. Mrs. Hook's uncle and I played a few rounds of golf there. One of the very few times I had a caddy. Mine was a joy - lots of great stories, and a very wry sense of humor. He had caddied for some of the greats, including Ernie Els. He told me that Els and I had something in common! What, I eagerly asked. He said we both had taken our games about as far as our talent levels would allow. :D Sun City was also the only time I ever had to hit over a crocodile pit!

We are planning a trip for next year, probably in March. Been too long, and I miss SA a lot.

Used to go to the one in Broadmarsh in Nottingham as a kid in the 80s, it was already on its uppers though and usually a ghost town.

Went there many moons ago when we did a tour around the cave complex in the Broadmarsh.
The caves were well worth the trip, the Wimpy much less so :(

Nostalgia for me as I practically lived in the Wimpy on Saturday afternoons as a kid ... fond memories of being told to either buy something or move on ....

advertisement

Back